DCI Article addressing sound issues

Corps Scoring (music writing; not points)  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that corps rethinking their musical scoring will create better acoustic sound in LOS?

• Yes
    • No

and not only that Bawk, but maybe Mr. Blair has people he knows as well

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure where this got off track with pages about electronics. But, yes work needs to be done, regardless of the venue, to improve the balance, etc. of the electronics. But this is not the biggest part of the issue here.

The issue is that the DRUMS AND HORNS will need to be arranged differently or, let's be frank here, "stupided down" for LOS. You'll hear a lot less intricate articulations in the hornlines since "lots of notes" will get jumbled/muffled in the dome and lose points because it "sounds" like the hornline is not together. Drumlines will get smaller or play softer to limit the reverb. etc. etc. etc.

Even if we could revert to the days of 100% accoustic sounds, the music will have to be too negatively affected if it has to be written to sound good in LOS!!!

ok....so....without blowing corps already stretched budgets, how do you propose fixing this?

I see where you are going with this.

Okay... about LOS... I can't be fixed, unless a whole crap load of money is spent, and who will be spending that money? yeah, not possible. About electronics? They need to be turned down in the Oil Can big time... and of course outside too. In LOS you do not need any bass boost.. there is plenty of that from the constant bass echo. The best solution would be to unplug, and I'm okay with amps when they are done right, but my opinion is changing fast, because it is not getting better.

It is nice to see DCI is wanting to fix things, or at least talking like they are going to. But there is just nothing you can do in a stadium like this. And the roof being open will not help enough, if at all. The stadium is TOO BIG for drum corps. And the roof won't uncover enough, and you would need both endzones to be open. There is too much surface area in that stadium.

Oh and on topic... wooops, haha....

I really hope corps do not change their programs for LOS. Are they trying to ruin the activity? Like really, I would be gone. I'm not going to come to a show to see a miniature drumline and a hornline playing all potato notes at mf... no thanks, I'd rather go watch a local 20 member marching band.

We tried it for a year... it didn't work, if there is a way out... we need it now, if there isn't a way out, well aren't we ####ed.

Oh and on topic... wooops, haha....

I really hope corps do not change their programs for LOS. Are they trying to ruin the activity? Like really, I would be gone. I'm not going to come to a show to see a miniature drumline and a hornline playing all potato notes at mf... no thanks, I'd rather go watch a local 20 member marching band.

We tried it for a year... it didn't work, if there is a way out... we need it now, if there isn't a way out, well aren't we ####ed.

I couldn't say it better......I wish all could be fixed, but....not gonna happen, and it would take divine intervention to make Lucas sound good.........sad.........

GB

You know, we did have DCI finals in an echo chamber prior to LOS (i.e. Olympic Stadium, Montreal, 1981/1982)....and SCV/BD sure didn't skimp on notes those years.

This whole business about "writing for the finals venue" is overblown, too. Aside from the occasional use of a stadium tunnel at either end of a performance, most other memorable effects enjoyed at a DCI finals were written to be effective in any large venue.

Fact is, 95% of DCI events take place in outdoor venues. Judges and staffs have had to cope with the occasional indoor echo chamber for over a decade now, and they have done so without shows being rewritten for that purpose. LOS doesn't change that game. In the end, DCI is going to have to put the judges in one of LOS's acoustic sweet spots....and when they do, the same effects they went for outdoors will score the same points indoors. The judge/instructor community will have it no other way.

I'm sure there are some spots better than others... but you still get the effects of the echo everywhere. The judges have to judge from a similar position, echo chamber or not. If you notice, the domes don't really effect the scores all that much... things pretty much stay consistent. The problem with the domes is the entertainment and performance quality factor.

You know, we did have DCI finals in an echo chamber prior to LOS (i.e. Olympic Stadium, Montreal, 1981/1982)....and SCV/BD sure didn't skimp on notes those years.

This whole business about "writing for the finals venue" is overblown, too. Aside from the occasional use of a stadium tunnel at either end of a performance, most other memorable effects enjoyed at a DCI finals were written to be effective in any large venue.

Fact is, 95% of DCI events take place in outdoor venues. Judges and staffs have had to cope with the occasional indoor echo chamber for over a decade now, and they have done so without shows being rewritten for that purpose. LOS doesn't change that game. In the end, DCI is going to have to put the judges in one of LOS's acoustic sweet spots....and when they do, the same effects they went for outdoors will score the same points indoors. The judge/instructor community will have it no other way.

so all judges in the 100 level between the 45's?