Madison Announces 2010 Program

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to rain on parades, but how many think Rhapsody in Blue = synth/piano in the pit? Would definitely be a different take than what others have done on the field with Rhapsody.

Either way, it should be interesting. Classics don't always yield great results on the field (Fiddler, Russian Christmas, Firebird Suite, etc.

Of course, there is always the chance that it'll be Planets and be superior or as good as the original (though it will be hard to beat 'Champion' from 75).

Could be cool. I'm happy for the Scout die-hard fans and alumni; it's got to be cool seeing Scouts taking SCV and Cadets cue and going for an old school type show that brings memories of past Madison Scouts greatness. I'm not a fan of Gershwin, though I can take the original version of Rhapsody in Blue.

Regardless of what I personally like, eah Scouts for keeping their good buss/momentum going with an early show announcement! :tongue:

this has interesting potential. I agree with many that living up to past expectations will be tough...face it, this wont be the 75 arrangements folks. long time fans will be ahppy, i hope they do a great job explaining it to those newer fans who will think "rehash" like they did when Malaguena came back

Overall I am very excited...a little skeptical about Rhapsody, but again, with this team

I think anything is possible. The nice thing is that if it ends up not working, this staff

will make neccessary adjustments to make it work. But Slaughter....can't wait to see/hear

what they do with it. Last time I heard a full version was when I played it as a Madison Scout in 1989.

(We did it for the Alumni Corps but only a snipet.)

Classics don't always yield great results on the field (Fiddler, Russian Christmas, Firebird Suite, etc.)

So wait--Russian Christmas Music, Firebird Suite, and Fiddler on the Roof all sucked?

Whaa?

To me this is more than just bringing back some classic tunes as some have related this too. It sounds to me as if Jim has a very deliberate idea of re establishing Madison's image by sort of reincarnating parts of the 75 show. Hey, he marched it. Why not? I'm hoping this will really remove the cloak (pun intended) they've been wearing for the past few years and remind us all a little bit of who Madison is. As opposed to T.B. I am drinking this Kool Aid and hope not to be proven wrong but we shall see.

This was a surprise for me because I was expecting a huge departure. I'm happy they have picked two tunes with such great tradition, but I am nervous about their ability to do something new with them.

On the other hand did anyone think when SCV announced another crack at Appalachian Spring and Cadets a rehash of West Side Story that both versions would turn out as good as they did?

Edited by Scerpella

This was a surprise fro me because I was expecting a huge departure. I'm happy they have picked two tunes with such great tradition, but I am nervous about their ability to do something new with them.

On the other hand did anyone think when SCV announced another crack at Appalachian Spring and Cadets a rehash of West Side Story that both versions would turn out as good as they did?

You can add to that Spartacus (although that was pretty much uniquely Phantom) I don't believe you'll have any issues with innovation with this cast of characters.

Edited by bmroth1

I guess the final question we have about Madison is... what about the uniforms? :tongue: