The history of the Westshoremen

You must have missed them but for the Quiet Riot Loverboy concert, ZEBRA was the opening act!!! THAT to me was the highlight of that show! I had a cousin that lived on Long Island and was a huge fan...I'd heard them before Who's Behind the Door broke on radio and MTV, way back since they allowed taping in the clubs and she used to send them to me. QR was ok...Loverboy sucked, but in those days I wasn't walking out of a concert that I paid THAT MUCH MONEY for! (probably $15-20.!)

As far as bands that don't have a member or two...as far as I'm concerned as long as it's not the lead singer in most cases I can tolerate it. Yes has changed so many times that it isn't funny, but when I saw them without Jon Anderson, it sucked! (yeah, it was great to see Steve Howe, but..it sucked! :thumbdown: )

Styx with the different drummer worked

Def Leppard? Saw them when the drummer had both arms, and most of the band was still alive, won't go see them now.

Dave Matthews is different since the sax player died, and they added Tim Reynolds on guitar, but it's still a good show. (Rush without ANY of the three is not Rush)

I've only seen Chicago without Terry Kath, and will admit it WAS a better band with Pete Cetera and Danny Seraphine, but it's still a good show.

I guess it depends...

Saw Def lappard in 06....gotta be honest, #### good show.

Styx with the drummer...hell yeah. Styx without Dennis...no ####### way.

Rush won't happen without all 3. Hence the six years off.

Question, Jeff- is there any good footage of the Def Leppard drummer out there? Never seen him play, I hear he still kicks ###.

My guess is he's got a very well thought out kit which gives him access to things easier for his remaining arm, and he has extra foot pedals to compensate.

If I ever teach a kid who needs adaptave equipemt, things like that are always good to see what is and can be done for starters.

Speaking of kids who need things adapted for them-- I worked with a young man that happened to have Down's at Ephrata. Played the Gun Drum on sideline.

Being the techie/clean up freak I am, I watched him once early on in a run through and in percussion sectional. Has the music with him, etc. Real legit parts, not fluff, the young man NEVER put a note out of place. And you know-- a person with the Gun Drum/Concert bass could really blow up stuff if they were. I never worried after that. As for the Marimbas, who liked making stuff up that didn't look like anything on the score...... THERE, I worried. :satisfied: Great kid, great member of the band. One of those people you value having known and worked with because they made ME better for knowing them.

Dub, I'm sure there is...he just does a lot of with triggers that are foot controlled now

Edited by Jeff Ream

ok, so we have covered life, death, craziness including Rickie Lee and not, rock bands, some sports, marching band........and tons of other stuff....but we've been on 1982 fora year I think and we're just now in July of 82.

:blink:

Saw Def lappard in 06....gotta be honest, #### good show.

Styx with the drummer...hell yeah. Styx without Dennis...no ####### way.

Rush won't happen without all 3. Hence the six years off.

Yeah...but I just don't dig DL's newer music, that's all.... I think the e-kit is a pretty ool setup and was totally pioneering! Dude wanted to play..give him credit!

No Styx without Dennis is another Tommy Shaw solo act.. no thanks!

Yep..Rush with no Neil means solo albums, no tours (at this point) Honestly, I think this is the last album, and sets of tours! Neil is the deciding factor, and as long as he's having fun, it'll keep going. (btw, like the new album? I think it's pretty good)

Yeah...but I just don't dig DL's newer music, that's all.... I think the e-kit is a pretty ool setup and was totally pioneering! Dude wanted to play..give him credit!

No Styx without Dennis is another Tommy Shaw solo act.. no thanks!

Yep..Rush with no Neil means solo albums, no tours (at this point) Honestly, I think this is the last album, and sets of tours! Neil is the deciding factor, and as long as he's having fun, it'll keep going. (btw, like the new album? I think it's pretty good)

love the new album. my favorite since probably test for Echo.

and the same could be with Geddy and Alex...when Alex was facing his legal difficulties, the band decided to wait to see how it turned out

LOL ZZ Top at the Island (Eliminator) right after Gimme All Your Lovin came out and they were starting to push Sharp Dressed Man and Kixx (from Baltimore?) as opener. Female friend and I sat on the bleachers waaay from the crowd in front of the stage. Must have sat with their fans or groupies cuz in between badns they were all talking about what bar to hit. Then ZZ started and we realized that group around us wasn't coming back..... :blink:

Edit: ZZ at the Island was a scream, they wore white coveralls and main effect during the show was different colored spotlights made 'em look like they changed cloths and lotsa duckwalking and moving together. At HersheyArena (Recycler) whole stage look like a junkyard, babes dancing out once or twice and special effects out the yingee. Needed it cuz Recycler sucked compared to the previous two albums. Big crowd response was the Eliminator and before songs.

LOL - got a ZZ poster at Glen Millers for my sister and when I picked her up for the Hershey concert my folks asked what the band was like. I showed them the poster and ---> :rock:

Yeah - big southern rock, guitar fan..... last CD I bought (gift certificate) was Blackfoot....

Saw ZZ with Cheap Trick (original band) up in Scranton years back (like 1997)...both were great... sadly the crowd was only into the 80's crap and didn't dig the real old, or post Eliminator stuff... I thought it was all good... those old buggers can PLAY! And the guitar player for Cheap Trick was awesome!

Saw ZZ with Cheap Trick (original band) up in Scranton years back (like 1997)...both were great... sadly the crowd was only into the 80's crap and didn't dig the real old, or post Eliminator stuff... I thought it was all good... those old buggers can PLAY! And the guitar player for Cheap Trick was awesome!

Well if the Scranton crowd didn't lose it on the first riff on "Jesus Just Left Chicago" the Hades wit' 'em.... :cool: One of the louder responses at the Hershey (Recycler) tour IIRC. LOL - biggest one at the Stones concert (eary 90s) was the cowbell start to "Honky Tonk Women", couldn't hear Keef playing at all.

Thinking of the concert DVDs we're loading up on. Stones (so-so), ZZ Top (few years back in a smaller setting), Who (ca 1977 and 1970 - noted for Townsend stopping during a song and saying "Well that wasn't ####### worth it".), Skynyrd, Beatles "Hard Days Night and "Help" (thank you Coke bonus point - waiting for "Yellow Submarine" that isn't $$$$$), AC/DC ($10 at Walmart!!!). LOL - 2 DVDs Barnes & Noble couldn't give away of early Beatles stuff (They played hard in concert when it wasn't Ed Sullican) and Motown on Ed Sullivan. A DVD of Ringos All-Starr (2 'R's) band with Gary wright (sucko), Colin Hay (Men At Work) and Edgar Winter (best one in the group). And Dollar Store of a 60s reunion DVD that I think PBS played.

And a whole crapload of DC DVDs inculding 1990, 1974 and 1970 Westshore.... And have some of 1985 ICA Champs on DVD but it's in PC format and my crap### DVD player can't read it. :thumbdown: Plus two DVDs of WSM Alumni. Oh yeah... two concert DVDs of "that corps" from Hanover. :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I have a bunch off concert DVD's and find myself not really watching them...not the same as a live show...I dunno...and I keep buying them for some of my favorite bands (as well as VHS tapes in days of yore) CD's now, I have more than my share of them, legal store bought, some not so illegal and not store bought (secret download sites) and a whole lotta bootleg shows.

No at the ZZTOP show up in Scranton it was ONLY the Legs/Sharp Dressed Man/Gimme All Your Lovin' part of the show that got the crowd going crazy! they didn't do Jesus Left Chicago which was a bummer, but they did slide a couple other bluesy tunes in....personally I thought it was a great show! (and I have a bootleg recording of it) I hate when people only dig the "radio-friendly" tunes certain bands play. I was walking out of a Dave Matthews show a few years back, and some chick and her boyfriend were talking to another couple on the way out:

Couple #1: So what'd ya think? great show, huh?

Couple #2: It sucked! They didn't play Crash, Satellite or What Would You Say!

Couple #1: Then go see them tomorrow, they might play then then!

Ok, Dave plays a different setlist EVERY NIGHT, he doesn't stick to "the hits" and he doesn't stick to the original arrangement...like it or not he's still a "JAM BAND" and they take artistic license at will. Funny stuff if ya ask me!

I hate when people only dig the "radio-friendly" tunes certain bands play. I was walking out of a Dave Matthews show a few years back, and some chick and her boyfriend were talking to another couple on the way out:

Couple #1: So what'd ya think? great show, huh?

Couple #2: It sucked! They didn't play Crash, Satellite or What Would You Say!

Couple #1: Then go see them tomorrow, they might play then then!

Ok, Dave plays a different setlist EVERY NIGHT, he doesn't stick to "the hits" and he doesn't stick to the original arrangement...like it or not he's still a "JAM BAND" and they take artistic license at will. Funny stuff if ya ask me!

LMAO, sister enters my name in a contest and wins tickets to the Alleman Brothers in Burgettstown (Pittsburgh). Weird contest, had a choice of 12 sites with different types of music (rap, country, rock, etc). We pick Allemans even thou they were furtherest away and guessing there would be 2 tickets when we get there. At the concert site we get 4!!!! tickets and no way to sell them since we were at the gate and no one was looking to buy. We end up 20 rows from the front and a kid sit in one of the empties two away from me. OK.. we leave him go until one of his buddies sits in the other seat. I chase the buddy out and when the kid squawks I point to the tickets... the now empty seat.. the seat HE is in... and me. He gets the idea and was real quiet rest of the show and no one tried to sit next to me. Bad part was we missed DCA (2004?) for this but had a nice weekend hanging in the area as we got a hotel. Allemans even have a bus that cuts CDs of the show you just heard. You pre-order and about 45 minutes after end of show you pick up the 3 CD set. By that time traffic is about gone so works out. One of the best concerts we went to.

Reminded me because Allemans and Dickie Betts were having one of their peroidic snits and ABB played NO Dickie Betts songs. With youger Trucks (Govt Mule, ABB) doing a solo set and ABB yamming a 3 hour show. Band comes back for the encore and we're thinking "OK time for 'Rambling Man'. Nope..... they played "Layla" which they alternate with another song (forget which one) at shows. Best comment I heard was "23 ####### minutes of (forget song) and no ####### 'Rambling Man'?"

Other hit was guy looking liek a less steroided version of wrestler Superstar Billy Graham with a bleached blonde biker babe. He had a black t-shirt "New York ###ing City" with a look that said "Say something!".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Yeah,. when the Allmans played Hershey the last time they had the CD bus there, but it didn't take 45 minutes, I have to admit it was pretty organized and fast! (What's sort of weird is that the Allmans are one of the few "taper bands" that don't allow online downloading..They let you tape, they let you trade the old fashioned way (either show for show, or blanks for a show) but they won't let any of the download sites host any of their shows (even the one site I use that will put official stuff up) Gov't Mule does the same thing, but you have to download it from their site...you get a code and then you can go in and get your show. The Who does the same thing but added DVD's.

I also get a kick out of these "fans" on some of the bands sites that refuse to go to because they either aren't playing certain tunes, or are playing too much of the new album, or whatever...Rush for example usually tries to mix it up good with old and new material, and usually from tour to tour they swap songs in and out, but when they have a new album (such as now) they wil play a bit more of the new album (obviously, and I don't blame them, they've done it on every tour they supported a new album) One of the sites I frequent has a few people saying that if they lay more than 50% of the new album they aren't going to see them...really? Ok, the band is all in their 60's (or soon to be) how many more years will they tour? I don't care if they're playing a set of all Jewish folksongs, it's gonna be a good show! :thumbup: But some of the drama (which I'm guessing is just for attention) is a bit too much... The good "fan sites" are all turning into the same BS, unlike the early days when the old AOL fan boards were running...got to chat with a few guys from Zappa's old bands on there, and the drummer and former lead singer from a prog-metal band called Dream Theater, in fact I still get email updates on things from their drummer (well former drummer, he left the band last year, but has other great projects going) I don't think any band member worth their salt is going to attempt that now with how crazy it's gotten.

Edited by Jaminbenb