The history of the Westshoremen

I'm looking at a 96 recap.

According to what I'm seeing--

Westshore strong 2nd in visual, down .3 to Cabs.

1st in Field Percussion up .8 on Cabs, who were 3rd.

In Brass Ensemble and excellence-- Tied for 2nd, .4 down to Cabs. Dave had you 3rd, the Ensemble guy had you second. And I have said this before and will repeat it- Knowing what I know, and you know more or less what I know from this time period-- For Westshore to knock off Bush's hornline and tie Empire in these captions was VERY impressive. Empire's hornlines under Donny Allen were very well put together and airtight. Bush's hornlines werent as sanitary but always had great books. And teh Cabs under Mike Longdo were always in the thick of things- they could play and on any given day could beat any of the other hornlines, period. To have done what the Westshore hornline did ain't hay. And for people who criticize the "inside job", worry more about the Brass Ensemble guy who had Westshore ranked second.

Statistical dead heat in effect. I see what you mean about Guard. In today's judging system it would have been a serious game breaker for Westshore. Also, I note a second in GE brass for Westshore, only really a nick under the Cabs. Another serious accomplishment.

Cabs 3rd in GE percussion.

You know, one could make the argument the hornline hung on tight enough for the corps to win... OR, and maybe some of the Cabs would get upset by saying this-- their percussion didn't get er done.

Westshore's horns got it done more than Cab's Percussion, but from looking at the numbers, no one was really in the same ballpark as the Westshore Percussion section, No one seemed to be able to do enough damage control. THAT was the difference. Just my tuppence.

And Believe me, I see people still angsty about 96. Psrt of it is that it's easier for most people in the stands to figure out brass excellence... but percussion's a scary and arcane art for most Joe Taco-in-a-bag-eaters in the stands. And for that matter, dare I say, more than a few judges.

All I can say it had to have been one He!!uva contest, I wasn't around that season, I was mixed up with another circuit. :innocent: Westshore did what was necessary to win. John and Dave didn't matter one bit of squat. The numbers are consistent with everyone else's.

Dub, you speak logic, but in some AL posts, the year between 95 and 97 is not to be mentioned. Ever

Driving home from the upper valley provinces of Northeast PA, and seeing the various fireworks displays under way, I got nostalgic for a few memorable ones.....

I always loved practicing at Carlisle the day of the fireworks because the guys setting up were sending volleys of "big boom" into the air all day to alert the neighbors that "hey...we're here!" :thumbup:

I also remember the "Sheik Yerbouti" sermon on the mount from Eric down in Fairfax :blink: Coupled with the ever famous:

"YOU DO NOT MOVE! IF YOU ARE SITTING THERE TAKING A DUMP AND A MOSQUITO THE SIZE OF A B-52 LANDS ON YOUR NOSE YOU DO NOT MOVE!!!! :tongue:

Good times! :lookaround:

Driving home from the upper valley provinces of Northeast PA, and seeing the various fireworks displays under way, I got nostalgic for a few memorable ones.....

I always loved practicing at Carlisle the day of the fireworks because the guys setting up were sending volleys of "big boom" into the air all day to alert the neighbors that "hey...we're here!" :thumbup:

Good times! :lookaround:

Practice for Carlisle... earlier we had parades somewhere and then the exhibtion at the stadium (practice.. what practice). Memories of "Oh #### they turned the lights off already... please don't start the firewokd until we're off the ######## field.. OH #####!!!". Then Benny beocthing because if the truck wasn't loaded before the fireworks were half over, we'd be stuck in traffic. Think I'd help load and then finish changing as Benny was hauling butt to the main drag of Car-liss-le. Man, was I even skinny and limber enough to dress in a friggin' moving truck?

PS - next lightning bolt hit the family. Sis-in-law went off her Harley yesterday and waiting for her doctor to check everything out. Group went up to State College and she spilled somewhere in the middle of no where. Local hospital/clinic/Dr Nicks place (Simpsons) thought she was just banged up but just in case wanted to LifeLion her to Hershey (probably checked the insurance and wanted to see a heal-i-o-copter). They finally called a friend and drove her home in a car. Kris says she sounds beat (up) and stiff as Hades.

Hey Ben we were at Hershey Med Tues for testing at 30 Hope Dr (Neurology Dept). Took the long and winding road (Sand Hill?) behind the place to kill time. LOL, got to pass the cop by the speed trap near the Christian School.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Practice for Carlisle... earlier we had parades somewhere and then the exhibtion at the stadium (practice.. what practice). Memories of "Oh #### they turned the lights off already... please don't start the firewokd until we're off the ######## field.. OH #####!!!". Then Benny beocthing because if the truck wasn't loaded before the fireworks were half over, we'd be stuck in traffic. Think I'd help load and then finish changing as Benny was hauling butt to the main drag of Car-liss-le. Man, was I even skinny and limber enough to dress in a friggin' moving truck?

PS - next lightning bolt hit the family. Sis-in-law went off her Harley yesterday and waiting for her doctor to check everything out. Group went up to State College and she spilled somewhere in the middle of no where. Local hospital/clinic/Dr Nicks place (Simpsons) thought she was just banged up but just in case wanted to LifeLion her to Hershey (probably checked the insurance and wanted to see a heal-i-o-copter). They finally called a friend and drove her home in a car. Kris says she sounds beat (up) and stiff as Hades.

Hey Ben we were at Hershey Med Tues for testing at 30 Hope Dr (Neurology Dept). Took the long and winding road (Sand Hill?) behind the place to kill time. LOL, got to pass the cop by the speed trap near the Christian School.

#### Christians speeding!! :tongue:

30 Hope, what a nice place! The Mrs. has a clinic in that building so I've spent more than enough time waiting for her to drop something off, and get the heck out of there while dropping her off at work....

I just got back from the main campus over there spending my daily hour (or so) at the fitness center....shame I can't just march this beer off anymore! :doh:

ahhh, the Carlisle fireworks. Always a good time.

Fairfax was fun too. that poor hotel in 1990

Hotels and fast food places can merit a thread topic in and of themselves! I can only imagine people shaking their heads at some of the antics we pulled off over the years!

The worst offender was when Boston (1980) royally screwed up and didn't heed Hershman's warning to put us all on one of two out of the way floors! HE WARNED THEM! ! :tongue:

Edited by Jaminbenb

I still have flashback to Swerv in 93, at the hotel in Fairfax....sneakers and a smile.

in fact if you couldn't see the smile or the sneakers you couldn't se him, as his naked body blended into the darkness

I still have flashback to Swerv in 93, at the hotel in Fairfax....sneakers and a smile.

in fact if you couldn't see the smile or the sneakers you couldn't se him, as his naked body blended into the darkness

Nudity got to a point where you didn't even look twice...in fact there was a time I saw Rickie Lee's winkie more than my own :blink:

Then there was the pool in Clifton...the pool in Canton just hotel trips in general....I'll never forget there was this sleazy chick in the hornline...forget her name, real scrawney, red hair, not the best looking bird in the flock and exuded an air of "sleazieness" that was un-matched even in drum corps circles.... There were a whole bunch of us hanging in the hallway drinking beer, shooting the sheet, and she walks by with a pizza...someone said "she has food, let's follow her" and she made a comment to the effect of "you can eat the pizza, but you have to eat me first" :doh: No one followed her, mainly because we all knew she was serious!! :shutup: (and I'm thinking this was circa 1979-80-ish)

Nudity got to a point where you didn't even look twice...in fact there was a time I saw Rickie Lee's winkie more than my own :blink:

Then there was the pool in Clifton...the pool in Canton just hotel trips in general....I'll never forget there was this sleazy chick in the hornline...forget her name, real scrawney, red hair, not the best looking bird in the flock and exuded an air of "sleazieness" that was un-matched even in drum corps circles.... There were a whole bunch of us hanging in the hallway drinking beer, shooting the sheet, and she walks by with a pizza...someone said "she has food, let's follow her" and she made a comment to the effect of "you can eat the pizza, but you have to eat me first" :doh: No one followed her, mainly because we all knew she was serious!! :shutup: (and I'm thinking this was circa 1979-80-ish)

we had a girl like that in the guard in 90. her nickname was Corps Whore