Best 4th Place Corps...

Best 4th Place Corps of the 2000s?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Almost there to the top 3 medalists....but out of these 4th place winners, which one got robbed, do you think?

• 2000 - Santa Clara Vanguard (The Age of Reverence)
    • 2001 - Santa Clara Vanguard (New Era Metropolis)
    • 2002 - Santa Clara Vanguard (Sound, Shape, and Color)
    • 2003 - Phantom Regiment (Harmonic Journey)
    • 2004 - The Cadets (Living With The Past)
    • 2005 - Blue Devils (Dance Derby of the Cenury)
    • 2006 - Bluecoats (Connexus)
    • 2007 - Phantom Regiment (On Air)
    • 2008 - Carolina Crown (Finis)
    • 2009 - The Cavaliers (The Great Divide)

I'm sorry...was the title "Bestest" or "Favoritest"?? I must have misread that.

Obviously, as stated before many times, I pretty much bleed Phantom Regiment. But '03? C'mon, honks. Seriously. Favorite, OK--but best? I probably wouldn't even rank it in the top 3 4's of the decade, but I'd have to see SCV '00 to say for sure, even were I to answer as a biased Buick.

That being said, Best I would have to say the '07 version of PR. Still don't care for the show, but they are sandwiched between two of the finest shows EVER in Faust and Spartacus, each for different reasons (overall product in the former, GE and AUDIENCE REACTION of the latter). So the talent was obviously very high. And '07 was a HYPER-competitive year, meaning the top 3 were once again the BIG 3, so anyone in the 4 spot HAS to be on the short list for the award.

And same thing for Crown '08...you guys aren't voting based on quality, you're voting based on "Favoritest"--just sayin'.

So, me personally, I say it's pretty hand's down. This decade has been all about the top 12--well, pretty much the ENTIRE ACTIVITY--taking a step up in quality due to the reduction in number of corps. So the later 1/3 get top nods ahead of the earlier 1/3's obviously. In terms of talent, there is no comparison, IMHO (have to remember to include that to sound a little more open-minded, I guess), between '07 Regiment and '03. While I like the show from '03 better, that word 'like' and "Best" are two different balls of wax. But some REALLY great 4's out there to contemplate...and I'm SURE glad to welcome Crown into the discussion with some high finishes lately!

Just my take.

EDIT: Forgot to add...I'm partial to Crown's Finis due to the inclusion of Claire de Lune, since I marched it at Phantom, so take that into consideration when I say "Best" versus "Favorite" as well.

EDIT-EDIT: b/c I can't spell "say" correctly apparently.

Edited by silvertrombone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I would like to add that a drum corps show is more than a musical program. The visual program is equally important, which in the case of regiment 03 bores me to death. I love the music of regiment 03, I bought the mp3 off the fan network and everything, but I can't stand to watch the video. So, that is why MY vote didn't go for 03.

Not the cleanest but this one should be SCV '01 by a landslide.

And same thing for Crown '08...you guys aren't voting based on quality, you're voting based on "Favoritest"--just sayin'.

Your arrogance is noted...and dismissed.

I'll thank you not to tell me what criteria I'm voting based upon, as I feel I'm more than qualified to comment on what I believe is a quality performance.

08 Crown barely over 03 Phantom. if we by ballads alone SCV 00 wins

I'd have to agree jeff... and the ballads in the two other shows you mentioned are pretty insane themselves.

Edit: Agreeing on the ballad thing... My vote was regiment '03

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

I can't believe that '00 SCV hasn't completely run away with this one.

Duh, folks. Duh.

You can come down off your high horse and realise that not everyone agrees with a member who marched the show. Might check into that boastfullness. It doesn't translate very well for SCV pride.