DCI Direct, part dos

sound wise, it seems Atlanta gets more complaints than San Antonio if what I read here is right.

problem with Allentown is it doesnt hold as many fans as the 2 other domes do

Any finals or regional site is going to be one of compromises. In the case of Indy, DCI made the decision based on the factors in Bob's article, and it had to be made at the expense of optimal sound quality. It's my belief that DCI made the right call, and that working to fix the sound situation is probably far easier than the alternative. At least, let's hope so.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any finals or regional site is going to be one of compromises. In the case of Indy, DCI made the decision based on the factors in Bob's article, and it had to be made at the expense of optimal sound quality. It's my belief that DCI made the right call, and that working to fix the sound situation is probably far easier than the alternative. At least, let's hope so.

let's hope so. i know I walk into LOS with serious reservations

This seems ridiculous. Sound quality should be the very LAST thing compromised at an event such as Finals.

Give me hotels 50 miles away, bad traffic, bad neighbourhood, boring city, too hot, too cold, might rain, but for the love of god don't think for one second that any location is so superior in any other ways such that SOUND QUALITY can be compromised at the world championships of a MUSICAL ACTIVITY.

Heads. You know where. Please remove.

. . .that's what I took away from this as well.

However, it's difficult to reconcile, how, in an activity where we enjoy the marriage of visual and musical . . .that we could let one part of that equation suffer just to get a few perks from the host city over the next decade.

Granted, these are good things that Indy is doing outside of the performances themselves; but, when you look at what happened to DCI the last time they decided on a long term hosting city (Orlando), the numbers were progressively worse each year, and in an area that had more outside interests that Indianapolis does. . . .and that was with no sound quality issues.

. . .what happens if that sound quality isn't dramatically improved, and people start staying away in 2011, 2012, etc, giving us attendance numbers in the 12,000-13,000 range like Orlando? Or lower?

I just see this as an "all in" that has precedent of sorts in Orlando, that, if it fails . . .well, that would suck.

Give me hotels 50 miles away, bad traffic, bad neighbourhood, boring city, too hot, too cold, might rain, but for the love of god don't think for one second that any location is so superior in any other ways such that SOUND QUALITY can be compromised at the world championships of a MUSICAL ACTIVITY...

I share your concern about the sound. In fairness to DCI, however, it seems the Indy option wasn't so much about amenities, climate or neighborhood as it was about a package of incentives, mostly financial. Stadium fees, housing fees (and availability), staff expenses all added up to persuasive savings for an organization that likely has to sweat its payables most of the time.

I'm not sure how to feel about all this. I had an absolutely miserable seat at LOS. Not only was I behind an actual sound barrier (a plexiglass shield covering the balcony aisle) but I had to peer around a black, horizontal handrail that was like some censor's pen across the shows. I was fortune to find "alternate" seating all three nights. Not that that's a panacea. I kept expecting the real ticketholder to arrive just in time to make me miss a favorite performance.

It's an unhappy compromise for DCI and its fans. It is. I wish I had a better suggestion. I don't.

HH

. . .what happens if that sound quality isn't dramatically improved, and people start staying away in 2011, 2012, etc, giving us attendance numbers in the 12,000-13,000 range like Orlando? Or lower?

I think DCI and Jacobs might answer that question by saying it depends on what happens at the regionals and other DCI sponsored events.

Not that they want empty seats in Indy. But the prime goal is to assure a stable, financially sustainable organization. That's how I read it. One way to accomplish that is to reduce the expense associated with its biggest event. Another is to derive revenue from multiple sources, not just one. So if costs are down and everyone who doesn't buy a ticket in Indy in future years buys one instead at some other DCI show, they are achieving their goals.

HH

. . .that's what I took away from this as well.

However, it's difficult to reconcile, how, in an activity where we enjoy the marriage of visual and musical . . .that we could let one part of that equation suffer just to get a few perks from the host city over the next decade.

Granted, these are good things that Indy is doing outside of the performances themselves; but, when you look at what happened to DCI the last time they decided on a long term hosting city (Orlando), the numbers were progressively worse each year, and in an area that had more outside interests that Indianapolis does. . . .and that was with no sound quality issues.

I just see this as an "all in" that has precedent of sorts in Orlando, that, if it fails . . .well, that would suck.

and it took DCI a few years to rebound from Orlando too.

I think DCI and Jacobs might answer that question by saying it depends on what happens at the regionals and other DCI sponsored events.

Not that they want empty seats in Indy. But the prime goal is to assure a stable, financially sustainable organization. That's how I read it. One way to accomplish that is to reduce the expense associated with its biggest event. Another is to derive revenue from multiple sources, not just one. So if costs are down and everyone who doesn't buy a ticket in Indy in future years buys one instead at some other DCI show, they are achieving their goals.

HH

but...not really. regional pricing, for now, is not what finals is.

$125 x 30,000 fans in Indy = $3,750,000

$50 x 20,000 fans in Atlanta and San Antonio + the 11 or so Allentown can hold = $2,550,000

since those 3 regionals pretty much get those numbers now, that's $6,300,000 ( minus operating expenses.

now say Indy only gets 10kfans....that's a loss of $2.5 million.

that's not a good trade off

Dear Cowtown,

Seeing as you lob poorly intended grenades at the DCI rep and obliquely refer to yourself as an "industry expert", how about some transparency dude?

We know who wrote the article you attempt to pick apart and from where he stands.

Who the hell are you? What's the basis for your sniping?

Come on bud, if you can't sell the bridge, you can always jump off it. (metaphorically speaking, of course)

I think that is a fair question and one I almost answered before but I like my privacy so edited it out of my prior responses because with too many specific and a good search engine, I could be pegged

And I’ll point out that you have no transparency to me as I don’t know or really care who you are. But there are a few on this board that do know me, just not you. So to be clear, this is not meant to be about me, even thoguh it will be or ‘transparency’ but to qualify my opinions regarding this matter

I don't lob grenades at DCI for the mere sport, I just don't like what I'm seeing from them these past few years.

I have worked with the Chicago Convention and tourism bureau (as well as others in different cities – my reach is over 35 nations). I have also worked with and on many of those fluffy, nice sounding committees like the ones listed in that article. Often used terms like ‘City outreach’ , had a meeting, hosted a lunch at the Union League Club, invited a few business leaders that we knew would show up to any free lunch with a bar and called it 'a networking event with the local business community'. And that's about it. Most of the ones I have been on were pretty worthless, more for show and put together by sales teams to impress clients, about the best they can do is provide opportunities (introductions) but don’t really guarantee results. That was my point about asking for specific, measurable results and past performance of all these committees. Why are those committees unique to Indy if they are so important, shouldn’t they have been a part of all Finals or at least the ones like Orlando and Madison where DCI has been at least 4 times or more?

I have rented and worked with some pretty large arenas too – I use to work for *** Production (kind of like Clear Channel in its day) until that incident at a Kiss show in Peoria followed by a Dead Show at the World that fouled my tastes for that side of the music industry. Yep, we put on big rock shows around the mid-west

I did see a job listing for DCI a few years back that I was very well suited for but I like where I am now, dealing with high end clients - I tend to think it would have been a step backwards for me

when I read the Bob article my thoughts were, is he just repeating the spiel of the convention bureau and he believes this or was this DCI's fluff? So much of the detail stuff is pure shystering, just filling space with text.

The meat of the article is really the change in attitude from DCI that it’s not all about finals which I have mixed feelings about. Generally, I don’t think the 2 other domes and Allentown can make up for the Indy dome. I know that if I’m not going to finals (and as of now I have no plans to attend), that I’m not going to be as involved in the season or go to as many shows. Finals is the climax of the season and without that payoff, I won’t be involved with the build up either. Going to finals gets me to other shows as I like to prep and build towards finals. Now, I'll keep rather distant so I don't feel like I'm missing anything by missing finals

But enough about me

a question cowtown, given your experience:

what proof would you like to see in terms of specifics? not questioning your experience at all, just curious