1976 Muchachos question

Being away from following corps when the tic system went away made this even a bigger change for me when I came back. Back then a corps could have an "off" night execution wise and go down a position or two. What made it more exciting was the crowd was more able to tell when a corps was "off" so the suspense wating for the scores was increased. Likewise a corps could be executing cleaner than usual (aka playing over their heads :rolleyes: ) for the same suspense. Now it's all subjective (IMO) on HOW the show is performed and to be honest I can't follow who should come in what position anymore.

1978 we knocked off Reading Buccs twice out of the dozen or so times we met. Man did that add to the excitement at those shows. Also gave corps staff a good reason to run us into the ground at practice. "C'mon #### it, ya want to beat 'em again... WORK"

Edited by JimF-3rdBari
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I too was at prelims in '76 and did not see them. I think they would have done well if the were there but DCI could have forced them to stay out. Who knows!

I was at DCI '76 Prelims in Philadelphia and the Muchachos did perform that day. I remember it specifically since our band played all of their music and we had clones of their uniforms. I specifically remember at the end of the show, one of the members passed out.

I do believe that was the last VFW finals 1976 with top junior corps in attendance.

Actually 1977 had the VFW National Champion Blue Stars who just edged the Cavaliers and with Garfield coming in third in Minneapolis, Mn. And, the Cavaliers were not happy. Standing on retreat we ( Blue Stars ) had to cover our ears with the things that they said. LOL I also remember we marched that show with only 6 of 11 lead sopranos. The other 5 needed to get home for the start of school. We had a lot of out of state members.

Wow; I don't remember that, and I was on the field in finale with Cavaliers. I most remember we weren't excited to be doing any post-DCI shows and it was hard as heck to put the show back together after three days of no rehearsals between Denver and Minneapolis.

Hmmm. nothing on fromthepressbox and our yearbook doesn't list anything for Westchester. You sure we were there? You sure it was 76?

It is funny about places you've been when you marched. I don't remember most of the places I've been. You travel, get off the bus, sleep, practice, shower perform and on the the next city. So, I guess we could have been there.

Uh...I'm looking at the corps yearbook for 1976 and the tour article I wrote mentions Westchester in a big headline and also mentions that Garfield beat us. Might be time to be checked for cataracts. :tongue:

Uh...I'm looking at the corps yearbook for 1976 and the tour article I wrote mentions Westchester in a big headline and also mentions that Garfield beat us. Might be time to be checked for cataracts.

Here are those scores:

August 12, 1976 Westchester, PA

Blue Devils 87.30

Garfield 80.85

Cavaliers 80.30

Kilts 70.00

I remember standing on the field in finale with Muchachos not too far away. You can hear some interesting comments considering what happened in 75. Then someone got the bright idea to put their busses right next to ours. Let's just say cooler heads prevailed and we left before any major incident happened.

well there were lots of stories concerning cavies and them back then and who had what involvement concerning 75..only to have many top corps with several holes the night of finals......yeah the good ole days... :rolleyes:

We seem to bring this story up every 2 yeas or so and I don't think the rea story HAS or EVER WIll come out. DCI disqualified them and that was that. Whatever were done wih their results are gone and if there is anyone in the know, they haven't come forward to tell the real story...or have they?

It's a sad story for sure, but in the end a once power house in drum corps was "killed."

• Like 1

We seem to bring this story up every 2 yeas or so and I don't think the rea story HAS or EVER WIll come out. DCI disqualified them and that was that. Whatever were done wih their results are gone and if there is anyone in the know, they haven't come forward to tell the real story...or have they?

There was a great (and in depth) discussion about this on Sound Machine some years ago. It goes a few pages:

HERE

It's a sad story for sure, but in the end a once power house in drum corps was "killed."

Well accrording to their members they were shown or told of the results......guess thats really doesnt mean anything either......but those involved outside of Muchachos ( other corps or directors ) Im sure those members werent told of their personal dealings..In fact im sure of it. :shutup:

ahhh the good ole days... :blink:

Wasn't there personally, but just from the audio recording, you can tell that the Muchachos had a massive phasing problem in the second half of their opener at '76 DCI prelims. Horns went backfield at slightly different tempos, separated by a full beat or so, then turned around to play the next several rhythms in obvious disagreement. It took the rest of the OTL for the corps to arrive at a consensus once again, and I imagine there must have been quite a bit of foot-phasing and out-of-step incurred in the process.

I've always assumed that was why Muchachos score/placement suffered at '76 DCI compared to other shows.

And with the tick system, depending on how nasty a judge wanted to be... that's a LOT of ticks...