News From DCI Winter Meetings

This is but one reason that I hope the Scouts are wildly successful this year...so people can say "whaaaat?? You mean you don't have to be esoteric and artsy to be successful? The crowd actually LIKES melodies that last more than 4 bars??"

What does the above post have to do with the 2010 rules proposals ????

AGE limit ???

Sound guy ???

nothing !

just another shameless plug?

:wall::doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :inlove::wall:

Bad form.

Edited by FanofNight

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean to tell me that if a rule is passed by the DCI member corps, it will be a rule that specifically benefits DCI member corps? Shocking to find that out...

At least you have one sentence that seems to be legit: DCI board members know what they are doing.

and they're hurting the activity as a whole

I find this thread absolutely amazing when reading about extending the age limit. Junior Drum Corps was organized to give young people (14-21) an opportunity to march. DCA is for adults. It's amazing to me that people believe that DCI is for music majors in college exclusively. If DCI and drum corps fans would wake up and remember why we have drum corps, many of these discussions would only be academic.

Ed, have you read any of my threads? What is your take?

Ron Gunn

Just to give you an idea of "one of those weak kids."

I am still in my undergrad. I failed out of my first college. Not because I couldn't hack it, but because I mentally wasn't ready to handle post-secondary education. I've held a job since I was 16. Even now I work almost full time in retail, I also have a business on the side, I'm a full time music education major, I serve as recruiting chair for my corps, I've worked with a local color guard, I'm marching...

I'm 24, I don't care either way whether this passes, but to see you call my fellow marchers weak? I take offense to that. I find many of the kids that march these days have it harder in ways that kids your day didn't have. It's a different mindset, a different demographic. I bet the people you see coming off @ finals are just as tan as the ones you remember back in the day. Sure, they don't deal with wool uniforms, or inspection, but I don't remember seeing videos of corps moving at 180 bpm or better until the last 15 years.

We know better these days about heat stroke, exhaustion, and hydration. It's how they can handle the tempo of these shows they put on now without dying by July. They're better conditioned, that's all. They don't have it "made." Staffs now know how to deal with it.

The 1982 and 1983 Garfiled Cadets moved pretty fast!

Dinosaur?

Moi?

Whatever

I know more about the kids today than you do from my day....oh yes I do

so you blame the school system that keeps them there longer then go on to say most students switch majors at least once

that's a good example of the kids today and their attitude – it’s not my fault it’s the system…..Yep, that entitled, its never my fault except when it is but it not really my fault even then….kids today have very little accountability and avoid taking responsibility for their actions, like switching their major keeps them in longer…not the system but go ahead, rage against the system, man !!!

and seeing that I often interview, hire and train "kids "(23 year old recent graduates)….I have a good take on the current generations work ethics, sense of entitlement, problem solving and skills in general which is why I try to hire folks not of their generation when possible – this current generation is really a disappointment in the business world and that’s not just my opinion - its pretty much industry wide. You know how much hand holding mid-mangement has to do now, and all the daily affirmations of praise and reward or the constant supervision or their in-ability to work alone, not on a team?

Let's take a moment and try to remember that we live in America and we have the right to voice our opinions in a civilized manner.

Ron Gunn

I couldn't finish reading the thread....

okay... now that I just deleted a whole rant personally insulting a few people in thread for their downright ignorance and stupidity.

I would love for my age out year to be 2011. (With the current proposal, would I still be able to march? 2010 is my current age out). Right now... I'm in a tough financial situation. Instead of doing my original plan of marching a year.. taking off to recover, then ageing out, I decided to march last year.. because I "NEEDED" to march. well... now I can't march my ageout.. if I could take this year off... and march the next year as my age out that would be awesome.

I JUST WANT TO AGE OUT... I want to go through the emotions... I want to officially end my drum corps career. I want to go through all the ceremonies or whatever. Right now.. my chance at marching this year is very slim. If they extended the age out, then I wouldn't have a problem taking off this year.

Not the biggest dilema.. but it would make me happy.

OH... and what is the big ####### deal ANYWAY. 22 year olds already march. There really isn't much difference here... we are talking less than a half a year difference here folks. Stop making it out to be the bigger deal than it really is.

Do didn't force your daughter to march drum corps? What kind of a parent are you? :wall:

:wall:

Actually she would have liked it..she was a bass drummer in HS MB ad then snare with two years as DM. :inlove:

My wife doesn't care for it, so it would have been WW III if had suggested it.

so...sound engineer in the box..is just talking by phone, or will wires be running up the aisle too?

the proposal is scary vague

From what I read, the proposal only suggests allowing a corps representative in the press box....the sound engineer and mixing board must still be down at field level.

Frankly, they should put the #### speakers in the press box....that would solve several problems, IMO.

From what I read, the proposal only suggests allowing a corps representative in the press box....the sound engineer and mixing board must still be down at field level.

Frankly, they should put the #### speakers in the press box....that would solve several problems, IMO.

Better yet, put the speakers in the press box, then make the press box soundproof. That way, those of us sitting in the aisles won't hear what is going over the speakers.