The history of the Westshoremen

Clark Griswold in European Vacation eh Fran? Always think of that Summer time at Gettysburg with the tourists trying to navigate the "square". Think it's 8 roads converging and cars sometimes 3 deep going around... woo hoo....

• Like 1

Exactly, Jeff.

From what I remember, we had our timps grounded for the entire show in 1980... we didn't have enough players to carry them, so we grounded them. We designated a few horn players to help carry the things off the field at the end of the show.

Clark Griswold in European Vacation eh Fran? Always think of that Summer time at Gettysburg with the tourists trying to navigate the "square". Think it's 8 roads converging and cars sometimes 3 deep going around... woo hoo....

Yeah, pretty much like that. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Dad lives behind Linglestown (between Harrisburg and Hershey) off I-81. Town put in 2 circles (as they call them round abouts) a few years back. Last month L-town had its 250th Anniversary and the mascot (no idea why a mascot) was "Roundabout the Raccoon". My thought was a mascot name showing 5 years out of 250 years of history (wth). Dad thought it was stupid as the locals can't still drive the #### things correctly.

I thought he should be the mascot since he has been there a lot longer (born there and now 82 yrs old)... Not too appreciated, especially since the Legion wanted him to ride in the parade as a 60+ year member. :wow:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Dad lives behind Linglestown (between Harrisburg and Hershey) off I-81. Town put in 2 circles (as they call them round abouts) a few years back.

In NJ, they're still called traffic circles.

Not as many of them left these days as there were years ago.

But the proper technique for navigating a NJ traffic circle remains the same: When approaching the circle, ignore all signs that say "yield to traffic in circle".... look both ways quickly, then drive right in and take your chances that no one will hit you. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

We (Sun) finished second to you guys at that 1980 Midland show. It was held on the July 4th weekend that year. I remember the Yankee Rebels... the "reincarnated" 1980-81 version, with the corps wearing Troopers- style cavalry uniforms... also were at that show.

That Midland trip will forever live in Sunriser lore as one of the wackiest weekends in that corps' history. Some of the best Sunriser "war stories" were generated that weekend. Few, if any, of which can be shared in a public forum. :tongue:

One thing I can share... I remember, not far from the stadium, a traffic circle-style intersection that was designed so it was easy to miss your exit/turnoff. Our buses went around and around at least a couple of times before finding a way out. LOL.

Look Sun.....Big Ben...Parliment...

• Like 2

Well Fran, Linglestown has got to have a fancy name as it took them 30 years to resolve the mess they had at the square... well not resolve, just replace with another mess. LOL roundabouts is what my English cousins call them and then drive the wrong way around them. Guess if you drive on the other side of the road it makes sense. Went to UK once to see my relatives and was in the front seat of the taxi after dark as he went around a circle. Being in the left seat and no steering wheel was bad enough but going the "wrong" way around the circle and not being able to see too well, while speeding..... 20+ years later it's still memorable.

Mess with driving the L-town circle at the Square (yeah that makes no sense) is history. For decades it was a 4 way intersection and north/south traffic had stop signs and east/west just barreled thru without slowing down. Now all 4 ways have the same right of way rules but... here comes someone going east/west and not slowing down no matter what. :shutup: Always drove it that way... did something change?

• Like 1

Well Fran, Linglestown has got to have a fancy name as it took them 30 years to resolve the mess they had at the square... well not resolve, just replace with another mess. LOL roundabouts is what my English cousins call them and then drive the wrong way around them. Guess if you drive on the other side of the road it makes sense. Went to UK once to see my relatives and was in the front seat of the taxi after dark as he went around a circle. Being in the left seat and no steering wheel was bad enough but going the "wrong" way around the circle and not being able to see too well, while speeding..... 20+ years later it's still memorable.

Mess with driving the L-town circle at the Square (yeah that makes no sense) is history. For decades it was a 4 way intersection and north/south traffic had stop signs and east/west just barreled thru without slowing down. Now all 4 ways have the same right of way rules but... here comes someone going east/west and not slowing down no matter what. :shutup: Always drove it that way... did something change?

Heh...several years back, the folks in Baltimore County replaced a tough traffic-light intersection in Towson with a roundabout.

Hasn't gotten much, if any, better.

As my mom used to say.... like going from the frying pan into the fire. LOL.

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty much like that. LOL.

look kids....Big Ben...Parliment...

So Kris had an early morning appointment at Johns Hopkins for a nerve test. Nothing nasty just run a full baseline of things since the doctors up here never bothered. Instead of a 5AM departure from Camp Hill we spent the night at a downtown hotel. Should have tested MY nerves after finding the hotel and getting on the right one way road to get to Hopkins during AM rush hour.... even with GPS was an adventure....

So my dad says "Wasn't the hotel near Hopkins"...... I just thought of the first Vacation pic when Chevy ends up in the St Louis ghetto...

"Excuse me, we not from around here"

"No ####!"

My directions to the Outpatient Clinic are easy, get on I-83 south, turn left at the first red light, after the second liquor store and bar turn left again.

Edited by JimF-LowBari