Madison Announces 2010 Program

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!

Two thoughts on this:

1 - I like the fact that the design staff isn't messing around with trying to find a way to re-establish the Madison brand.

2 - Wouldn't it be nice if a big, in your face, company front found its way into Slaughter!

:tongue::devil::devil:

Yay for Slaughter!

I don't know what it is but I can just never get into Rhapsody. Regardless of whos playing it.

Just bear in mind that it takes alot more than the right tunes to regain the Madison sound and swagger.

Very surprised at this announcement. I thought there would be more of a departure.

Edited by contrajedi8

AHHH DOUBLE POST!

Edited by contrajedi8

...The Gershwin is a fine tune, no doubt (though I question its effectiveness when put on the field) but it's a bit like hearing West Side Story and Appalachian Spring last year. The corps who played them put on fine renditions, but the material is so familiar that the Cadets and SCV shows could not be considered remarkable. Rhapsody in Blue isn't quite at the level of use as those pieces, but it's familiar, no doubt, and for me that puts a cap on the enjoyment I am likely to find in hearing it again...

It's the "effectiveness" I'm wondering about. If one of the goals is to "re-establish the Madison Scouts brand," is Rhapsody really the right tune? Particularly in the all-male Madison context? I don't claim to know what precisely Gershwin meant to represent, but to my ears the piece is more about whimsy and similar such attribute we don't typically associate with Madison. Sure it's got some bold statements which a hot horn line can tear up. But when I think of Rhapsody in Blue, I'm more in mind of the sort of treatment Crown gave us last year. You could almost argue that if Rhapsody had lyrics, it might easily have subbed into the Grass is Greener program.

It's all speculation, I realize. More talented folks than me have a plan and a vision and may very well make what I just said look foolish (wouldn't be the first time). Still, the Madison rep could be served well by lots of tunes higher in octane and testosterone, which leaves me to wonder whether Madison '10 might be aiming for a version of tradition that's less ... traditional.

HH

It's the "effectiveness" I'm wondering about. If one of the goals is to "re-establish the Madison Scouts brand," is Rhapsody really the right tune? Particularly in the all-male Madison context? I don't claim to know what precisely Gershwin meant to represent, but to my ears the piece is more about whimsy and similar such attribute we don't typically associate with Madison. Sure it's got some bold statements which a hot horn line can tear up. But when I think of Rhapsody in Blue, I'm more in mind of the sort of treatment Crown gave us last year. You could almost argue that if Rhapsody had lyrics, it might easily have subbed into the Grass is Greener program.

It's all speculation, I realize. More talented folks than me have a plan and a vision and may very well make what I just said look foolish (wouldn't be the first time). Still, the Madison rep could be served well by lots of tunes higher in octane and testosterone, which leaves me to wonder whether Madison '10 might be aiming for a version of tradition that's less ... traditional.

HH

:tongue:

You are kidding, right?

No. Whimsical, capricious, maybe even melancholy at times but not macho or manly.

HH

Given that the Scouts have played everything from Ice Castles to Streisand over their long history . . .I don't think there's any need for them to have to acheive a certain level of testosterone regarding their brass book.

The "swagger" . . . or the hard-to-define thing that Madison has in years when its "on" . . .is predicated (at least to me) on the presentation and the performance itself, not the charts.

In the wrong hands, the charts from Jesus Christ Superstar or "The Pirates Of Lake Mendota" could have come off as hackneyed, trite and nothing special . . .but we all know how that turned out.

I will say (and this is personal preference) that there did seem to be a little something lost when Scott Boerma stopped arranging for the Scouts a few years ago. However, if there's one person that is more than equal to the task in my eyes, it's most certainly Jim Prime. His books never disappoint.

Anyhoo, I look for Madison to make use of a lot of synth piano in their new treatment of "Rhapsody" with some wicked front ensemble work, but still blow the doors off the stadium when they need to.

Heck, I was hoping they'd bring back Harlem Suite, but, oh well . . .maybe we can get "The Way We Were" as an encore tune this season. :tongue:

Given that the Scouts have played everything from Ice Castles to Streisand over their long history . . .I don't think there's any need for them to have to acheive a certain level of testosterone regarding their brass book.

Fair enough. It's all what you make of it.

HH

I guess the final question we have about Madison is... what about the uniforms? :tongue:

This isn't hard fact, but I heard that the uniform may approximate 1981-82. Bring back the spats!