Rules day III

Today when DCI makes a rule change, the top 4-5 corps have already planned ahead to adapt to those changes so if the rules go into effect, they will be already ahead of the game.

And meanwhile, the other 18 are still trying to catch up to all the new rules from about 2 or 3 seasons back.

Notice it's almost always Gibbs, Hop and Fielder (when he was with Cavies) who are submitting the majority of these changes each year. I've seen Greg Orwoll drop one here and there, but for the most part it's been the same 3 guys trying to tell every other corps how to play the game.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have not heard a good rule proposal yet for 2010.

ALL Are BAD and NOT worth the change.

age limit = youth activity . come on 23 ? NO.

SOUND GUY IN BOX. for SOUND CHECK MAYBE , relaying info from the box to the field while the corps is performing.. NO.

Pre show with any instruments .. NO why ???

warm up time , not really a change here. 5 minutes . If any pass maybe this one but not a big deal. corps rarely get penalties anymore. MAYBE

Field visual should stay different. technique and such is important. NO

Percussion judge in box..If all shows were outside yes, but indoor shows you can hear nothing. NO

overall effect -takes the emphasis away from music. its a visual world all ready NO

7 judging system -taking away field visual , you casn judge technique from the box ?? and 40 points for GE , 30 for ensemble , and only 30 for performance -- NO

what about

40 for GE 20 MUSIC ,20 VISUAL

20 FOR ENSEMBLE 10 FOR MUSIC 10 FOR VISUAL

40 FOR PERFORMANCE 10 FOR GUARD 10 FOR BRASS 10 FOR PERCUSSION 10 FOR FIELD VISUAL

THIS WAY

GUARD RESPONSIBILITIES 40 POINTS - 20 GE VISUAL , 10 ENSEMBLE VISUAL , 10 FIELD VISUAL

MARCHING PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITIES 40 POINTS - 20 GE VISUAL , 10 ENSEMBLE VISUAL , 10 FIELD VISUAL

PERCUSSION SECTION RESPONSIBILITIES 40 POINTS - 2O GE MUSIC , 10 ENSEMBLE MUSIC , 10 FIELD PERCUSSION

BRASS SECTION RESPONSIBILITIES 40 POINTS - 20 GE MUSIC , 10 ENSEMBLE MUSIC , 10- FIELD BRASS

40 for GE / 40 for performance

This is how it is now.

If you take the percussion , visual and Brass judges off the field. in box .

enemble could come from them.

you cold go with a 6 panel.

20 ge music

20 ge visual

15 brass

15 percussion

15 guard

15 visual

Edited by FanofNight

I am 100% for getting the perc judge off the field.

This is waaay overdue, as judges roaming the field and being distracting is out of date with the modern fast paced movement of drum corps and should have gone out with the tick system.

Field visual sheet - I don't know why anyone would object to this one.

Percussion Judge - honestly, I'm okay with this. "but he might miss some dirt in a line" So? You think he's catching it all right now running for his life, chasing lines that split their sections across the entire field? 6 of one, 1/2 doz. of the other, I feel.

I like the judge in the stands idea...it makes the caption more of a bet 'percussion' caption than just a 'drummy' caption. Balance and blend and playing in support of the brass...I like it.

Overall Effect - another one I'm in favor of. We've talked on here in years past about how Music GE is influenced by visual and vice versa - let's just acknowledge and evaluate the total impact of a corps' production.

Theory...it's good. In practice...not so good. USSBA does the Overall Effect thing, and none of the staffs I have spoken with really think it worked very well. One side or the other always gets the short end of the stick, depending on the judge's specialty.

While I normally don't buy into conspiracy theories in this activity, moving the percussion judge to the box is a crazy coincidence coming just five months after the percussion judge killed Cadets' over-all placement.

Doug,

USSBA has had the percussion judge in the box for years, so I don't think it was related to last year's fall. I like the idea, having experienced it dozens of times in the circuit. The Effect thing...not as much!

If you're saying that they all changed the "game", I agree with you 100%. The big difference to me is, they all changed the game by playing by the rules already in place. Not by making new ones.

Well, SOMEONE decided to let corps start on the back sideline...the on the field...and end on the field. Someone passed a rule permitting mallets..and grounding of the pit...eliminating ticks...etc...

This is waaay overdue, as judges roaming the field and being distracting is out of date with the modern fast paced movement of drum corps and should have gone out with the tick system.

So the percussion would get judged on what the pit does. and how cleanly the battery plays FFF 8th notes.

You can't hear gradations of cleanliness in snares and tenors from 150 feet away - all you can get is big picture stuff. Lots of tenor drum phrases sound clean from a distance, but if your ear isn't there to hear the attack on the head, you'll never know if it's REALLY clean, or just "clean enough so that it's not obviously fluffy."

If you're saying that they all changed the "game", I agree with you 100%. The big difference to me is, they all changed the game by playing by the rules already in place. Not by making new ones.

that's not correct.

You can judge how effectively a drum book is written from the box. You can judge how well they balance they horns.

But you can't possibly get a feel for how consistent the individual and ensemble technique is from the same distance. Let's call a hippo a hippo - half of the snare line book is unreadable from upstairs right now anyway, as modern snares simply don't project well at volumes of mezzo or below. So what the hell is the judge going to use to evaluate their ability to play - their stick heights?

Why not pass two rules;

1. If it was presented last time and failed, it should be off the table until TWO rules congresses hence, and

2. Change the rules congress to being a once every 3 years event. No credible sport has a policy of totally revamping their rules from one year to the next.

well, in the dome, i guess best echo from a rim shot is what wins

When there 150 people running all over the place on a field, is one extra guy in a green shirt really that distracting?

Besides, watching the judge scurry around like he's trapped in a game of Frogger can be pretty amusing during those "less-than-captivating" shows.