World Class 2010 Programs

We better have a good show. Piano concert no 1 is brassy, the rest is more for strings and woodwinds from what I have heard on youtube. It sounds like it is show based for the most part. But I have not seen or heard them. This is just what is going on in my head. It should be good. But I was thinking more brass and jazz, this ain't that. Best luck Spirit. KSA !!!!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be going to their Memorial Day picnic this Sunday to hear them perform (and chow down on some incredible BBQ). I can let you guys know how it sounds. Personally, I haven't heard any of the tunes either (aside from Serenada Schizophrana), but I really like Prokofiev, and I've heard good things about the other composers, so I expect to hear some good music.

The Emerson concerto does have some nice jazzy parts in it, and the Daugherty / Elfman pieces are pretty groovy. In a lot of ways, I think the style of music may be closer to the Blue Devils "Methods of Madness" show in that there were some parts that did bop along, but not quite swing-ey jazz, if that makes any sense.

Mike

That is why I say it is SHOW oriented. This should be one heck of a show.

So Academy is the lone holdout. Compared to previous years, this is actually more open disclosure than we've had. :tongue:

Mike

Well Academy is doing a show-and-tell of sort tonight. They are going to be playing their entire show for the public at a memorial day concert along with a few other pieces.

I'll let you know what the show title, and musical selections are if they announce what it is.

Listened to the original Pieces for Spirit's 2010 Program!! Sounds really exciting! can't wait to hear what spirit does with it!! Here is to the staff for making awesome decisions!!

Teal Sound has announced their show title - "In the Presence of Enemies".

http://www.tealsound.org/news/

Sounds like a timely theme if you ask me.