Is it time for BD to have two in a row again?

IMHO, the only legitimate contenders to BD not winning again are the Cadets and Crown.

Although I think Crown will dominate the field this season (including BD), its still only November.

One things for sure...even BD can't touch that Crown hornline :thumbup:

That's a huge declaration since Crown only has one Jim Ott and BD has how many? :thumbup:

Anyway, had not BD lost to phantom, it would have been a three-peat for them and I can definitely see them winning again next year. I seriously can't see how any of you can count out Cavies. Cadets I am sure will be a threat next year. But BD has been unstoppable lately so they'll probably be hard to beat.

Edited by 2000Cadet

We just aren't sure how people will react to the staff changes, how they will mesh together, etc, etc. It's a natural response for a lot of DCPers when change occurs. All that and their recent vacation from the top two. People notice trends and they like to think those trends will continue (i.e. crown improving each year).

If they were to win next year, it should really be a 4-peat that has never happened in DCI. They won in 07, and should have won in 08(Phantom was nowhere near the performance level overall of either Blue Devils or Cavies in 08), and won in 09. That should have been the 3-peat that no one wanted them to have.

It is not necessarily time or not time for BD to have 2 in a row. But if they go out and perform like they do every year, it is a very good possibility it could happen again. But when you have such fantastic corps as Cavaliers, Cadets, Vanguard, and the new rising of Crown, it isn't going to be easy for any corps to win the championship against such fantastic competition.

...and should have won in 08(Phantom was nowhere near the performance level overall of either Blue Devils or Cavies in 08)...

Um, yeah that's arguable. I do not argue that both BD and Cavies performed incredibly in 08, but Phantom connected to the audience on an extremely high level and performed the **** out of that show. To say that they were nowhere near the other corps on a performance level is laughable. Every corps in the Top 5 performed at a VERY high level.

Um, yeah that's arguable. I do not argue that both BD and Cavies performed incredibly in 08, but Phantom connected to the audience on an extremely high level and performed the **** out of that show. To say that they were nowhere near the other corps on a performance level is laughable. Every corps in the Top 5 performed at a VERY high level.

no, they weren't as clean as BD (visually)

no, their guard wasn't as good as bd's

yes, they had better music GE than devs

yes, they had a better drumline than devs

yes, visual ge was on par with devs (not all vis ge comes from the drill, otherwise bd would have had this)

I would have also gave PR brass, a horn line with a baritone player sticking out of the ensemble for a large chunk of the show should not win brass

yes, music ensemble rightfully went to phantom.

so yes, both (well... top 3 even) had championship caliber shows) but phantom rightfully won it.... just by a wee bit, like they should have.

unfortunately visual ensemble is the most obvious caption that people can see, which wasn't phantoms strong point, and i think that's the main reason people say phantom shouldn't have won, but their scores reflected the performance. For the record , I thought their 'feet' score was low all season, they had great technique (but not as good as bd's)

in conclusion

the phantom regiment rightfully won the 2008 world championship, get over it :thumbup:

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

I agree that Phantom connected to the audience extremely well. I really enjoyed their show alot as well. And every corps in the top 5 performed at a high level. However, Cavaliers and Blue Devils both had championship caliber designs to go along with their music, and Phantom did not. They should have both been at least a point and a half above Phantom that night. And while I probably enjoyed Cavaliers show a little more than BD, I think BD probably had the performance edge, and should have taken the championship by a couple of tenths over Cavies, with Phantom scoring about 1.3 behind Cavies. I think about half of the people in the audience that night were rooting for Phantom to win. And the excitement of having them win was great for the activity. But over half the people I know who were rooting for them, after having seen the dvds wonder how they actually did win. I'm happy for Phantom, but not as happy as I would have been if I actually felt they had deserved the championship. Blue Devils should be going for a 4-peat this year.

I don't know why, but I'm just feeling it. I think BD is going to have a back to back. Thoughts?

As much as I want to see it and love B.D. I think some new blood will be 1st. C.C.

I agree that Phantom connected to the audience extremely well. I really enjoyed their show alot as well. And every corps in the top 5 performed at a high level. However, Cavaliers and Blue Devils both had championship caliber designs to go along with their music, and Phantom did not. They should have both been at least a point and a half above Phantom that night. And while I probably enjoyed Cavaliers show a little more than BD, I think BD probably had the performance edge, and should have taken the championship by a couple of tenths over Cavies, with Phantom scoring about 1.3 behind Cavies. I think about half of the people in the audience that night were rooting for Phantom to win. And the excitement of having them win was great for the activity. But over half the people I know who were rooting for them, after having seen the dvds wonder how they actually did win. I'm happy for Phantom, but not as happy as I would have been if I actually felt they had deserved the championship. Blue Devils should be going for a 4-peat this year.

Man, it's a good thing this thread is about BD and how they should possibly win two in a row again. You're really contributing a lot to the topic at hand.

No, I'm kidding. Seriously, take it to messages... stop bringing up arguments from 2008. It's over. Done. If anyone cared, they would've asked.

/end rant

Regarding the Cavaliers chances for next year . . .

We just aren't sure how people will react to the staff changes, how they will mesh together, etc, etc. It's a natural response for a lot of DCPers when change occurs. All that and their recent vacation from the top two. People notice trends and they like to think those trends will continue (i.e. crown improving each year).

The Cavies had quite a staff change in '06 with regards to percussion, and they did okay that year.