Are we getting ripped off on the Finals DVD's

I do miss the features. and Kyle is dead on correct....get the DCA dvds. you wont complain about the DCI product or cost.

i havent gotten this years yet, but considering the venue, it may affect future purchases

Edited by Jeff Ream

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me put it this way:

You know what's on the DVD. You know what features will/won't be on those DVDs. DCI is not hiding anything from you. A DVD is not a service like Verizon; the analogy is flawed. If you're paying for a continual service and it's not what was advertised, you have a right to complain. If you know that the issue exists and pay anyway, that isn't anyone else's fault but your own.

If you complain about the lack of features advertised on the Web site as you're typing in your credit card number in, well, that's not DCI's problem.

Let me put it this way:

You know what's on the DVD. You know what features will/won't be on those DVDs. DCI is not hiding anything from you. A DVD is not a service like Verizon; the analogy is flawed. If you're paying for a continual service and it's not what was advertised, you have a right to complain. If you know that the issue exists and pay anyway, that isn't anyone else's fault but your own.

If you complain about the lack of features advertised on the Web site as you're typing in your credit card number in, well, that's not DCI's problem.

I don't see any complaints about DCI hiding anything so no idea why that's being brought up. But if the price stays the same and lot of the features disappear without explaination, I think a consumer has the a right to say WTF? The idea of if you bought it you have no right to complain or question is just bizzare to me. Worse thing a provider of a product or service can do is have no feedback from the customers.

Just picturing an old business cartoon from years ago:

Good news is we have no customer complaints.

Bad news is we have no customers.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Or, it costs more money each year to provide the same quality product with the same features and rather than charge customers more and lose customers altogether because this niche product is simply too expensive, they scale back on the features and make it affordable to produce at the price DCI is offering to its customer.

There's no WTF -- if something gets more expensive to produce and you insist on producing the same product and insist on keeping your price flat, you're going to lose money and eventually stop producing the product altogether or, worse, go out of business. Then all of us passionate drum corps fans who always have to find something to gripe about with DCI will then say a WTF about why DCI can't find a vendor to produce a high quality product at an affordable price.

$99 is a lot, IMO, yet the quality of the product is outstanding. I'm willing to pay $99 for less bells and whistles. I'm not willing to pay $149 or whatever-it-would-be for the high-quality product with the bells and whistles. For me, getting rid of some of the bells and whistles was the right call.

There's a saying that goes something like, "If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one around, does it still make a sound?" Sometimes I wonder if we can add "If DCI does something right, will we admit it?" to the mix.

As others have said -- no deceptive advertising here. You know what you're getting and you know what you're spending to get it. If it's worth it to you, buy it. If it's not, don't.

Edited by luvscorps

Or, it costs more money each year to provide the same quality product with the same features and rather than charge customers more and lose customers altogether because this niche product is simply too expensive, they scale back on the features and make it affordable to produce at the price DCI is offering to its customer.

No argument there, also (just saw bccadets post on page 1) the less people buying, the higher the price will be because the fixed costs have to be split among the people who buy.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, my issue would be about no explaination about the features being dropped. Think there are some good reasons given here in the thread, but the explaination should be given by the supplier so the customers will be informed. When it is a niche market it's better to go the extra step to inform the customers. Right now we're all just guessing at the reason(s) for the changes.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I do miss the features that the older DVDs had, but I don't feel we're getting ripped off. I remember when I bought my first finals video of 1998 finals when they were on TAPE, they were the same price the are now with NO features, just the multicam. So I am willing to pay the current price for the DVDs.

I do miss the features that the older DVDs had, but I don't feel we're getting ripped off. I remember when I bought my first finals video of 1998 finals when they were on TAPE, they were the same price the are now with NO features, just the multicam. So I am willing to pay the current price for the DVDs.

tape??? :grouphug: