californian marching bands?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're on the subject, does anyone know the year that USC burned "USC" into the grass at the UCLA stadium? I remember hearing about this years ago. Apparently there was an LA Marching Band tournament, and it was at UCLA's stadium, co-hosted by UCLA's Marching Band and USC's Marching Band. Both bands played their halftime show as exhibition at the end of the competition. USC's band, probably during the fight song, formed "USC" on the field, and right when they did, every member dropped a small packet of chlorine, burning the grass at their feet. Thus, when they marched off the field, "USC" was burned into UCLA's stadium.

Does anyone know more details, or even if this story is true?

You got them mixed up. When Gordon first got to UCLA he was able to obtain permission from the higher ups at The Colosseum (back when both schools played there) to pull the prank. When UCLA went into the script UCLA that they do at the end of their pregame show, all of the band's members pulled open some bleach packets that they had attached to their ankles and voila! the letters U-C-L-A were bleached into the field for not only that game, but a few afterwards. USC was not happy about it, but no one at UCLA got into trouble because he had permission.

I absolutely love Stanford's band. Their tribute to the Irish Potato Famine at Notre Dame and Tribute to the OJ Jury Selection Process at USC are priceless. And this coming from a Notre Dame alum.

It would be nice if they learned how to tune though...

You got them mixed up. When Gordon first got to UCLA he was able to obtain permission from the higher ups at The Colosseum (back when both schools played there) to pull the prank. When UCLA went into the script UCLA that they do at the end of their pregame show, all of the band's members pulled open some bleach packets that they had attached to their ankles and voila! the letters U-C-L-A were bleached into the field for not only that game, but a few afterwards. USC was not happy about it, but no one at UCLA got into trouble because he had permission.

Well, I was kind of close. That's one hell of a prank!

I absolutely love Stanford's band. Their tribute to the Irish Potato Famine at Notre Dame and Tribute to the OJ Jury Selection Process at USC are priceless. And this coming from a Notre Dame alum.

A band director I used to work with is a Stanford band alum. He described one of their shows as a "Contraceptive" show, complete with a bucket of milk.

Heh. I don't want to be "that guy," but don't go to a particular college just for it's marching band or it's location near a corps/band. Find a college or university that fits you first, then worry about the marching stuff. You don't want to spend 4 years and thousands of dollars at a school that you don't enjoy.

That being said, I don't think you'll struggle to find a place to march. CA has 8 Open Class corps and 3 World Class corps.

That being said, I don't think you'll struggle to find a place to march. CA has 8 Open Class corps and 3 World Class corps.

4 World Class corps. Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard. California is rockin' the drum corps scene!

For those late in on the conversation, and no offence intended, I'm visiting for a year so drum corps is priority.

4 World Class corps. Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard. California is rockin' the drum corps scene!

Don't forget the All-Age corps out on the left coast too. Not as busy as the Jrs but they are still there.