The history of the Westshoremen

so if you arent following on the facebook page, an event is being planned in May that is for all generations of Westshore, but with some emphasis on the 20th anniversary of the DCA title. keep checking it out for more details. Look to be held at the Hilton

From what I remember, we had our timps grounded for the entire show in 1980... we didn't have enough players to carry them, so we grounded them. We designated a few horn players to help carry the things off the field at the end of the show.

From what I recall...I think you had to bring them on the field from behind the front sideline, (and they couldn't go over) as opposed to just placing them on the front sideline like they started soon after that. (and by the same token, no one could reach over and take them off) That was a pain because for our concert number I had a cymbal on a stand that I had to carry on the field, then go place it at the front once we stopped and started warm ups. (and someone from our guard, I think grabbed the cymbal on the way off)

I also seem to remember that your two "sideline" guys, Fran, used to carry a set of bongos, and a cymbal from the endzone, and I think cymbal people (could have been someone else) carried the timapani on and placed them...it was a dumb rule... but I think it was changed for 1981....

• Like 1

Boy that kicked in a memory that I hope is real..... Been a while and I was working rotating shifts that Summer in the Computer Room.......

I could have gotten in the 80 Danville show for free thanks to that cymbal stand. Had my corps jacket on and was talking to Benny before the show started. Next thing he slams that stand in my hand and sez "Here take this in for me". Well you don't argue with Benny so...... IIRC I sat on the ground near the front sideline and saw the show from there. Think Benny Jr from the stands yelled something smart tailed to me as I walked inwith the corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just looked at corpsreps and they have some good pics of the corps from 1961. end of show and parade in Westernport, MD.

Didn't look too close and maybe it's the sunlight and old pics but possibly unis I never saw before.

• 2 weeks later...

Dang it's my anniversary tomorrow (well Sunday Thanksgiving weekend).... 41 (GAG) year ago I went to the Linglestown American Legion Post to join the Keystone Kavaliers....

And I was never right since.....

PS went to my sisters for turkey day and a new barn cat is hanging out. Not sure why but calls him Chumley....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Dang it's my anniversary tomorrow (well Sunday Thanksgiving weekend).... 41 (GAG) year ago I went to the Linglestown American Legion Post to join the Keystone Kavaliers....

And I was never right since.....

PS went to my sisters for turkey day and a new barn cat is hanging out. Not sure why but calls him Chumley....

just going showed you weren't right

:cool:

Happy Anniversary

And I proved it by my bad math.... 42 years as 1974 season started end of 1973....

From what I recall...I think you had to bring them on the field from behind the front sideline, (and they couldn't go over) as opposed to just placing them on the front sideline like they started soon after that. (and by the same token, no one could reach over and take them off) That was a pain because for our concert number I had a cymbal on a stand that I had to carry on the field, then go place it at the front once we stopped and started warm ups. (and someone from our guard, I think grabbed the cymbal on the way off)

I also seem to remember that your two "sideline" guys, Fran, used to carry a set of bongos, and a cymbal from the endzone, and I think cymbal people (could have been someone else) carried the timapani on and placed them...it was a dumb rule... but I think it was changed for 1981....

I never have quite figured out that whole "you can't bring things on the field from over the front sideline" thing. LOL.

I never have quite figured out that whole "you can't bring things on the field from over the front sideline" thing. LOL.

I just think that grounding was a new thing, and for some dumb reason they didn't know how to act that season, and no one wanted to challenge the old sideline rule of 80-billion years of old people running it.

Thank GOD it changed because when I was doing the sideline thing in 1984, that would have been a HUGE pain with all the crap we had at that point! (although 88 was probably worse with the volume of equipment THAT year!)

I just think that grounding was a new thing, and for some dumb reason they didn't know how to act that season, and no one wanted to challenge the old sideline rule of 80-billion years of old people running it.

Thank GOD it changed because when I was doing the sideline thing in 1984, that would have been a HUGE pain with all the crap we had at that point! (although 88 was probably worse with the volume of equipment THAT year!)

imagine it now