Crossmen 2010 Production Announced

Repetition of greatness doesn't bother me. Repetition because you don't have any original ideas is another thing completely.

The Crossmen have done very well with Methney, and I think it's a strong, smart move to return to their comfort zone and build from there. Heck, they can revisit Birdland if it helps them to grow and sustain a finalist corps again!

And...because I am very old...bring back the long capes again. And all the guys in the snare line have to grow moustaches and look tough and scary, like they used to.

Good luck to Bones!

KS

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is NOTHING wrong with going back into the past every now and then, even if its playing not only the same composer, but the same music. I've said it before in repertoire threads, but as long as there's something out there for everyone, people really dont have much reason to complain. If you want generic BOA-ish shows in your drum corps, dont worry, I can guarantee that some corps will still appease you :grouphug:

And yeah, we havent heard a note yet, but this is a step in the right direction. You cant make a good arrangement out of bad music (well, it's harder), and Medea, as awesome as it is, sort of lends itself to that hack and slack / 2 note melody stuff that many are tired of hearing. At least this has LOTS of potential.

I really like the idea of them doing Metheny again. I'm also curious to see how they can put a new spin on it rather than just rehashing the past.

While there may be some truth to the argument that this is somewhat of a rehash, I don't think there are many here that would dispute that if any corps has desperately needed to go back to their roots in the past couple of years, it's the Crossmen. I'm not super-stoked, but this is definitely better than I expected.

Now it's all in the hands of Aaron Guidry. Hope he puts out something worth playing/listening to.

Edited by liebot

I would say Mark would be smart enough to merge today with the legend of Bones drumming. After all...everyone gasped when they went classical in 95, yet Mark adapted beautifully and it was still "Crossmen" drumming.

I agree, Mark has been in charge of WGI percussion for many years so he is still in the loop with what is going on, i think he would definately be able make things work and bring back what he was doing in the 90's with crossmen.......unfortunately i havent seen any signs of this happening....but we can all hope and dream.

I actually have a bunch of crossmen shows from those years on my ipod and I listen to them when im on the treadmill at my gym......I play it pretty loud and sometimes get strange looks from other people....they just don't understand how bad ### that stuff is

I agree, Mark has been in charge of WGI percussion for many years so he is still in the loop with what is going on, i think he would definately be able make things work and bring back what he was doing in the 90's with crossmen.......unfortunately i havent seen any signs of this happening....but we can all hope and dream.

I actually have a bunch of crossmen shows from those years on my ipod and I listen to them when im on the treadmill at my gym......I play it pretty loud and sometimes get strange looks from other people....they just don't understand how bad ### that stuff is

I hear ya. I was taught by guys who played under Mark and taught with him. I doubt we'd ever see him back there, but stranger things have happened.

I'llsay this...I'll not pass judgement til I see it. I have reservations, because I'm not a fan of Guidry's work. I thought Russian Xmas, while the best part of the 07 show, was still lame.

In Aaron's defense (caveat: I've only encountered his arrangments as a fan, not a performer), I think many of his HS arrangements carry a jazz-type feel to them, or at least an upbeat, swingy style. I think he'll do a fine job with these pieces, even if they do end up slightly unconventional.

Mike