DCI Direct, part dos

Agreed.

And honestly, at some of the old Eastern States local circuit shows in the 1970s, with some not-so-stellar lineups ... well.... sitting between the 40s sucked, too. :smile:

From a show staffer's perspective, having worked at DCA's title show since 1983......it is soooooo much easier/better being at the same venue for more than one year. You get to know the stadium personnel better, know the stadium better, and work out any glitches from the first year at a given venue.

And "working out any glitches," from a show staff standpoint, often means a better experience for the corps and the fans.

Fran

and if DCA went to a dome?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2006, I wish we had.

Rochester in 2006 made Jackson in 93 look like a spring shower.

Garry in Vegas

I'm interested to know what exactly corps will do if high schools become unavailable. I mean housing sites would be hard enough to find, and after that, with all the high school football fields off limits, where would corps practice? I think if anything would threaten to kill off this activity, it would be the housing factor.

as it is, with $125 seats for the 20, they've already alienated many
They certainly have alienated Joe-Q fan, however World Class DCI in it's current incarnation is essentially an elitist activity. Any late HS/College child who can afford to forgo a summer job and pay in excess of $3,000 for tour fees (not including peripheral expenses) and their immediate friends/family, likely can afford the expense.

In 2006, I wish we had.

I agree.

Fran

I'm interested to know what exactly corps will do if high schools become unavailable. I mean housing sites would be hard enough to find, and after that, with all the high school football fields off limits, where would corps practice? I think if anything would threaten to kill off this activity, it would be the housing factor.

find as many colleges that arent in session I would imagine

They certainly have alienated Joe-Q fan, however World Class DCI in it's current incarnation is essentially an elitist activity. Any late HS/College child who can afford to forgo a summer job and pay in excess of $3,000 for tour fees (not including peripheral expenses) and their immediate friends/family, likely can afford the expense.

true. but sometimes 30,00 paying a little less per customer can bring you more $$$ than 15,000 paying what they do now

I'll just repeat the post I made earlier in the thread:

Corps themselves have to get more creative in looking for housing. Just as bingo is no longer the one-stop shop for corps financing, neither are high schools the only place you can hold camps or find housing. Blue Stars has found a fabulous sight for its winter camps that never has conflicts with basketball games, band camps, debate meets, etc. It has food prep facilities, great sleeping facilities for staff and volunteers, showers, and tons of room for rehearsals. AND it is not a school. No fighting with the administration, school board, athletic director, or the locals.

http://www.bluestars.org/membership/schedule.php

true. but sometimes 30,00 paying a little less per customer can bring you more $$$ than 15,000 paying what they do now
True dat, however as much as WE may love the activity, I seriously doubt you will find 30,000 fannies to fill the seats. Unless perhaps they GIVE the tickets away....