The history of the Westshoremen

guard was 3rd...Sun was 1st and unreal, Empire 2nd and very under rated.

I know some like to crucify the drum judges, but the spreads elsewhere were tight.....3 tenths down in visual, 4 tenths down in brass. We wernt going to beat Cabs in Brass...they were a machine.

Nice to get a chance to sit in with the Westshoremen Alumni's honor guard at the show Saturday... and thanks to my lady Brenda and our friend Donna White for helping out and joining us!!!

From our perspective (to the side of the corps on the floor), 'Shore sounded great, as usual. Still the best one-performance corps in the business!!!

As always a lot of fun to perform to an appreciative audience. Love for Sale worked even better than I thought it would, a great experience for me.

We'll see about next year. Right now, unsure about myself. Big year for the corps though.

Edited by BigW

• 3 weeks later...

Found this little nugget, Go to YouTube, Bayerische Rundfunk (Bavarian Radio/TV) broadcast of a Don Ellis truibute orchestra fronted by Thomas Gansch, just do a search for "Don Ellis Thomas Gansch", you should get it-- Theme from the French Connection, Open Wide, the real nugget of the concert, which is 2 hours, links for every tune, digest it a bit at a time- but the REAL nugget is the Variations for Trumpet, and Gansch is VERY, VERY good. Custom trumpet he designed for himself, etc. the guy can PLAY. Enjoy.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Former marching member and percussion caption Dan DeLong elected into the World Drum Corps hall of Fame. I can't think of a more outstanding choice. he truly helped lead DCA percussion out of the "all about the snares" days, took some huge design gambles that may not have fully paid off at the time but now seem tame compared to a lot of what we see today.

I'm honored to have been one of his kids because with Dan, you didn't just learn how to play drums....you got life lessons too.

• Like 2

FYI... There was a Rich Sennett sighting at the Bucs' indoor show over the weekend. LOL

I saw him as I was heading backstage to get my gig started.... we had a chance to say hello to each other, not much else... but he looked good!

• Like 1

FYI... There was a Rich Sennett sighting at the Bucs' indoor show over the weekend. LOL

I saw him as I was heading backstage to get my gig started.... we had a chance to say hello to each other, not much else... but he looked good!

wow thats the first time he's been to a show since right after Alma died

wow thats the first time he's been to a show since right after Alma died

I hear ya... it was a pleasant surprise to see him!!!

Not a lot of time, hoping Tony Little, Fran, Jim et al read this.

Here's the search for this on YouTube:

"AMBASSADEURS1977DCA"

Thanked a friend in Quebec a million times for this.

Now... note that this is the ENTIRE show, NOT a 6 minute excerpted version and it IS the multi cam PBS feed. HOW did they get this?

Logical conclusion perhaps is that FULL show tapes were given to the corps?

If so Fran and Tony, something worth looking into, eh?

Also, this is also good quality, not taped off of the TV....

Also, a very fun show. More on this show and a few other 7th place shows when I have time to get back on and talk. Always loved Les Ambassadeurs.

Hope this might throw some leads out for some people to find the entire show from 1977.