Pre-Season Hype...

This year seems to be a little tamer than usual about pre-season hype. So I thought it would be fun to list the best pre-season hype comments of the past...

My favorite from last year prior to their first performance "Phantoms show is so moving many were brought to tears." I believe this was said right after their first dress rehearsal.

Looking back the show did bring tears so I guess they were accurate.

Here's hoping for a redemptive show this year!

Practically anything to be said about Madison was mentioned after they announced their new staff in the fall. About the only thing nobody predicted is that they would walk on water (guess that would have to have been if they brought back Jesus Christ Superstar). Not trash talking, I am looking forward to seeing what they bring to the table this year and the camp video linked from DCP a few weeks back was interesting and they sounded good. I will go out on a limb and predict that none of the quarters, semis or finals performances will be affected by the weather.

I will go out on a limb and predict that none of the quarters, semis or finals performances will be affected by the weather.

That's a pretty safe bet. But I was in the GA Dome a few years ago when the storm drain broke just before Crown's performance and flooded an entire section (looked like white water rapids in the upper deck). Caused an hour rain delay. Indoors. Maybe people that are hating on the Oil Can right now can hope for a little similar action in Indy next year.

Looking back the show did bring tears so I guess they were accurate.

OH, SNAP

I'd say pretty much every Madison thread since I started reading DCP...

Only comment that comes to mind was last year, after Scouts posted a video of the brass playing an encore piece played in arc, at least one person predicted top 6 for the whole corps.

I remember in 2006 that George Dixon said that Cadets brass was even better that the year before after seeing us in Gettysburg. Unfortunately for us, that didn't pan out. Also, Hop predicted scoring near 80 for our first show that year...

Then again, some pre-season hype can be pretty spot-on...I guess everything is right some of the time. Case in point: 2009 Crown. They posted that standstill video of their show music from spring training, and a lot of people deemed both the rep and the corps "epic" and "sick." The general consensus was that, while not perfect, '09 Crown was pretty "epic" and "sick."

My last comment about posting pre-season hype in another thread may have come out with an unintended sounding "scolding" (as was mentioned in some fashion by someone...) to it, but I was really only expressing my OPINION. I stick by my opinion, however, and will say here that while pre-season hype is fine and all... and certainly to be expected, in a forum like this giving out too much information on what was worked on specifically at a camp or what was played or practiced and how it was played or practiced ... and giving out too many details on show content that should be kept "under wraps" until it is actually taken on the field... always lends itself to far too much opinion and crticism before it has even been given a chance to be peformed. Opinion and pre-concieved notions of shows are already formed and out there before the corps has had a chance to enter the field for the first time that competitive year, and that is not fair to the corps or to the performers. Here in a forum like DCP, it is clearly evident that a "not-so-much fan" of any corps can take pre-season hype and twist and turn it all into both cleverly disguised and outright blatant bashing, that inevitably starts a flame war or even worse. And that's just bad all the way around.

The bottom line of anything like that would ultimately be how well the performers actually perform it, irregardless of how much pre-season hype is out there. No one can deny a well performed show, even if they don't care for the content or the corps.

But all I'm saying is that perhaps the usual pre-season hype is subdued this year specifically because most corps have learned (some painfully...) how damaging over-stating progress can be, and how even well intended communication of observations made at camps or rehearsals can come back to bite a corps in the ### if communicated with too much fluff added on.

Edited by GGarrett

OH, SNAP

I'd say pretty much every Madison thread since I started reading DCP...

Only comment that comes to mind was last year, after Scouts posted a video of the brass playing an encore piece played in arc, at least one person predicted top 6 for the whole corps.

I remember in 2006 that George Dixon said that Cadets brass was even better that the year before after seeing us in Gettysburg. Unfortunately for us, that didn't pan out. Also, Hop predicted scoring near 80 for our first show that year...

Then again, some pre-season hype can be pretty spot-on...I guess everything is right some of the time. Case in point: 2009 Crown. They posted that standstill video of their show music from spring training, and a lot of people deemed both the rep and the corps "epic" and "sick." The general consensus was that, while not perfect, '09 Crown was pretty "epic" and "sick."

Yeah, pretty much everyone though 2006 was going to actually improve on 2005. Looking back on that corps, im not sure how we were that stupid :laughing: . I was one of 4 vets in my section of 20 at one point (it later got upped to 6 due to injury and stuff)....

Edited by euponitone

Anything ever said by Scouts honks has always been comedic gold in my book.

Esp now that it is the whole "my corps is putting a show on the field this year" bit.

Same goes for Crown.

Anything ever said by Scouts honks has always been comedic gold in my book.

Esp now that it is the whole "my corps is putting a show on the field this year" bit.

Same goes for Crown.

The best part about the Scouts hype is when you and a few others ALWAYS chime in attempting to cause heartache

to Scouts fans. My guess is that you have a big chip on your shoulder - maybe got cut by the Scouts cause you didn't

have the chops? :laughing: