DCI Article addressing sound issues

Corps Scoring (music writing; not points)  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that corps rethinking their musical scoring will create better acoustic sound in LOS?

• Yes
    • No

I know you're joking, and I do my best not to think that's the road that DCI is going down...but it's getting harder and harder to deny.

i was half-joking and being serious at the same time. it would be a great way to consolidate business and reduce overhead. one management to rule them all.

now i'm going back to the best moment of the night, well, that's after princess tebow's crying like a baby after the game! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZyIKF1RqgQ

Edited by chaos001

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was half-joking and being serious at the same time. it would be a great way to consolidate business and reduce overhead. one management to rule them all.

now i'm going back to the best moment of the night, well, that's after princess tebow's crying like a baby after the game! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZyIKF1RqgQ

Meh, they were doing that chant at my college over a decade ago...maybe longer. They had to stop the band from playing the HEY! song, but the students kept the chant anyway. Makes me proud :tongue:

Meh, they were doing that chant at my college over a decade ago...maybe longer. They had to stop the band from playing the HEY! song, but the students kept the chant anyway. Makes me proud :tongue:

well, Rammer Jammer has been around quite a while. can't seem to find a date of origin.

Edited by chaos001

I'm a bit confused here. I was at LOS for the finals and agree that there were some problems, but I don't have the acoustical knowledge to yell about what should be done.

But I wonder...

Did SCV and the unnamed "other top corps" really design their shows for LOS? They'd never been in the place (OK, for the most part, or for a football game?). If they did "tweak" their shows, I would assume they did it between quarters and finals, and is there really that much tech gear available there for them to get readings on what would sound best the following nights? Maybe it is possible that trained ears can do all that's necessary by instinct and by only listening to a live show once or twice, but that sounds almost superhuman. My uninformed guess is that it would take a few years of competition in LOS for people to have a really good idea what works and what doesn't for the combination of LOS acoustics and a corps' show material, which changes every year. In short, and with absolutely no disrespect to the corps intended, might they just have been lucky?

Setting up a sound stage for a professional show is largely a matter of aiming the jillions of speakers and adjusting sound levels for those amps and speakers, and there are roadies crawling around with sophisticated gear before a show to get things as right as possible. At pop and rock shows, everything and everybody is amped. The roadies also know from experience what differences between an empty indoor arena and a filled one need to be compensated for. But with all the pressured cleaning that's going on as finals approach, it's surely an immense burden for unamped marchers to have to alter what was right at the outdoor shows to compensate for being indoors.

I'm a bit confused here. I was at LOS for the finals and agree that there were some problems, but I don't have the acoustical knowledge to yell about what should be done.

But I wonder...

Did SCV and the unnamed "other top corps" really design their shows for LOS? They'd never been in the place (OK, for the most part, or for a football game?). If they did "tweak" their shows, I would assume they did it between quarters and finals, and is there really that much tech gear available there for them to get readings on what would sound best the following nights? Maybe it is possible that trained ears can do all that's necessary by instinct and by only listening to a live show once or twice, but that sounds almost superhuman. My uninformed guess is that it would take a few years of competition in LOS for people to have a really good idea what works and what doesn't for the combination of LOS acoustics and a corps' show material, which changes every year. In short, and with absolutely no disrespect to the corps intended, might they just have been lucky?

Setting up a sound stage for a professional show is largely a matter of aiming the jillions of speakers and adjusting sound levels for those amps and speakers, and there are roadies crawling around with sophisticated gear before a show to get things as right as possible. At pop and rock shows, everything and everybody is amped. The roadies also know from experience what differences between an empty indoor arena and a filled one need to be compensated for. But with all the pressured cleaning that's going on as finals approach, it's surely an immense burden for unamped marchers to have to alter what was right at the outdoor shows to compensate for being indoors.

Umm....how to respond to this....hmm...how bout....

Yes.

Let's not forget that only 5 out of about 35 performances are in a dome setting, and it's unreasonable to ask the performers to change what they do for a 7th of the shows. But it's even more unreasonable considering that drum corps REHEARSE outside. If you add up the total number of time you run your show during the season your looking in the area of 150 run throughs. How on earth can you run your show 145 times outside and be expected to get it right when it counts inside?

Obviously you do not attend many shows. Atlanta and San Antonio are much worst sonically.

They are working on solutions. Let's work with them and keep building up the activity.

Just to set the record straight...

I've seen my fair share of DCI shows. In fact, I marched in DCI. I have performed and watched shows at Atlanta and San Antonio (and the RCA dome for that matter). Of course they are much worse then LOS. But on that same scale LOS is much worse then any outdoor stadium I have ever watched a show in. This is finals we are talking about.

Forgive me, but I have become skeptical about much of what DCI says about LOS: it was supposed to be designed with acoustics in mind, right? Not. And despite any attempt to eliminate reverb, it will be there. I for one do not want to spend my money anymore to travel and watch finals if the acoustics detract from the listening experience as much as they did in 2009. 2008 had a much better venue in my opinion.

How is this not DCI's fault? They had the option to bail after a year. Obviously they chose not to, and I disagree with that decision. I'd rather just get the DVDs now, it's much cheaper.

I wish all of the DCA detractors would stay on their side as they can never see anything good about DCI.

What does DCA have to do with this?

Let's not forget that only 5 out of about 35 performances are in a dome setting, and it's unreasonable to ask the performers to change what they do for a 7th of the shows. But it's even more unreasonable considering that drum corps REHEARSE outside. If you add up the total number of time you run your show during the season your looking in the area of 150 run throughs. How on earth can you run your show 145 times outside and be expected to get it right when it counts inside?

soon they will have to if they want to win. i bet a $1.

I LOL'd when I saw her do that.

she's spooning with Coach Creyer as we speak. :tongue:

Newsflash: The top corps have been doing this for over thirty years.

exactly. and SCV, low end synth aside, did it best last year