The history of the Westshoremen

I may hit the party. i'll probably have a 50 unit indoor show to run the next day.

I've played Explosion every time the corps rolled it out til now. I would consider it only if the entire 96 show was the show this year. that's the only thing that could lure me back

• Like 1

It was the one thing I was hoping for, Jeff. Really hoping for with all my heart. What you just said was one of the reasons I had that kind of hope.

with the schedule they want to keep, and whats required to pull it off, many perc vets would bail.

and i'd rather make $400 the next day judging. I have 3 projects around here that I want to get done

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that. $400 is real money.

Found something neat on YT. Do a search for "Bobby Shew Minuano" and its got the transcript of his trumpet ride with the Curnow band's take on the piece. Some really great stuff, especially when you look at what he's doing notated.

Frank, I know you read some of the stuff here, who is this guy? :satisfied:

Erie Thunderbirds FB page has 1980 pics up. Tom Matczak (TBird) playing WSM tymps at a show (with a thank you to Ben B). Also a pic of WSM where the rifles have the Aussies but horn line still has the shakos. An early season show at Jamestown during the day at what looks to be a baseball field.

So when did the rest of the corps get Aussies? During the middle of the season? Hey I was working shi(f)t work and only saw the corps (well ANY corps) at Carlisle.

Tough question, Jim. I think we got them soon after that contest, maybe by the next weekend. My only memories are that we wanted rid of the shakos in the worst way and that after the Guard got them, we all really wanted them- my guess is the next weekend we had them or at worst the weekend after that.

Hmm, I looked at the 1980 scores,and I do know we were at Midland, PA again that year and won-- there seems to be some discrepancies on the DCA site's scores, I do know in at least one of the seasons they confuse Lewistown with Lewisburg.

The thing is-- We kept the shakos through '79? I thought we had the aussies at season's end. My memory is thin, I remember hating the shakos, I got one that had been melted on the corner and warped and it hurt to wear the *#$^% thing.

Another thing if that was 1980- We were never at Jamestown, unless Johnstown NY is another DCA error.

would have to be...they weren't allowed to be grounded full time til what...82?

Hmm, I looked at the 1980 scores,and I do know we were at Midland, PA again that year and won-- there seems to be some discrepancies on the DCA site's scores, I do know in at least one of the seasons they confuse Lewistown with Lewisburg.

We (Sun) finished second to you guys at that 1980 Midland show. It was held on the July 4th weekend that year. I remember the Yankee Rebels... the "reincarnated" 1980-81 version, with the corps wearing Troopers- style cavalry uniforms... also were at that show.

That Midland trip will forever live in Sunriser lore as one of the wackiest weekends in that corps' history. Some of the best Sunriser "war stories" were generated that weekend. Few, if any, of which can be shared in a public forum. :tongue:

One thing I can share... I remember, not far from the stadium, a traffic circle-style intersection that was designed so it was easy to miss your exit/turnoff. Our buses went around and around at least a couple of times before finding a way out. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring