Madison Announces 2010 Program

Does this mean that Madison is going to try to sound like *GASP!* Madison?

BTW, "Don't rain on my parade" probably wouldn't work in this show. "Here's that rainy day" might make a good ballad though. :tongue:

/Came in for a drum corps thread, got a weather report.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, this is pretty exciting. "Rhapsody in Blue" is basically the piece that got me interested in music in the first place (back when I was primarily a piano player). I really, really hope Jim Prime does a good job with it. I'm not doubting that he will, but I'm what you'd call a "purist" when it comes to that piece. I have really, really high expectations for it. Like I said, I'm mostly sure that Jim will do a good job with it, but until I actually hear it, I'll have my doubts.

from my experience, i've found that jim prime is also somewhat of a purist. i can't wait for this show. i REALLY hope they deliver. living up to the standards of the past is quite the undertaking.

Really, this is pretty exciting. "Rhapsody in Blue" is basically the piece that got me interested in music in the first place (back when I was primarily a piano player). I really, really hope Jim Prime does a good job with it. I'm not doubting that he will, but I'm what you'd call a "purist" when it comes to that piece. I have really, really high expectations for it. Like I said, I'm mostly sure that Jim will do a good job with it, but until I actually hear it, I'll have my doubts.

Jim Prime is the best arranger for drum corps that I've heard. I have no doubt that he will deliver. :tongue:

I like the announcement.

OK....I'm surprised how unimpressed I am about this announcement. I was expecting more I guess.

Oh well, it will probably sound better than I can imagine right now. It just seems to me the Gershwin is bleh for me. Sorry.

Were you thinking of Glassmen 2000?

You know, I really enjoyed that show, but many people thought that it was pretty dry...

Not to rain on parades, but how many think Rhapsody in Blue = synth/piano in the pit? Would definitely be a different take than what others have done on the field with Rhapsody.

Either way, it should be interesting. Classics don't always yield great results on the field (Fiddler, Russian Christmas, Firebird Suite, etc.

Of course, there is always the chance that it'll be Planets and be superior or as good as the original (though it will be hard to beat 'Champion' from 75).

Could be cool. I'm happy for the Scout die-hard fans and alumni; it's got to be cool seeing Scouts taking SCV and Cadets cue and going for an old school type show that brings memories of past Madison Scouts greatness. I'm not a fan of Gershwin, though I can take the original version of Rhapsody in Blue.

Regardless of what I personally like, eah Scouts for keeping their good buss/momentum going with an early show announcement! :tongue:

What do you mean? Wait... Well, nothing will ALWAYS yield great results on the field. Firebird has been a hit more often than not. Same thing with Fiddler... Russian Xmas has been pretty darned good on the field as well. I mean, we're talking about top twelve material, not championship material. Besides, these arrangers are tried and true. I appreciate your opinion, though. I just hope you don't think great results are necessarily placement. And I hope that the meat doesn't get put in the synth. That wouldn't be good, imho.

I CAN NOT WAIT!

Does this mean that Madison is going to try to sound like *GASP!* Madison?

BTW, "Don't rain on my parade" probably wouldn't work in this show. "Here's that rainy day" might make a good ballad though. :tongue:

/Came in for a drum corps thread, got a weather report.

'81 Sky Ryders did a nice job with that !

BTW Slaughter for the win !!

Edited by Old School Contra Guy

Stoked about Slaughter. Pretty unexcited about Rhapsody.

I would say the same. Well, I wouldn't say "stoke", probably "intrigued" would be better. The Gershwin is a fine tune, no doubt (though I question its effectiveness when put on the field) but it's a bit like hearing West Side Story and Appalachian Spring last year. The corps who played them put on fine renditions, but the material is so familiar that the Cadets and SCV shows could not be considered remarkable. Rhapsody in Blue isn't quite at the level of use as those pieces, but it's familiar, no doubt, and for me that puts a cap on the enjoyment I am likely to find in hearing it again. Your mileage may very, but it's not a favorite.

As for Slaughter, that's a piece with which I have to confess I am not familiar. I own recordings of the Scouts performing it, and I can study those, though this will be my first chance to hear it live. It appears the last time the Scouts played this was twenty years ago, and while I wouldn't go so far as to say that there's a specific statute of limitations on using a piece again in drum corps, certainly there have been enough changes over a generation to think that the Scouts' take in 2010 will be a fresh one.

I'm a little disheartened that both selections are pieces that have been well used in the past, but I think that's explained by the announcement stating that the new team wanted to "re-establish the Madison Scouts brand". Insofar as that goal goes these are solid selections, I would personally hope that the design staff selects something a little more daring next year.

To me this is more than just bringing back some classic tunes as some have related this too. It sounds to me as if Jim has a very deliberate idea of re establishing Madison's image by sort of reincarnating parts of the 75 show. Hey, he marched it. Why not? I'm hoping this will really remove the cloak (pun intended) they've been wearing for the past few years and remind us all a little bit of who Madison is. As opposed to T.B. I am drinking this Kool Aid and hope not to be proven wrong but we shall see.

Pour me a glass of the Kool Aid I to will be drinking. :devil: :devil:

The last Show I seen live before I came back to this Activity in 2004.....................................75 DCI Finals.

I know it may be different, no problem. Do I expect the songs to be note for note from 75. NO

One thing I am sure of is that the Men from Madison will be playing RIB and Slaughter with a 2010 twist. And they will be doing it the Madison way.

To the Staff of Madison THANK YOU. :tongue:

Dean