News From DCI Winter Meetings

Good point. Sometimes I wonder if people really think some of these things through before they propose them.

The point was raised, and summarily dismissed.

http://www.dci.org/rules/pdf/2008/08_sound...lementation.pdf

(See the section titled "Purpose")

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're worried about latency, it'll probably take much longer for the guy at the board to physically move his hand and push a button than for the signal to travel from the press box to the field.

so, it really won't help fix it much

Firstly, the sound-guy-in-the-box proposal should have been included in the original expansion of electronics rule from day one. The current proposal really just cleans up the ruling and putting an official stamp on something that was already going on to some extent, albeit informally. Anyone opposing this rule opposes good sound.

Second, I'm opposed to any raising of the age rule. There has to be a hard cut off in place, and June first is as good a place as any.

Thirdly, I hope any change in the judging rules includes moving the Jim Ott trophy to a judge in the box, or at least splitting the caption award in two, with half the award judged from the box. The current way of awarding it strictly from the field doesn't give a "Best Brass Line" award, it gives a "Best Collection of Brass Players on the Field" award.

same for percussion. you need a judge up and down for both

that

And the other thing.

ok so I was wrong. I knew he could be an angry poster ( who here cant be at times), but I didn't realize he was Taxi Driver angry.

oops.

sorry!

Angry?

Naw, you folks must have misconstrued my tone, think very dry and a bit snarky

Funny really, at first I was opposed to upping the age limit and then Alex made a point about ‘kids’ today being slower to mature, develop, more stunted. Then I backed up his point with some real life examples of my own – and many of you 20 something kids, through your replies to me, really drove home the point that today’s 23 year old is more akin to yesterdays 21 year old, or younger. I’ll now view 23 years olds as the children there are. So thanks for the wake up call kids, I will no longer consider 23 year olds as adults nor will I treat them as such.

That’s what you wanted right?

Now who wants cookies?

children, please stop reading here, I don’t want to hurt your feelings, you are too young to handle differing opinions, why don’t you go play Halo now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the adults -

As a side point to my comment on this generation and hiring…I was brought into work with a big, international company for a review of an outside analysis of their hiring practice. This Name-firm was the type of job adults in our day (kids today) just out of school would have jumped on. The firm generally had their pick from the top schools; this was pre-crash mind you, by a few months. The outside analysis said the firm was behind the curve because they didn’t have any marketing geared towards the parents of the potential new hires as they main rivals already had in place. We were told and some had noticed that the parents were so involved in their little dears’ lives that they too had to be sold on the company and the job offer. I guess it’s hard to land the helicopter, eh Mom and dad? Before the firm had time to enact anything of the sort, the crash hit, travel ban, followed by lay-offs and they stopped recruiting from the very top schools. The recruits just were not worth the extra money they commended as far as performance, social skills and work ethic. The newly hired from those top tier schools (mainly University of Chicago) we also the first let go and any thoughts of following the advice of marketing to the parents was thrown out the window. The crash changed the thinking and the hiring culture of that firm. And we were all happy abhout it

Edited by cowtown

Angry?

Funny really, at first I was opposed to upping the age limit and then Alex made a point about ‘kids’ today being slower to mature, develop, more stunted. Then I backed up his point with some real life examples of my own – and many of you 20 something kids, through your replies to me, really drove home the point that today’s 23 year old is more akin to yesterdays 21 year old, or younger. I’ll now view 23 years olds as the children there are. So thanks for the wake up call kids, I will no longer consider 23 year olds as adults nor will I treat them as such.

That’s what you wanted right?

Now who wants cookies?

children, please stop reading here, I don’t want to hurt your feelings, you are too young to handle differing opinions, why don’t you go play Halo now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the adults -

As a side point to my comment on this generation and hiring…I was brought into work with a big, international company for a review of an outside analysis of their hiring practice. This Name-firm was the type of job adults in our day (kids today) just out of school would have jumped on. The firm generally had their pick from the top schools; this was pre-crash mind you, by a few months. The outside analysis said the firm was behind the curve because they didn’t have any marketing geared towards the parents of the potential new hires as they main rivals already had in place. We were told and some had noticed that the parents were so involved in their little dears’ lives that they too had to be sold on the company and the job offer. I guess it’s hard to land the helicopter, eh Mom and dad? Before the firm had time to enact anything of the sort, the crash hit, travel ban, followed by lay-offs and they stopped recruiting from the very top schools. The recruits just were not worth the extra money they commended as far as performance, social skills and work ethic. The newly hired from those top tier schools (mainly University of Chicago) we also the first let go and any thoughts of following the advice of marketing to the parents was thrown out the window. The crash changed the thinking and the hiring culture of that firm. And we were all happy abhout it

You know, if you spoke to 'kids' like you spoke to 'adults', you would have a lot less 'kids' mad at you. Perhaps you lack the class to do so, but I think you'll find that most of the people you put down werent really offended by what you said, but how you said it. Particularly, your use of current drum corps members as an example of 'soft' and 'immature' due to the conditions they march under, and they stadium they now hold finals in was off-base and pointless. But what do I know about kids, i'm not one, even by your definition.

You know, if you spoke to 'kids' like you spoke to 'adults', you would have a lot less 'kids' mad at you. Perhaps you lack the class to do so, but I think you'll find that most of the people you put down werent really offended by what you said, but how you said it. Particularly, your use of current drum corps members as an example of 'soft' and 'immature' due to the conditions they march under, and they stadium they now hold finals in was off-base and pointless. But what do I know about kids, i'm not one, even by your definition.

So we’re cool again?

Orasum !!!

I feel the love - now lets sing this together

You were a child

Crawling on your knees toward it

Making momma so proud,

But your voice is too loud

We like to watch you laughing,

You pick the insects off plants

No time to think of consequences

Angry?

Funny really, at first I was opposed to upping the age limit and then Alex made a point about 'kids' today being slower to mature, develop, more stunted. Then I backed up his point with some real life examples of my own – and many of you 20 something kids, through your replies to me, really drove home the point that today's 23 year old is more akin to yesterdays 21 year old, or younger. I'll now view 23 years olds as the children there are. So thanks for the wake up call kids, I will no longer consider 23 year olds as adults nor will I treat them as such.

That's what you wanted right?

Now who wants cookies?

children, please stop reading here, I don't want to hurt your feelings, you are too young to handle differing opinions, why don't you go play Halo now?

To the adults -

As a side point to my comment on this generation and hiring…I was brought into work with a big, international company for a review of an outside analysis of their hiring practice. This Name-firm was the type of job adults in our day (kids today) just out of school would have jumped on. The firm generally had their pick from the top schools; this was pre-crash mind you, by a few months. The outside analysis said the firm was behind the curve because they didn't have any marketing geared towards the parents of the potential new hires as they main rivals already had in place. We were told and some had noticed that the parents were so involved in their little dears' lives that they too had to be sold on the company and the job offer. I guess it's hard to land the helicopter, eh Mom and dad? Before the firm had time to enact anything of the sort, the crash hit, travel ban, followed by lay-offs and they stopped recruiting from the very top schools. The recruits just were not worth the extra money they commended as far as performance, social skills and work ethic. The newly hired from those top tier schools (mainly University of Chicago) we also the first let go and any thoughts of following the advice of marketing to the parents was thrown out the window. The crash changed the thinking and the hiring culture of that firm. And we were all happy abhout it

in the dictionary, under how to win friends and influence people...

yeah this won't be in there

:tongue:

in the dictionary, under how to win friends and influence people...

yeah this won't be in there

:tongue:

But again, had the adult section been written in the first place, rather then the not-so-thinly veiled insults, we'd not be having this conversation...which suggests the ever so obvious theory - if you want late teens / 20somethings to act like adults, treat them like adults. If that means firing them for poor performance, or whatever, so be it

Edited by salad315