DCI Article addressing sound issues

Corps Scoring (music writing; not points)  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that corps rethinking their musical scoring will create better acoustic sound in LOS?

• Yes
    • No

When they run their own sound, The President's Own sounds absolutely amazing outside. Ditto for most symphonies.

Disclaimer: I have pretty extensive sound support experience, garnered while in the Army Band. That's one of the reasons that most DCI corps' sound systems drive me absolutely batty. I *know* it can be done, and done well outside (and inside). There are only a couple of corps that get it right.

Unfortunately those are the corps that can afford financially to "get it right". It probably takes more than a good ear to fix these major problems. It would also take great equipment and not every corps has the same budget focused on electronics. I realize that this it what it has become, but is the truth. Not every corps can afford to stay with the Joneses in this newer element of drum corps. Sound equipment and hiring of sound engineering pros have become more important than some of the things that were staple expenditures in previous times of "drum corps".

Donny

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, it's these: skeksi16.jpg

how touristy. btw, go to Fauchon.

I am so NOT tousisty......I have been lving here for over 3 months.....no realy siure how ive survived. And wtf is fauchon???

I wonder, when all is said and done in several years, if this will go down as another one of those bad dci business decisions, like holding the finals in Jackson, MS.

well I know a few people who were at both, and they rated Jackson higher.

I'll know in August if I agree

Unfortunately those are the corps that can afford financially to "get it right". It probably takes more than a good ear to fix these major problems. It would also take great equipment and not every corps has the same budget focused on electronics. I realize that this it what it has become, but is the truth. Not every corps can afford to stay with the Joneses in this newer element of drum corps. Sound equipment and hiring of sound engineering pros have become more important than some of the things that were staple expenditures in previous times of "drum corps".

Donny

but Donny...given how many balance issues there are year year after year...how many corps are really hiring these experts?

but Donny...given how many balance issues there are year year after year...how many corps are really hiring these experts?

given the results...im going to go with the simplest number/....

I am so NOT tousisty......I have been lving here for over 3 months.....no realy siure how ive survived. And wtf is fauchon???

lol. you can be as tousisty as you want! :tongue:

OMG. it's like the MOST FAMOUS shop in Paris. www.fauchon.fr

apparently it's telling me i can't enter the site with Safari according to my broken French. urgh.

/on topic

the sound will not get better to any adequate level until Finals are held somewhere else other than Indy.

lol. you can be as tousisty as you want! :tongue:

OMG. it's like the MOST FAMOUS shop in Paris. www.fauchon.fr

apparently it's telling me i can't enter the site with Safari according to my broken French. urgh.

Yea....in my less broken french, it looks like they want me to spend 10 dollars for some nuts. No thanks.....i have no money as is Also, on topic, echo is bad, um, please fx....k thx bye

Donny

Weren't we saying this kind of #### 10 years ago about Bb/G?

When are we going to face the reality that drum corps is not at the level of professionalism to push limits of performing visual and acoustical flawless artistic minimalist crap? You guys (not directed at you Donny) are adding problems on levels beyond your pocket book and comprehension. Please, face the music. We are part of a niche community of people who like loud brass, theatrics (GE), percussion and drums, and dancing. Thats it. Just make it simple and make it identifiable as different.

Poorly managed amplifiers and poorly utilizes or moldy cheese electronic patches are just as bad, if not tremendously worse at destroying the GE package and effectiveness of a show than the intonation of hornlines.

Haven't read the entire thread, am not a music major and certainly don't have Franks background in recording/acoustics. :worthy: C'mon Frank you're probably looking at this as a challenge. :worthy:

Seriously, can this be done in a way that would not adversely affect the sound of shows being done outside? And are we talking about the eletronic portion of the sound which would probably be settings "B" as opposed to settings "A" for inside? Have done shows where we tinkered with sound and drill because of different stadium layouts but how would/should the sound coming from the marching portion of the corps be changed? Sounds like the corps would have the "indoor" sound level and the "outdoor" sound levels to be played (manually).

Edited by JimF-3rdBari