Dare I make a DARE?

NanciD

I'm going to go out on a limb.....and rephrase Nanci's original post.....

I DARE you to EXPOSE yourselves!

Gawd! I love this activity!

While I'm confident I understand the intent of your comment above, this crowd is absolutely the last group you want to DARE to expose themselves - either on the field or off it.

Because they'll do it!!! :tongue:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early season Cavaliers in 2002. Madison, as dirty as they were were at least 10x's louder. Sure, the number is pulled out of thin air, but not the perception. And not applicable to all corps. But if you're the champion (so called champion), you should at a minimum be louder than everyone else IMO. Especially if you have more then 60 horns. IF you can do that other stuff too, then great.

um....where does it say you have to be louder to be a champion? I'm thinking of every sheet i've ever seen...i don't see Loud being on there as a prerequisite to the top box.

Do props falling over count? How about pit equipment falling off the trailer when entering the field?

come on man...really?

Crown - Semi's - 2006 - Most of the Baritone line, and front and center to boot.

Looking at what I recorded last season. Revolution had a Baritone trip over a guards foot at the BOTB show. Memphis sound had a Mello get pegged in the back of the head by another hornline member while backing up at the same show. And there were only 2 DCI corps at that show. And other not so glorious (maybe the tick system wasn't so bad) things. Basically I can't go to a DCI show, or a show with DCI corps in it, and not see someone get potentially hurt. Even if it's just a judge who got to close to a rifle toss. DCA is a slightly different animal, for now.

Point being, it shouldn't happen at ALL, that LATE in the season. Granted that it wasn't supposed to happen. And seasons are much shorter these days. But there is a point of diminishing returns, and I think that we've crossed that line more often than not. To bring it back on topic, if corps were to switch to contrasting bottoms, it would hurt more corps than not. Although those already with contrast would likely do better placement wise.

you're right it shouldn't happen, but #### happens. I've seen accidents and wipeouts at late season DCA shows too.

and justify please how contrast would do better for those that already have it? if anything, it would level the playing field

~Comes out of the woodwork to make a reply since it was MY phone conversation that started the $%*& so blame and hate me....I'm used to it ...lol~

The ORIGINAL post stemmed from a phone conversation betwixt Nanci and Ron and I when they called me to talk about the DVD's from DCA and, as per usual, EVERYONE took it their own way. Hmmm....Guess that's why they call it a "forum".

Our conversation eventually turned to what the activity does to hide "dirt"....And I'm not talking about keeping your uniform clean. (I'm 3rd generation and I have seldom heard/seen a marching member who took pride in looking like an "unmade bed")

We talked about a lot of the changes that have happened.....The new drills....methods of marching....etc.....

BUT.....We focused on the changes in uniforms....Mainly....Stripes....Shoes and Spats etc. and how the "new" concept of "visual" has forced the activity to shed some of its roots and adopt different concepts of a "uniform" in order to stay competitive. We also talked about how alike so many "new" uniforms are in design and their symmetry.

IMHO....It appears to ME that the designers (both visual AND uniform) are doing their best to make the lower half of the body on a marching member "disappear". If they succeed....Visual scores go up. 'Nuff said!

My whole point (and what led to this post in the first place)....If you are as good as you think you are (and this pertains to ALL marching activities)....Why don't you DARE to prove it? (Maybe....Some day....You will be rewarded for it)

And this challenge could be asked of the musical side of the activity. (That mellophone run sounded great! So glad we have amps to hide all the dirt!)

I was raised believing that "This thing of ours" was nothing more than a microcosm reflecting real life. From Pride and Respect to Talent and a hard work ethic. Teamwork to Camaraderie. If it still is....Why are we teaching how to "hide" mistakes instead of not making them in the first place?

I'm going to go out on a limb.....and rephrase Nanci's original post.....

I DARE you to EXPOSE yourselves!

Gawd! I love this activity!

you answered your own question. it's about the score. you do what you can to hide anything that could hurt you.

look at baseball...most teams have 5 starters all season long. so why do most teams come World Series time go with 3 or 4 starters?

to minimize the chance of loss

While I'm confident I understand the intent of your comment above, this crowd is absolutely the last group you want to DARE to expose themselves - either on the field or off it.

Because they'll do it!!! :tongue:

:sad::tongue::sad::sad::tongue::tongue::tongue:

But Liz. you Jeff and I have stayed involved in some way and grew with the changes. We have adapted to the new while savoring the old.

I knew that I wouldnt get any work if I didnt grow with the changes in the activity. I still love working with St Joes because those are actually some of the same guys I started in drum corps with. But I cannot write the same stuff for Pioneer that I write for St Joes. I will never turn my back on the history of where this all came from, but I actually love where it has gone.

And the biggest changes are in the visual department. And sorry Don, what you did in drum corps in the 1960's is NOTHING like what we are asking performers to do now.

Donny

...right as rain...it's *different* and won't go back. It's a judge-driven activity (maybe go one more level down and just say "competitive"...'cause *that's* what produces change in something that is judged...or costs money!). I'm totally with you Donnie, and have my foot jammed in the door teaching-wise...I ain't leavin' any time soon, either. But I LOVE the Alumni corps, and I know my investment in a certain 26 lb. piece of G brass isn't done yet...AND I wore white bucks and teach two groups with white pants and white shoes in the now...sure, contrasty things (it's a photographic reality that your eye is drawn to white first...) will accent visually...I've never shied from it...hell, "in your face" is a good place to be!

NOW, as for whether black on black "covers" anything...pffffffffffft, if you can't see it, then you shouldn't be judging...I can see that stuff from orbit (where I usually am anyhow...heh)!

cg

um....where does it say you have to be louder to be a champion? I'm thinking of every sheet i've ever seen...i don't see Loud being on there as a prerequisite to the top box.

come on man...really?

you're right it shouldn't happen, but #### happens. I've seen accidents and wipeouts at late season DCA shows too.

and justify please how contrast would do better for those that already have it? if anything, it would level the playing field

...drills have been pushing it for almost 3 decades, one of the most famous train wrecks was at "Preview" in Whitewater in '84...Garfield haulin' during the Z-pull and 6 or 7 went ### over teakettle...I was there and actually watching the 2 side when it happened...poetry! Sure it happens all the time... even high school drills have been that demanding for years now. Then again, I was on the sideline at another Whitewater show in '74 when one of our Kingsmen baris slipped and went down coming into concert...he had enough sense to not try to recover, 'cause that would've cost some tickage doncha know, so we staff went out and carried him off...heh.

AFA contrast; I say make everyone wear a white shoe on the left foot and a black one on the other...*now* we're talkin'!!! :grouphug: (Actually, I'm gonna try to do just that...in rehearsal... :tongue: ).

cg

Charlie,

If you are not too busy with your camera, you are invited to perfoem with St Joes Alumni anytime

DA

Charlie,

If you are not too busy with your camera, you are invited to perfoem with St Joes Alumni anytime

DA

...boy, you sure know how to complicate things, Donny! :doh: (...dude, I'm gettin' a real live TUBA! Hahahaha, my neighbors LOVE me! :thumbup: ).

cg

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, if I must...

Here's my dare....

If y'alll think you are that good..... why not wear opposing shoe colors?

IE: if ya wear black uni. pants.... do you think you are talented enough to wear white bucks?

or

What ever happened to the uni pant stripe?

And don't tell me that these things detract from the *big DESIGN Picture"!

Hmmm.... this should be interesting....

Harking back to this old thread, I watched the Ohio State band during the Rose Bowl half-time show yesterday.

Black pants - white shoes.

Didn't lose a thing when it came to the "big picture' - in fact, it helped.

Harking back to this old thread, I watched the Ohio State band during the Rose Bowl half-time show yesterday.

Black pants - white shoes.

Didn't lose a thing when it came to the "big picture' - in fact, it helped.

They wear spats.

KLbig.jpg