DCI Article addressing sound issues

Corps Scoring (music writing; not points)  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that corps rethinking their musical scoring will create better acoustic sound in LOS?

• Yes
    • No

Here is the Frank Dorritie article from DCI.org: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=3...59-23446d77f1a3

This is the particular quote I am asking about in my poll:

One possible strategy for the future, Dorritie suggests (via a history lesson), is for each corps to find a way to work with, and not against, the sound characteristics of Lucas Oil Stadium.

“In Medieval Europe, liturgical music composers took great advantage of large enclosed spaces in cathedrals by scoring appropriately,” Dorritie explains. “The drum corps that did so this past year—Santa Clara Vanguard, in particular—sounded quite spectacular in Lucas Oil Stadium.”

While I agree that SCV sounded great, this seems oversimplified. Or maybe it's the only solution to better sound. Discuss!

Edited by ajlemm

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have never heard drum corps in Lucas Oil, but I'd rather not have Drum Corps sacrificing something that defines Drum Corps... being loud.

Wow. So now we expect design to cater simply to how the acoustics will be at finals, what about the other 98% of the season?

I would love if DCI could provide actual specifics:

What aspects of the design and arranging would actually improve the wash of sound at LOS?

How drastic do these changes need to be?

Are they coming out and saying the roof will be closed no matter what?

These "sonic anomolies" are much more present then in any other venue of the year. Are they actually going to do something to fix it, or pass the buck onto design staffs and blame them for the sound?

Edited by Jesse

Wow. So now we expect design to cater simply to how the acoustics will be at finals, what about the other 98% of the season?

I would love if DCI could provide actual specifics:

What aspects of the design and arranging would actually improve the wash of sound at LOS?

How drastic do these changes need to be?

Are they coming out and saying the roof will be closed no matter what?

These "sonic anomolies" are much more present then in any other venue of the year. Are they actually going to do something to fix it, or pass the buck onto design staffs and blame them for the sound?

I think the "roof being closed no matter what" is unfortunately a foregone conclusion. Considering that that was one of the "selling points" of having the event there in the first place, that's almost like false advertisement. From what I heard, we as spectators would have been a lot more uncomfortable with the roof open and whether the acoustics would have been improved with the roof open has been debated considerably in a number of threads here. Bottom line here is that this decision should have been a "let's try one year and see what it sounds like" rather than "I'll commit to 10 years, as long as you cross your heart that it will sound good".

Newsflash: The top corps have been doing this for over thirty years.

That's nice.

Can we expect everyone to play mf for eleven minutes, then?

People may have been "playing to the stadium" the past thirty years, but every place Finals has been for the most part since the inception of DCI doesn't happen to be an echo-laden, acoustic nightmare of a dome like we have now.

I refuse to let you make some kind of exception for the situation using that line of thinking.

To make matters worse the last BIG show of the season right before finals is in Allentown, which i consider the Anti-Oil can. Seats are far back, built into a hill, ZERO back stands or side obstruction, obviously no roof, you have to have INCREDIBLE power in the hornline just to get any impact (cadets 07, phantom 06), and every little detail in the music is laid bare for the world to see. After all, you know what they say about J birney crum...

So we have all that, as the final regional, but then finals goes somewhere that's the exact opposite. Or maybe I should delete this post before someone from dci reads it and decides to take action, moving dci east into...umm, the wachovia center?