Cavaliers or Phantom

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give my nod to Phantom in that I’ve liked twice as many of their shows (as a whole package) over those of the Cavies. While I appreciate the visuals of the Cavies, I feel they tend to be too visually gimmicky and repetitive over time so this negates some of the underwhelming visuals of Phantom in some years. But when you look to the music side, Phantom is typically miles ahead in my book. My year-by-year choices since 1983 would be:

2009 – Cavies (this is more of a vote against Red Violin than for the Cavies show)

2008 – Phantom

2007 – Phantom

2006 – Phantom

2005 – Phantom (Cavies 2000/2001 visual innovation started to become stale IMHO)

2004 – Cavies

2003 – Phantom (Cavies visual with musical accompaniment started to become stale IMHO)

2002 – Cavies

2001 – Cavies

2000 – tie (found Niagara Falls a bit boring)

1999 – Cavies

1998 – tie (to be honest, I didn’t like either corps’ show this year)

1997 – Cavies (more that I really didn’t like The Ring)

1996 – Phantom (SCV should have beat Cavies)

1995 – Cavies (but preferred Phantom’s Darkened Sky until finals)

1994 – Phantom (best Claire de Lune ever – best use of headgear in a visual)

1993 – Phantom (Estancia Ballet and Death Hunt - YUM)

1992 – Cavies (Gavorkna – one of the best openers ever)

1991 – Phantom (opera capes, Nessun Dorma, & Bacchanale)

1990 – Phantom

1989 – Phantom (New World – should have won)

1988 – Phantom (Romeo and Juliet – drool)

1987 – Phantom (Swan Lake – drool a bucket load)

1986 – Cavies

1985 – Cavies

1984 – Phantom

1983 – Phantom

Phantom.

This year: Neither.

Cavaliers got into alternating pattern of show designs:

A) Loose theme, kalidoscopic, intensity, geometry.(ie OO7, Spin Cycle)

B) Characterization, props, messages. (ie. Chicago, Great Divide)

I love the A's, not so much the B's.

Phantom.

This year: Neither.

Same here. :devil:

This one is actually really tough for me because I rarely like either corps' shows.

I'd probably have to say Cavaliers. As much as I love music, I love visual as well. And as much as I love straight leg technique, I must say that Cavies do what they do well. Now that I think of it, I much prefer Cavies hornline too. So maybe this wasn't that hard afterall.

Phantom........for me, much stronger musically than Cavs.....much greater dynamic range, yet with good musical clarity and expression.....great arrangements......well-written percussion that fits the brass book quite well, and performed well.......yes, 2009's show had visual problems, and it burnt them, but I think that problem will fizzle away this summer, and their 08 production was epic.........Cavs shows are usually excellent to great visually and performance-wise, but musically fall far short.........

GB

I love both corps and have a lot of respect for the Cavaliers but my #1 corps has to be the Phantom Regiment.

It's their class and their music and everything, even down to their uniforms. Their shows always just demand my attention and pull me in.

2000 – tie (found Niagara Falls a bit boring)

how could you find that show boring?

1998 – tie (to be honest, I didn’t like either corps’ show this year)

Dunno, cavies had an amazing show that year I think

[All my opinion, not infringing on anyone's beliefs lol...]

Overall Cavies consistently have better designed shows with entertaining music and visual programs. Some say the Cavies can't play but I disagree. Every year in the 2000's with the exception of 2007 and possible exceptions of 2005 and 2008 (I thought they were underscored in brass these 2 years..) the cavies had a fundamentally more balanced and blended hornline (with 2002 being the best ever). They may not have the volume all the time, but they have a GREAT sound. Yeah, phantom plays loudly and very excellently quite consistently. But IMO, sometimes individual sections stick out and play way too loud (ex: mellos).

Both are amazing corps, but I have to go with the Cavaliers on this one.

But IMO, sometimes individual sections stick out and play way too loud (ex: mellos).

I think it's safe to assume the mellos are that loud because JD wrote them to be that way. I can hardly imagine him letting them get away with that volume if he didn't tell them to use it in the first place.

But I do agree, Cavies tend to have a beautifully balanced sound far more often than Phantom does. But Phantom is still my phavorite.