Crossmen 2010 Production Announced

In Aaron's defense (caveat: I've only encountered his arrangments as a fan, not a performer), I think many of his HS arrangements carry a jazz-type feel to them, or at least an upbeat, swingy style. I think he'll do a fine job with these pieces, even if they do end up slightly unconventional.

Mike

My guess is that they will be pretty good this year. Yes, even with Aaron Guidry involved. I know he's an easy target for some Crossmen folks, but their ire is misplaced when it comes to why things just haven't worked out much for them on the field recently. So no, I don't think it's all up to Aaron Guidry right now. They've obviously assessed their situation and examined their weaknesses and as a result, they are putting their eggs in the Wes Cartwright basket. In accordance with that, Aaron Guidry might just turn out to be the BEST choice they can make musically. There is obviously a comfort level there with the Broken Arrow connection, and with Wes bringing in Leon and his people on the visual side, and Wes himself taking helm of the color guard thing, I see this show having a good chance to come together a lot more cohesively than anything the Crossmen have done in many years. Personally, I didn't care much for the 2002 Metheny arrangement (aside from the pit parts), or even some of the 1991 stuff for that matter. Thankfully, they corrected the sins of 1991 Third Wind in the wonderful 1998 show. That 1998 show was dead on accurate in how I think that music should be handled. I don't expect them to stay as true to the original music as that show did, but I think the commitment they're making to what has worked for them programmatically in the past is a step in the right direction, if not a possible game changer for that organization. Much of the design pieces they've assembled on staff have a good history of success working together before. Something their previous design teams did not. So it will be interesting to see how it all develops. Time will tell.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say Mark would be smart enough to merge today with the legend of Bones drumming. After all...everyone gasped when they went classical in 95, yet Mark adapted beautifully and it was still "Crossmen" drumming.

yeah, but since I'm pretty sure he's NOT writing this show, lets talk about something else....Like "How will Guidry write Metheny?....Will it be another Mix-Tape/Mash-up show, or will he let the melodies come through?"

Time will tell....I'm still excited to hear this news

My guess is that they will be pretty good this year. Yes, even with Aaron Guidry involved. I know he's an easy target for some Crossmen folks, but their ire is misplaced when it comes to why things just haven't worked out much for them on the field recently. So no, I don't think it's all up to Aaron Guidry right now. They've obviously assessed their situation and examined their weaknesses and as a result, they are putting their eggs in the Wes Cartwright basket. In accordance with that, Aaron Guidry might just turn out to be the BEST choice they can make musically. There is obviously a comfort level there with the Broken Arrow connection, and with Wes bringing in Leon and his people on the visual side, and Wes himself taking helm of the color guard thing, I see this show having a good chance to come together a lot more cohesively than anything the Crossmen have done in many years. Personally, I didn't care much for the 2002 Metheny arrangement (aside from the pit parts), or even some of the 1991 stuff for that matter. Thankfully, they corrected the sins of 1991 Third Wind in the wonderful 1998 show. That 1998 show was dead on accurate in how I think that music should be handled. I don't expect them to stay as true to the original music as that show did, but I think the commitment they're making to what has worked for them programmatically in the past is a step in the right direction, if not a possible game changer for that organization. Much of the design pieces they've assembled on staff have a good history of success working together before. Something their previous design teams did not. So it will be interesting to see how it all develops. Time will tell.

we'll disagree on 91 vs 98 Third Wind

Yes, I think 91's version is much better.

I loved both the 91 and 98 shows. This could be a great

program for Bones and I'm looking forward to seeing them.

And I would love to know what the ballad will be....

Perhaps it will be another version of "We just marched an opener that was way too difficult for us and now we're going to wear ourselves out before we get to the closer by double-timing this ballad with no real musical impact."

Not at all happy with the designs for the past few years, which is a shame considering how much I love this corps. I'm hoping this is the year everything finally clicks, because we all know what the Crossmen can do with Metheny. I'm hoping Guidry doesn't do his typical slice-and-dice harmonic-fifth-progression arranging we've come to expect. I'd rather listen to Girltalk for mash-ups...

Perhaps it will be another version of "We just marched an opener that was way too difficult for us and now we're going to wear ourselves out before we get to the closer by double-timing this ballad with no real musical impact."

Not at all happy with the designs for the past few years, which is a shame considering how much I love this corps. I'm hoping this is the year everything finally clicks, because we all know what the Crossmen can do with Metheny. I'm hoping Guidry doesn't do his typical slice-and-dice harmonic-fifth-progression arranging we've come to expect. I'd rather listen to Girltalk for mash-ups...

The ballad in '09 was really easy. The hornline stood on the back sideline for the first minute and a half.

2007 and 2008, yeah, you've got a point. Although in 2008 the ballad proper (Wonderful World) was pretty easy because the hornline stood still the whole time, but the second part was pretty intense. 2007 the ballad made me want to kill myself, and I didn't even play most of it (but it turns out dutting is actually more physically tiring than playing. . . never would've thought).

Has it even been stated that Guidry would be doing the arranging? I know he's considered a "music design" member but are they going to let him arrange everything, just transitions, or hand over the reins to someone else.

Technically Carol Chambers does the "arranging," but my understanding has always been that Guidry hands her a semi-complete book and she just scores it for brass, adds little technical flourishes/runs and then gives it to Goldberg.

It hasn't officially been said that Guidry is arranging, but I'm almost 99.9% sure that that is the case.