Dare I make a DARE?

NanciD

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very soon. I'll march and maneuver them into oblivion :cool:

:cool: (in keeping with the thread conversation...)

Things are different today. I'm still not sure that I like how it's different. I've seen a number of accidents at Semi's / Finals in DCI, and I don't go to that many of those. The speed of movement doesn't really impress me that much. Not when only 20% of the hornline is playing during that part of the show. Not when an entire line of marching members fall down accidentally during finals week. And still makes finals. Sure the visual package is more interesting. But if you take a polariod of any instance of time the dirt would make it hard to distinguish group X from local HS Y. Except by bodyfat content and sunburn. And yes, if they wore contrasting footwear, they would probably get slaughtered in scores.

As far as DCA corps. The shows are simplified to accommodate the lighter schedule. Fewer number of sets, more counts between sets. And a general avoidance of moving fast, until the last tune. About all that black and black does is hide the timing issues. People who tend to be behind of or in front of the beat relative to everyone else. And no it's not more exposed in daylight. UNLESS you're on a very faded astroturf (Buffalo '90), or a field of tan sand / drought ridden grass.

build up yes, but performance is still counted...you don't perform, you don't get a good score

Understood, and with the speed and number of "sets" (hate that term for reasons that might be brought up in another thread) the judges have to be more forgiving of small errors. LOL, can you imagine Execution scores of early season shows today? Especially with the later start corps get today. Keep thinking of the first Chambersburg DCA show and Buccs must of changed part of their show. I was picking out 'tics' from the stands here and there but the show as a whole was working during that time so.......

Not when only 20% of the hornline is playing during that part of the show.

I'd like to know where you get your percentage, because as a still semi-recent former marching member in a Div 1 corps, that is GROSSLY inaccurate.

Things are different today. I'm still not sure that I like how it's different. I've seen a number of accidents at Semi's / Finals in DCI, and I don't go to that many of those. The speed of movement doesn't really impress me that much. Not when only 20% of the hornline is playing during that part of the show. Not when an entire line of marching members fall down accidentally during finals week. And still makes finals. Sure the visual package is more interesting. But if you take a polariod of any instance of time the dirt would make it hard to distinguish group X from local HS Y. Except by bodyfat content and sunburn. And yes, if they wore contrasting footwear, they would probably get slaughtered in scores.

As far as DCA corps. The shows are simplified to accommodate the lighter schedule. Fewer number of sets, more counts between sets. And a general avoidance of moving fast, until the last tune. About all that black and black does is hide the timing issues. People who tend to be behind of or in front of the beat relative to everyone else. And no it's not more exposed in daylight. UNLESS you're on a very faded astroturf (Buffalo '90), or a field of tan sand / drought ridden grass.

question....when/who had a whole line of people wipe out at DCI semis/finals lately?

and 9 times out of 10, wipeouts happen because a member doesnt do something correctly, like blowing a direction change

I know, love and respect our past.

Back when Corps used to really shine their shoes of contrasting colors and be proud to emphasize them!!

As of late, it seems that the norm is to hide as much as possible. And those few that still take time and pride in their footwork, why aren't they rewarded for doing so???

Actually, I meant currently. The Golden Knights Alumni corps wears the original Sac uniform, including the white bucks.

I'd like to know where you get your percentage, because as a still semi-recent former marching member in a Div 1 corps, that is GROSSLY inaccurate.

Early season Cavaliers in 2002. Madison, as dirty as they were were at least 10x's louder. Sure, the number is pulled out of thin air, but not the perception. And not applicable to all corps. But if you're the champion (so called champion), you should at a minimum be louder than everyone else IMO. Especially if you have more then 60 horns. IF you can do that other stuff too, then great.

question....when/who had a whole line of people wipe out at DCI semis/finals lately?

and 9 times out of 10, wipeouts happen because a member doesnt do something correctly, like blowing a direction change

Do props falling over count? How about pit equipment falling off the trailer when entering the field?

Crown - Semi's - 2006 - Most of the Baritone line, and front and center to boot.

Looking at what I recorded last season. Revolution had a Baritone trip over a guards foot at the BOTB show. Memphis sound had a Mello get pegged in the back of the head by another hornline member while backing up at the same show. And there were only 2 DCI corps at that show. And other not so glorious (maybe the tick system wasn't so bad) things. Basically I can't go to a DCI show, or a show with DCI corps in it, and not see someone get potentially hurt. Even if it's just a judge who got to close to a rifle toss. DCA is a slightly different animal, for now.

Point being, it shouldn't happen at ALL, that LATE in the season. Granted that it wasn't supposed to happen. And seasons are much shorter these days. But there is a point of diminishing returns, and I think that we've crossed that line more often than not. To bring it back on topic, if corps were to switch to contrasting bottoms, it would hurt more corps than not. Although those already with contrast would likely do better placement wise.

~Comes out of the woodwork to make a reply since it was MY phone conversation that started the $%*& so blame and hate me....I'm used to it ...lol~

The ORIGINAL post stemmed from a phone conversation betwixt Nanci and Ron and I when they called me to talk about the DVD's from DCA and, as per usual, EVERYONE took it their own way. Hmmm....Guess that's why they call it a "forum".

Our conversation eventually turned to what the activity does to hide "dirt"....And I'm not talking about keeping your uniform clean. (I'm 3rd generation and I have seldom heard/seen a marching member who took pride in looking like an "unmade bed")

We talked about a lot of the changes that have happened.....The new drills....methods of marching....etc.....

BUT.....We focused on the changes in uniforms....Mainly....Stripes....Shoes and Spats etc. and how the "new" concept of "visual" has forced the activity to shed some of its roots and adopt different concepts of a "uniform" in order to stay competitive. We also talked about how alike so many "new" uniforms are in design and their symmetry.

IMHO....It appears to ME that the designers (both visual AND uniform) are doing their best to make the lower half of the body on a marching member "disappear". If they succeed....Visual scores go up. 'Nuff said!

My whole point (and what led to this post in the first place)....If you are as good as you think you are (and this pertains to ALL marching activities)....Why don't you DARE to prove it? (Maybe....Some day....You will be rewarded for it)

And this challenge could be asked of the musical side of the activity. (That mellophone run sounded great! So glad we have amps to hide all the dirt!)

I was raised believing that "This thing of ours" was nothing more than a microcosm reflecting real life. From Pride and Respect to Talent and a hard work ethic. Teamwork to Camaraderie. If it still is....Why are we teaching how to "hide" mistakes instead of not making them in the first place?

I'm going to go out on a limb.....and rephrase Nanci's original post.....

I DARE you to EXPOSE yourselves!

Gawd! I love this activity!