Gloversville N.Y. DCA show

Could this show have been in Amsterdam or Johnstown? I have a picture from a show in '76 that was from that area....maybe it was Gloversville. Let's face it, '76....Phoenix....not knowing where we were, you connect the dots.

The picture I have is dated 8-21-76, the avatar is it.

Edited by ereese

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good catch, I think we did Johnstown in those years. I do remember going past a race track to get to the stadium.

Someone has to know. I think Rochester Crusaders and Phoenix were in the show.

Charlie

Could this show have been in Amsterdam or Johnstown? I have a picture from a show in '76 that was from that area....maybe it was Gloversville. Let's face it, '76....Phoenix....not knowing where we were, you connect the dots.

I was there but the brain is mush

I suspect the racetrack in question would be the Fonda Speedway which is located at that thruway exit and you go north to Johnstown or Gloversville

• 4 weeks later...

Several years on our way to the Gloversville show, our buses would drive through a town...not sure if it was Gloversville or some other nearby town...... that was having some sort of street festival/town fair. So every year we would sit in traffic, inching our way through town, looking out at all the locals having fun.

Not that taking a long bus ride to some town in the middle of nowhere in NY state on a warm summer day wasn't fun. :tongue:

Fran

• 6 months later...
I don't remember Sky doing a Gloversville show in 79 ... and June 9 from that era would have be the Hurcs show ... I also don't remember the Bucs losing to anyone in early 79 ...

:-)

I know it's been a long time since this was posted, but I haven't been on this forum for a long time and I did want to respond to your comment. I know for a fact that we were in Gloversville in '79 because I was with the corps then and was in the show and attended the after party. It was at that party that I earned the corps nick name of Chester the Molester! I'll pass on an explaination on how I got it.

That show was the closest one to my home in Clifton Park, NY while I was with Sky. Following the after party we formed a small car caravan and took the approx. hour trip to my home where I housed a number of my fellow crops men for the evening including Al Hopper, Shakey and his wife, John Hertlein, Red VanDuyne and there may have been a few others I've forgotten. There are stories from that evening that will live in infamy... at least amongst those of us that were there that night! LoL

So, enough for now and maybe I'll be back again... withing a few years! [O:

• 2 weeks later...
There was a DCA show in Gloversville N.Y. in 1976. Does anyone have any information about this show?

Better late then never.

Here ya go:

August 21, 1976

Gloversville, NY

1. Caballeros 86.400

2. Buccaneers 75.200

3. Sunrisers 75.100

4. Yankee Rebels 73.300

5. Thunderbirds 67.950

Edited by gsksun4

1981 Gloversville was also the origin of Superman as well. And no I will NOT tell Sky and Sun where he is or his secret identity. Last I knew you guys are STILL after him! :tongue:

:tongue:

LOL, you want the story on that whole mess? One of the more bizzare incidents from my drum corps experiences....

Yes, please!!!

Honestly... I don't remember us (Sunrisers) being involved in that at all. Not saying we weren't... I just don't remember. :thumbup: