Has anyone received....

I received mine today. Will watch later.

That and the announcement of the DCI Minnesota show on July 17th.

I'm having a great day.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's that?

Mike Symonds. it was posted in this forum the other day

What she said.

It's very disappointing after we work so hard to put out a quality product ourselves, and are rewarded with a substandard product in return. :thumbup:

(davla00 @ Nov 19 2009, 04:38 PM) *

Well, I got mine today.

Sound was awful, picture terrible.

I won't be buying any more from BVP

What they said!!!

Yuck!!!!

Puke_by_burtonearny.gif

I got my sets today and I started with some mini-corps. I am amazed at the total package that these groups can put together. It's obvious that some of the parts are different for the same instruments within a section. The sound that they produce is sweet indeed..........not just the "in your face" volume, but the clean and well articulated sound of a demanding score. Mass Brass' treatment of Malaguena is unique, rich, and has the same jazzy stamp that Ghost Riders gave to William Tell.

If the economy goes even further into the garbage and everyone is forced to pull back, I could live with on-stage mini corps for a few years. These performers are professionals who have no time for nonsense, unless it's well-rehearsed and perfected nonsense. These folks should start a November-March competition season. Im in.

Joe in NJ

Edited by JoeDz

I got my sets today and I started with some mini-corps. I am amazed at the total package that these groups can put together. It's obvious that some of the parts are different for the same instruments within a section. The sound that they produce is sweet indeed..........not just the "in your face" volume, but the clean and well articulated sound of a demanding score. Mass Brass' treatment of Malaguena is unique, rich, and has the same jazzy stamp that Ghost Riders gave to William Tell.

If the economy goes even further into the garbage and everyone is forced to pull back, I could live with on-stage mini corps for a few years. These performers are professionals who have no time for nonsense, unless it's well-rehearsed and perfected nonsense. These folks should start a November-March competition season. Im in.

Joe in NJ

Joe, Thanks for the kind words, Malaguena was a challenging arrangement written by the great Larry Kerchner. :thumbup:

As you mentioned, we do indeed play individual voicings for the majority of our show. Even when we've got two folks doubling on a given part, Larry often splits it into additional voices thereby providing that dense sound that he's famous for.

Our strength is in our ensemble playing since we don't have the luxury of being able to throw a couple of pros out front. Everyone in our line has played lead at one time or another in their past life, so we try and give everyone an opportunity to step out front and solo.

I'm not sure if other Mini Corps do this, but we each play a different part in each tune - for example if I'm playing lead in one chart, I might be playing 3rd or 4th in the next and so on.

Like you, I'm a huge fan of Mini Corps and would love to see an expanded slate of competitions - it does seem as though we are trending in that direction. For example, there are now three Bugler's Hall of Fame shows in 2010, there's the show in Harrisburg, PA, talk of a possible MCA championship, and of course the DCA show in Rochester.

My DVD is scheduled to arrive in the next few days and I'm looking forward to checking everyone else out since I wasn't able to at the show.

Enjoy!

Paul

My DVD is scheduled to arrive in the next few days and I'm looking forward to checking everyone else out since I wasn't able to at the show.

Enjoy!

Paul

Hey Paul.....

Don't get your hopes up on the DVD. I received mine yesterday, and naturally, the first corps I watched was the Golden Eagles. I had a better sound and video quality from my "Flip" camera, then I received from BVP.

So the money I spent on the DVD's where no where near worth it. :thumbup:

I am EXTREMELY dissappointed. I will probably send them back and tell them I want my money back, or just deny all charges on my CC. This is definately not what I paid for!

Edited by FPonzo

Hey Paul.....

Don't get your hopes up on the DVD. I received mine yesterday, and naturally, the first corps I watched was the Golden Eagles. I had a better sound and video quality from my "Flip" camera, then I received from BVP.

So the money I spent on the DVD's where no where near worth it. :thumbup:

I am EXTREMELY dissappointed. I will probably send them back and tell them I want my money back, or just deny all charges on my CC. This is definately not what I paid for!

Hey Frank,

That really sucks if it's that bad, I ordered the DVD as well as the full CD set.

Look forward to seeing the Eagles again soon! Any truth to the rumor that you guys might be putting on a show in 2010? (count MB in if so)

Have a great Turkey Day!

Paul

Hey Frank,

That really sucks if it's that bad, I ordered the DVD as well as the full CD set.

Look forward to seeing the Eagles again soon! Any truth to the rumor that you guys might be putting on a show in 2010? (count MB in if so)

Have a great Turkey Day!

Paul

Hey Paul.....

There is a very good possibility. We are just waiting to see if the date we picked is approved from the school. Our original date of May 22 was rejected at the last minute......the students of the school wanted it that night, so any outside organizations are not allowed to use it. The second date we put in for was May 15. If it is approved, it looks like the West Sayville Golden eagles will be sponsering the MCA Championships in 2010!!!!!

Edited by FPonzo

Hey Paul.....

There is a very good possibility. We are just waiting to see if the date we picked is approved from the school. Our original date of May 22 was rejected at the last minute......the students of the school wanted it that night, so any outside organizations are not allowed to use it. The second date we put in for was May 15. If it is approved, it looks like the West Sayville Golden eagles will be sponsering the MCA Championships in 2010!!!!!

Frank,

That would be awesome!!!!! I love the idea of having the MCA championship before DCA. While Tom M. and crew did a wonderful job as hosts in 2008, it felt somehow anticlimactic coming as it did almost a month after Rochester.

I know I can count on you to let everyone know if and when the date is finalized. :thumbup: