1995 Cadets and The Reivers

<EDIT -- oops, apologies about the incorrect year in the heading>

For those who marched Cadets in 1995, or others in the know...

I recently watched the film version of "The Reivers" and besides the opening solo riff, my ear could not match up any of the corps' opener with

what I heard in the John Williams score. Just curious if some of that might have been pulled from other Williams sources, or am I just missing it?

BTW, one of my all-time favorite Cadets offerings...

Thanks,

Jay

Edited by MikeN

I recently watched the film version of "The Reivers" and besides the opening solo riff, my ear could not match up any of the corps' opener with

what I heard in the John Williams score. Just curious if some of that might have been pulled from other Williams sources, or am I just missing it?

Thanks,

Jay

You're missing it. It's all from the score, a lot of it from this recording: http://www.amazon.com/Music-Stage-Screen-A...d/dp/B000002A2O

This recording is PHENOMENAL, and probably a source for both the 1995 and 1996 Cadets shows (Red Pony, nice Reivers suite narrated by Burgess Meredith, as well as Born on the 4th of July music).

• Like 1

It's from the movie. I believe the music we played was during the race between the horse and the car. Been a while since I saw the movie though. I had the cd at one time. It was narrated.

Thanks,

Jay

Mine too. I used to listen to that all the time before and after I joined Cadets.

• 7 years later...
1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Perfect example of arranging.

I love how everything translates. Phrase-ending flourish in the strings becomes an extended run in the brass. Repetitive phrases (like the one before the key change) get omitted. Fast, staccato flute parts are handled by the pit. Orchestral "rips" in the score are featured by the mellos. Etc.

Edited by Hrothgar15