DCP No Longer Important?

:blink:

Somehow you always find the way to get your rant in ~ I'll give you an A for persistence and and F for content. Just because YOU are no longer involved in drum corps doesn't make DCp inconsequential. Many readers of DCp no longer participate in the activity as anything other than a reader or spectator.

If it weren't for DCP, I probably wouldn't have known that my local corps called the season early and continued to go to the scheduled camps in vain. If it weren't for DCP I probably wouldn't know who was performing at DCA, until they stepped onto the field (and only if I had a program).

But then again DCP has failed to sell me on the plusses of certain rules and conditions. It has yet to motivate me to increase my annual travel by 10K miles and my drumcorps budget by $1K+ to be on the side of the rules that *cough* doesn't affect me, and would "allow" me to be "competitive". Although those were always an option. I tried that a few years actually. But if the video is going to suck, the audience absent, the field in shambles, why bother. At least that entity has started to address ONE of those issues. And even without those issues, participation is still an IF, regardless of who with or where you participate.

If this were poker, I fold, too rich for my blood. And that IMO makes DCP relatively inconsequential. Lots of discussion about things unrelated to my region (+/- 100 miles). And very little related to my state (+/- 600 miles), which now has at least 4 all age (non-DCI / non-shriner) corps at the moment. Not too long ago only one. Unfortunately lines have been drawn and each is now on their own sheets as it were. Variety is the spice of life I suppose, but it'd be nice to actually have a drumcorps competition that I could participate in within 700 miles of where I live, without changing my base of operations by 200 miles. Until then, I guess that the DCP market place is of use to liquidate all of my drumcorps assets which I apparently don't have an immediate use for anymore.

sounds to me like your corps should have notified you before the public. as for what DCP failed to do...sounds like that is between you, your corps, and DCA

If it weren't for DCP, I probably wouldn't have known that my local corps called the season early and continued to go to the scheduled camps in vain. If it weren't for DCP I probably wouldn't know who was performing at DCA, until they stepped onto the field (and only if I had a program).

But then again DCP has failed to sell me on the plusses of certain rules and conditions. It has yet to motivate me to increase my annual travel by 10K miles and my drumcorps budget by $1K+ to be on the side of the rules that *cough* doesn't affect me, and would "allow" me to be "competitive". Although those were always an option. I tried that a few years actually. But if the video is going to suck, the audience absent, the field in shambles, why bother. At least that entity has started to address ONE of those issues. And even without those issues, participation is still an IF, regardless of who with or where you participate.

If this were poker, I fold, too rich for my blood. And that IMO makes DCP relatively inconsequential. Lots of discussion about things unrelated to my region (+/- 100 miles). And very little related to my state (+/- 600 miles), which now has at least 4 all age (non-DCI / non-shriner) corps at the moment. Not too long ago only one. Unfortunately lines have been drawn and each is now on their own sheets as it were. Variety is the spice of life I suppose, but it'd be nice to actually have a drumcorps competition that I could participate in within 700 miles of where I live, without changing my base of operations by 200 miles. Until then, I guess that the DCP market place is of use to liquidate all of my drumcorps assets which I apparently don't have an immediate use for anymore.

I'll repeat what I said earlier -- DCP's not only worthless and 'inconsequential" but part of some vast conspiracy to screw you out of any meaningful participation in drum corps (or whatever you want to call the activity since I'm sure you'll retort that it ain't drum corps anymore)? DCP stinks -- yet you are a very active participant. Weird, eh? But then again, it IS a free site that affords you the ability to post your conspiratorial rants in every possible forum except the one in which they belong -- the martyrdom or victim forum.

Oh well. I should know better than to read these posts. I swear I would crap myself if I read something positive you had to say.

Edited by luvscorps

:blink:

Somehow you always find the way to get your rant in ~ I'll give you an A for persistence and and F for content. Just because YOU are no longer involved in drum corps doesn't make DCp inconsequential. Many readers of DCp no longer participate in the activity as anything other than a reader or spectator.

But that's just it, I'm still involved (in a limited way) with drumcorps. I'm just not allowed to compete without investing even more into the activity than I desire to at the moment. And artifical circumstance, created by others. Something which effectively raises the co$t of competition by at least $1K per member per year (relative to my circumstance / region). If YOU think that THAT is going to foster GROWTH...??? Meanwhile IF I do meet those costs / expectations, I go knowing that 30+ of my local peers WON'T be going with me.

And spectator is all that some of us can afford, and even that is getting a bit steep. Nearest DCI show being 100+ miles from where I live. Nearest DCA show being 700+ miles from where I live. Various OTHER drumcorps shows being < 50 miles from where I live. Potentially 5 non-DCI, non-Shriner corps < 200 miles of me and all.

An artificial circumstance created by others. Let that sink in. I have got better things to do than rant. I shouldn't have to rant. All DCA has to do is scribble a number on a piece of paper. Too much to ask....... It didn't USED TO BE that way.

But that's just it, I'm still involved (in a limited way) with drumcorps. I'm just not allowed to compete without investing even more into the activity than I desire to at the moment. And artifical circumstance, created by others. Something which effectively raises the co$t of competition by at least $1K per member per year (relative to my circumstance / region). If YOU think that THAT is going to foster GROWTH...??? Meanwhile IF I do meet those costs / expectations, I go knowing that 30+ of my local peers WON'T be going with me.

And spectator is all that some of us can afford, and even that is getting a bit steep. Nearest DCI show being 100+ miles from where I live. Nearest DCA show being 700+ miles from where I live. Various OTHER drumcorps shows being < 50 miles from where I live. Potentially 5 non-DCI, non-Shriner corps < 200 miles of me and all.

An artificial circumstance created by others. Let that sink in. I have got better things to do than rant. I shouldn't have to rant. All DCA has to do is scribble a number on a piece of paper. Too much to ask....... It didn't USED TO BE that way.

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but life is a ##### and it is filled with tough choices.

Complaining about it here isn't going to change one thing.

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but life is a ##### and it is filled with tough choices.

Complaining about it here isn't going to change one thing.

Him....complain?

Noooooooooooooooo.

Just another broken down record player complaining about the same thing from 5 years ago.

And it USED TO BE there were NO competing All Age corps down your way. I've read the arguements pro and con about the minimum number rule and can understand both sides of the argument. But you make it sound like "If we could just compete at DCA things would be OK". Let's face it, every if your corps had enough members, corps management may decide not to spend the money to go. Been done by other corps and more power to them for taking the long term look at things.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

ok....so how is this DCP's fault Shadow? For the zillionth time, this is what DCA show sponsors asked DCA for. the corps that vote ( many of whom run shows) agreed. So, your issue being brought up here in the DCI forums has no bearing on this forum or this discussion. ( and DCI has a 30 member rule...you must really hate them too)

your issue is between you, your corps ability to recruit and DCA. DCP has no bearing on this....and, if anything DCP IS important on this, as a few people did agree with you and spoke up about it. Imagine if there were no DCP...you couldn't constantly roll out your tired argument, fail to look at issues you and your corps could control, and you wouldn't have had the limited public support you've gotten.

I was just about to ask how that was DCp's fault. I don't see how the comments relate to the thread. They aren't on point. But hey you still get that A for persistence and an F for content....

ok....so how is this DCP's fault Shadow? For the zillionth time, this is what DCA show sponsors asked DCA for. the corps that vote ( many of whom run shows) agreed. So, your issue being brought up here in the DCI forums has no bearing on this forum or this discussion. ( and DCI has a 30 member rule...you must really hate them too)

your issue is between you, your corps ability to recruit and DCA. DCP has no bearing on this....and, if anything DCP IS important on this, as a few people did agree with you and spoke up about it. Imagine if there were no DCP...you couldn't constantly roll out your tired argument, fail to look at issues you and your corps could control, and you wouldn't have had the limited public support you've gotten.

Is THAT what he is going on about?

Really?

Wow... this takes shoehorning a personal agenda into a completely unrelated topic to levels typically reserved for vocal amplification arguments