The history of the Westshoremen

There are a LOT of stories I'll only discuss over beers....and after a few so people don't remember them the next day (Tröegs night anyone?) (Maybe when Mad Elf is on the tap list!)

Oh man.... if I'm drinking Mad Elf, I ain't driving anywhere!!! :tongue:

• Like 1

Oh man.... if I'm drinking Mad Elf, I ain't driving anywhere!!! :tongue:

Imagine if we had that stuff BITD! (along with cellphone cameras) :blink:

I remember when we were drooling over the beer that L'Odysee brought down to help "defer their expenses"! THAT stuff was powerful, and not even close to some of the stuff available today!

• Like 1

I knew Michel, one of the tenor players in L'Odysee and later Les Cascadares. We talked, he explained. It is available... if you know where to look or how to ask for it.

What they brought down was Labatt's and Molson Canadian, not the normal lesser export beer to the US. Tuborg does the same thing. Tuborg Gold is actually Tuborg Gron/Green, the lesser beer they serve in Denmark for example. I'd think the right distributor could get you the real Canadian Molson or Labatt's.

Also, another nice beer that's similar you can get here if you look and know how to ask- is Carlsberg Elephant. Twice the alcohol content of normal Carlsberg and very refreshing. I believe its classed as a Malt Liquor here in the US, but I've had it, and I liked it.

There was high Alcohol content beer BITD- Malt Liquor. Surprised more guys in the corps weren't drinking Colt.45. I think a lot had to do with cost.

Some of us in Sun, when we could get our hands on it, would drink Ballantine India Pale Ale after shows.

As you guys know, an IPA definitely has more of an alcohol punch than a standard ale, in many cases... and this was true with the Ballantine stuff. It was one of the earliest versions of an American IPA, from what I remember.

Two or three of them after a long day rehearsing and then performing, and it was pretty much lights out. LOL.

Imagine if we had that stuff BITD! (along with cellphone cameras) :blink:

We quite possibly would all still be in jail. :tongue:

• Like 1

Some of us in Sun, when we could get our hands on it, would drink Ballantine India Pale Ale after shows.

As you guys know, an IPA definitely has more of an alcohol punch than a standard ale, in many cases... and this was true with the Ballantine stuff. It was one of the earliest versions of an American IPA, from what I remember.

Two or three of them after a long day rehearsing and then performing, and it was pretty much lights out. LOL.

From the Wiki:

"Also in regular production was a now legendary and very highly regarded world-class India Pale Ale (an intensely bitter and aromatic brew which, like the Brown Stout, was aged 1 year in wood prior to bottling)."

So yeah, you guys were very, very lucky to be able to grab those Ballantines back then. In that era beer in the US was on the decline, really. No wonder many of us have an appreciation for quality beer after all the swill that was sent out in the US during the 70's when only 40 breweries were running in the US and they were struggling. I still remember either Bruce Bolich, Buddy, or some crazy beer guys getting the generic "BEER" BITD and even they thought it was BAD.

Yeah BITD, even IC used to age for a several months in large wooden storage barrels. As a kid, I saw them before they were phased out at IC. It changed the flavor of IC for the worse when they went to the steel barrels and added chemicals to age the beer faster.

In spite of my advanced age, I seem to recall LOTS AND LOTS of green and gold cans in "cold storage" in the luggage compartments of the busses.

Unofficially, the official beer of the Westshoremen.....

Genesee Cream Ale.

Brewed from the "sparkling" waters of the Geneseo River.

Pure refreshment... :guinesssmilie:

WTH were we thinking??????

Could explain numerous things.... not the least of which is why no one from any of the other corps ever asked for a beer from us!! :doh:

Yeah W, beer was BAD BITD. We just didn't know any better.

I remember the old Ballantines! My grandparents ran an old grocery store up in Elmira, and my father used to bring cases of mixed beers back home...my brother used to collect the old tap handles, and signs that they got rid of as well... (a lot of them got ruined in the 1972 flood) What's also interesting was that my father used to export "Stegmaiers" from the Wilkes Barre area ack then, since it was his "local" beer growing up...who knew that it's technically a "micro-brew" and he was ahead of his time! (and it really isn't a bad beer!)(they still make it)

Yeah, we used to experiment with all kids of stuff...I got some Carlsberg Elephant a few times, and Colt SILVER which had more alcohol content. it was funny watching Bowser try to drink that stuff...he was the biggest lightweight in the world when it came to drinking.... But I remember drinking the Labatt's in Olympic Stadium during DCI finals, and Molson Export at the hotel! (which was the first time I legally ever sat at a bar and drank)

In spite of my advanced age, I seem to recall LOTS AND LOTS of green and gold cans in "cold storage" in the luggage compartments of the busses.

Genesee Cream Ale.

Could explain numerous things.... not the least of which is why no one from any of the other corps ever asked for a beer from us!! :doh:

OY Mike....Genny Cream! YIKES that's bad stuff!

Genesee Cream Ale.

you do know my dad still has his green and white Genessee Cream Ale Cooler.

hence why they called him Wally Cream Ale