A plea to Cymbal lines

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Blue Devils HAVE a cymbal line - 7 of them! - AND won the championships this past summer. OK - so it was the B corps, but check it out: every year that line grows and grows. Why? 'Cause they have no place to go in the A corps. One of these days there's going to be 25 cymbalists in the B corps and then you're really going to hear them! :cool:

Mav...still wishing & hoping

I WAS WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO BRING THIS UP!!! What is the point of having SEVEN cymbals on the field??? You could hardly hear them at all during their show this year. SEVEN is generally how big a snare line is in open class. Why put these kids' hopes up if there is no cymbal line in Blue Devils? It makes no sense to me. Four to five cymbals is alright but SEVEN, come on guys...it's pointless. :thumbup::worthy::cool:

That makes little to no sense. Replace an acoustic instrument with an electronic instrument that sounds nothing like it, or replace an acoustic instrument with the EXACT SAME acoustic instrument that sounds exactly like it (the only difference being in the writting of the parts). Hmm, yeah...great example, you've convinced me :cool:

If percussion writers wanted a complex cymbal part, it could still be done in the pit....but they dont, and so it isnt. By all means, complain about cymbals being gone, and I might even agree with you. I too think its silly that a corps cant find a spot for 4 people out of 150 to continue a great tradition. BUT...dont go trying to justify your opinion with silly logic. It doesnt help.

A cymbal line crashing on the field in different parts of the field sounds the same as someone on the front line hitting it with a stick? I can tell you play a horn. The synth doesn't have to sound like a tuba. All it has to do is cover the low end. As far as who did it this year. I don't recall specifics. I saw every open corps at their quarters and every world corps at their quarters two days apart, and I know I saw it more than once. Why is this such a battle? All I asked was for cymbal lines to come up with something new, on their own. Where is the argument there? I didn't even ask for more cymbal lines, just FRESH lines. I never thought such a simple request could get some horn guys blood boiling. Sorry to wreck your weekend with my inane stupidity. :worthy::thumbup:

Edited by 84skyrydr

I WAS WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO BRING THIS UP!!! What is the point of having SEVEN cymbals on the field??? You could hardly hear them at all during their show this year. SEVEN is generally how big a snare line is in open class. Why put these kids' hopes up if there is no cymbal line in Blue Devils? It makes no sense to me. Four to five cymbals is alright but SEVEN, come on guys...it's pointless. :thumbup::worthy::cool:

So the Devils had seven? I bet that is seven happy people wearing big flashy rings. So in other words, some of these people shouldn't have had the chance to march this year? Their hopes were up, infact their hopes were to go undefeated. I wonder if they met their expectations?

But Blue Devils HAVE a cymbal line - 7 of them! - AND won the championships this past summer. OK - so it was the B corps, but check it out: every year that line grows and grows. Why? 'Cause they have no place to go in the A corps. One of these days there's going to be 25 cymbalists in the B corps and then you're really going to hear them! :thumbup:

Mav...still wishing & hoping

Cavaliers guard all picked up plates back in the 80s and it was awesome. Like 35 cymbal players on the field. VISUAL. Can anybody remember that part of the plate line? Everyone wants to keep them on the sidelines, and even start arguments for doing so, then get flipped when you throw the synth taking horn parts away. We have already seen that this year, with smaller tuba lines ( in some corps ) with a cranked synth. Drink the kool aid, its ok, just take a drink......

A cymbal line crashing on the field in different parts of the field sounds the same as someone on the front line hitting it with a stick? I can tell you play a horn. The synth doesn't have to sound like a tuba. All it has to do is cover the low end. As far as who did it this year. I don't recall specifics. I saw every open corps at their quarters and every world corps at their quarters two days apart, and I know I saw it more than once. Why is this such a battle? All I asked was for cymbal lines to come up with something new, on their own. Where is the argument there? I didn't even ask for more cymbal lines, just FRESH lines. I never thought such a simple request could get some horn guys blood boiling. Sorry to wreck your weekend with my inane stupidity. :worthy::thumbup:

OOHHHH MMMY LLOORRRDD. What is it with you guys and making this garbage up about people in the pit ONLY hitting a cymbal with a stick. I've seen in literally a DOZEN times in this thread, and it looks more ignorant every time. Do you really think thats all they do in the pit is hit cymbals with a stick, like poorly trained monkeys??? They can actually pick them up and hit them together you know... I realize it isnt the same amount of nuance and expression as a field line, but stop trying to make things up, its unbecoming...

yeah....sorry, but seeing that for the umpteenth time really got on my nerves. Anyway, i wasnt the one to call for the extinction of cymbal lines, and i've said several times that I enjoy them when theyre there. And yes, the synth DOES have to sound like a tuba to replace a tuba, otherwise your example makes no sense. Anyway, my weekend sucked before you messed with it, so no worries :cool:

Cavaliers guard all picked up plates back in the 80s and it was awesome. Like 35 cymbal players on the field. VISUAL. Can anybody remember that part of the plate line? Everyone wants to keep them on the sidelines, and even start arguments for doing so, then get flipped when you throw the synth taking horn parts away. We have already seen that this year, with smaller tuba lines ( in some corps ) with a cranked synth. Drink the kool aid, its ok, just take a drink......

Haha....i dont think any corps marched a smaller tuba line because they wanted to feature more synth. They may have cranked the synths to covered for the fact that they had a small tuba line, but not the other way around (i noticed this especially earlier in the year with some semifinalist range corps).

Anyway, this argument is getting a little lame for me, especially considering that I am not at all against cymbal lines. I like variety in drum corps, and that includes some corps having them, and some not. I am also for tradition in drum corps, meaning that i think something shouldnt be changed unless there is a very, very good reason for it. Thats not to say things wont change, because its a losing battle (that many will fight), but often they change too fast, and without a lot of thought. I just think its amusing to see all these gung-ho arguments one way or the other why cymbal lines are inherently necessary or extraneous in drum corps, thats all.

So the Devils had seven? I bet that is seven happy people wearing big flashy rings. So in other words, some of these people shouldn't have had the chance to march this year? Their hopes were up, infact their hopes were to go undefeated. I wonder if they met their expectations?

Well if they BDB has a cymbal line then yea they deserve to march since they made it. But the fact they had seven plates is ridiculous considering BD doesn't have a cymbal line. Unless they plan on having one this year and BDB's cymbal was just to breed cymbal players...then I will never understand seven cymbals in a feeder corps

OOHHHH MMMY LLOORRRDD. What is it with you guys and making this garbage up about people in the pit ONLY hitting a cymbal with a stick. I've seen in literally a DOZEN times in this thread, and it looks more ignorant every time. Do you really think thats all they do in the pit is hit cymbals with a stick, like poorly trained monkeys??? They can actually pick them up and hit them together you know... I realize it isnt the same amount of nuance and expression as a field line, but stop trying to make things up, its unbecoming...

yeah....sorry, but seeing that for the umpteenth time really got on my nerves. Anyway, i wasnt the one to call for the extinction of cymbal lines, and i've said several times that I enjoy them when theyre there. And yes, the synth DOES have to sound like a tuba to replace a tuba, otherwise your example makes no sense. Anyway, my weekend sucked before you messed with it, so no worries :worthy:

You are finally correct. Plates in the pit can be used and sound fine, the vast majority of the usage involves sticks, not ALL but, most. I never said they couldn't be used properly, sound good or anything of the such. I only asked that they don't use SCV's trademark move. Period. I don't have a lot of use for a synth, but I have heard them and they can sound like ANYTHING you PROGRAM them to sound like. I would assume they might just sound like a horn that is big and heavy and ugly. How an argument even got going is beyond my time to try and understand. A simple plea, don't do SCV's move. That was all. :cool::lol::thumbup::cool:

Well if they BDB has a cymbal line then yea they deserve to march since they made it. But the fact they had seven plates is ridiculous considering BD doesn't have a cymbal line. Unless they plan on having one this year and BDB's cymbal was just to breed cymbal players...then I will never understand seven cymbals in a feeder corps

I don't think that BDB feels as though they are a feeder corps. It might just be, that they wanted to give anyone who wanted in a spot, and instead of 14 bass drums, they had some use cymbals?