DCI Article addressing sound issues

Corps Scoring (music writing; not points)  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that corps rethinking their musical scoring will create better acoustic sound in LOS?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh great, like he needs more self-confidence! :tongue:

:tongue: I am pretty shy :sad:

ok....so....without blowing corps already stretched budgets, how do you propose fixing this?

It's not my responsibility to manage every corps' budget. If you want to take advantage of the opportunities afforded by the new electronics rule, do it right...or don't do it at all (see? now both camps are happy).

Buy the right equipment. Train your sound techs, or hire trained techs in the first place. Don't make your marimba tech "run the board", unless he's trained. Make use of cell phones or other communication devices to talk to someone with a trained ear in the box. Understand that every venue is different, so gluing your board's knobs in place isn't going to work.

Electronics and amplification are no different than any other facet of drum corps...the right equipment, maintenance, an operational education will ensure proper use.

Please note that this is a different topic from how amplification and electronics are judged. That's a whole 'nuther ball of wax that needs to be addressed.

Here is the Frank Dorritie article from DCI.org: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=3...59-23446d77f1a3

This is the particular quote I am asking about in my poll:

One possible strategy for the future, Dorritie suggests (via a history lesson), is for each corps to find a way to work with, and not against, the sound characteristics of Lucas Oil Stadium.

"In Medieval Europe, liturgical music composers took great advantage of large enclosed spaces in cathedrals by scoring appropriately," Dorritie explains. "The drum corps that did so this past year—Santa Clara Vanguard, in particular—sounded quite spectacular in Lucas Oil Stadium."

While I agree that SCV sounded great, this seems oversimplified. Or maybe it's the only solution to better sound. Discuss!

From what I understand from other musicians from other types of events that have taken place at LOS... Dorritie is basically correct when he infers that the sound at LOS basically su##s regardless if you have the roof open or not.

Remember DCI is the corps, it is not a separate entity! So if you are skeptical about DCI you are really doubting the corps as DCI is the corps!!!!!

Last I checked DCI IS a separate legal entity.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the current leadership structure require a corps to be a semifinalist for x number of years before a group even gets a vote? Regardless of the specifics, I am under the impression that not all corps are involved in the decision making for DCI. I could be wrong.

While I cannot remember if DCI made public any details about the decision to move to Indy and use LOS, the current Board of Directors only has six members from DCI corps. (Mark Arnold - BK, Rick Valenzuela - PR, Jeff Fiedler - SCV, David Glasgow - Bluecoats, George Hopkins - Cadets, and Greg Orwoll - Colts)

I believe every WC corps has a vote regarding major decisions (rule changes, promoting corps to WC, etc.) Prior to 2008, all WC corps were part of the Board of Directors.

Last I checked DCI IS a separate legal entity.

While I cannot remember if DCI made public any details about the decision to move to Indy and use LOS, the current Board of Directors only has six members from DCI corps. (Mark Arnold - BK, Rick Valenzuela - PR, Jeff Fiedler - SCV, David Glasgow - Bluecoats, George Hopkins - Cadets, and Greg Orwoll - Colts)

I believe every WC corps has a vote regarding major decisions (rule changes, promoting corps to WC, etc.) Prior to 2008, all WC corps were part of the Board of Directors.

I thought it was 9....these guys

ringwraiths13.jpg

and I'm the King of France...

I feel like it right now. Watching football, drinking wine in the heart of paris....feeling very kingly

I wonder, when all is said and done in several years, if this will go down as another one of those bad dci business decisions, like holding the finals in Jackson, MS.