DCI Direct, part dos

It's already kind of gotten like that to me.

it is getting there for me as well, but...my favorite show from 2009 worked inside and outside.

it all depends on the arrangement ( and less low end synth patch at the big push)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, thanks to Mr. Jacobs for the article, I found it an interesting read, and it does an excellent job of putting together in one place the host of challenges that are faced in putting on this type of event.

Having said that, I also am seeing more and more inferences to Indy as the "permanent" home of DCI, not just the offices, but the finals as well. I don't see this as a 10-year deal, I see it as a perpetual one. Comments such as looking at attendance from a summer-long rather than one-event viewpoint, while quite logical and good business, also provides an "out" if (and, IMO, when) attendance at Indy drops. By out, I mean something like "yes, we realize that finals attendance is down, but the overall attendance is up/steady, so it's ok".

This I feel cheapens the experience for the kids. Back in the day (yeah, I know, dinosaur time) I played for all manner and size of crowd, but I knew that, come that last weekend, there would be the largest, most rabid audience for my performance. After becoming a fan, I would often attend early season shows, but not always Finals, secure in the knowledge that I could always order the CDs/Videos/DVDs at the end of the year to immortalize the performances.

I think that, without trying to sound negative, you have the possibility that the World Championships may not even be the highest attended show of the year, which could be a pretty big letdown for the performers. Additionally, you may see that the audience shifts from true fans of the activity to the mom & pop group, akin to a BOA crowd. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but these fans tend to cheer more vociferously for "their" groups, and, at best, politely applaud for any competing units. So again, what should be the penultimate experience for the performer could be diluted a bit.

Finally, from a fan standpoint, I agree with most in that we have an activity that is based on the visual and the musical. To even consider compromise on half of the product is somewhat shocking, although I fully understand the points raised by Mr. Jacobs. At the end of the day, I certainly want the activity to continue, and if a permanent relationship with Indy is the only way for this to happen, then it is what it is. I only hope that, as fans, perhaps we will always have the option to purchase Allentown (or whatever is the last major OUTDOOR regional) as APDs or whatnot, should the Finals audio not be to our liking.

p.s. Although many may take exception to what Cowtown has to say, I have to say that a) he raises some very valid points, even if his delivery may ruffle some feathers and b) he is entitled to have opinions and to share them here, just as much as anyone else, unless he violates the TOS of the site.

Not just a let down for the performers, but the fans as well. Less bodies in that stadium will just degrade the quality of sound even further. No doubt, some will put up with it no matter what, but there probably comes a point when most fans just say enough, and start seeking out other venues to get their drum corps fix.

Nobody has mentioned the possible effect on Corps show plannng in the off season, now that they know that the Finals will continue to be in domed stadiums where fans ( and judges ) ability to hear shows properly will be somewhat compromised. Since the VISUAL portion of shows will not be compromised as a result of a domed stadium, it will likely result that Corps with strong VISUAL shows and strong Guards will continue to have an edge, once Finals Week rolls around.

I disagree, both with this premise and with the inference that there has been an advantage in the past.

To make a long story short, we have had cases over the past decade where one corps has broken away from the pack with a markedly superior visual program, and won many contests as a result. It happened because they were that good....not because a few of the shows were indoors. (Note that they won contests outdoors too.)

Not just a let down for the performers, but the fans as well. Less bodies in that stadium will just degrade the quality of sound even further. No doubt, some will put up with it no matter what, but there probably comes a point when most fans just say enough, and start seeking out other venues to get their drum corps fix.

imagine if they held the Super Bowl and only 10,000 fans showed up.

or the Yankees had home field advantage in the playoffs and they averaged 10,000 fans a game.

yet the Yankees went to Boston 3 weeks before and played before an SRO crowd.

that's a possibility with the LOS deal. I can pretty much expect if Allentown could hold 25,000 fans, they'd get that size crowd. In fact, it makes me worried that Allentown will be replaced by a dome

"it makes me worried that Allentown will be replaced by a dome."

Hi, Jeff!

Interesting prediction. If we assume DCI-sponsored events, like Allentown, are increasingly headed for "somewhat" ideal conditions, conditions NOT dependent on weather, outside sound influences, have enough voltage, permit unique lighting/smoke special effects, expensive (easily damaged) costumes etc., I believe you are correct.

There's a reason why Ringling Brothers circus is now held indoors.

Seems to me, the elite of DCI is striving to provide a "spectacle." A spectacle similar to Blast! and comparable to high-end rock concerts. Most likely, a spectacle MOST suitable to live TV and audio/video post production. You know, the elite of DCI is probably right to pursue that vision. It CAN work! Think of all the "wow" Super Bowl halftimes, the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Wasn't the highlight of the Grammy's this year the performance by Pink?

I'm in a holding pattern (as a fan) right now. The DCI elite's vision (probably correct) is still at too early a stage for me to be drawn in. What we're seeing is random experimentation. I hope they get it "right" soon.

"it makes me worried that Allentown will be replaced by a dome."

Hi, Jeff!

Interesting prediction. If we assume DCI-sponsored events, like Allentown, are increasingly headed for "somewhat" ideal conditions, conditions NOT dependent on weather, outside sound influences, have enough voltage, permit unique lighting/smoke special effects, expensive (easily damaged) costumes etc., I believe you are correct.

There's a reason why Ringling Brothers circus is now held indoors.

Seems to me, the elite of DCI is striving to provide a "spectacle." A spectacle similar to Blast! and comparable to high-end rock concerts. Most likely, a spectacle MOST suitable to live TV and audio/video post production. You know, the elite of DCI is probably right to pursue that vision. It CAN work! Think of all the "wow" Super Bowl halftimes, the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Wasn't the highlight of the Grammy's this year the performance by Pink?

I'm in a holding pattern (as a fan) right now. The DCI elite's vision (probably correct) is still at too early a stage for me to be drawn in. What we're seeing is random experimentation. I hope they get it "right" soon.

couldn't tell ya about the Grammys. Most popular music released today makes me turn the channel. and, IMO, Super Bowl haftime to me means bathroom run and food refill.

and sadly, that's what drum corps inside is starting to feel like to me...something I don't want to see. What's sad is more and more people agree with me.

I mean...drum corps survived rain for decades. I've sat thru 2 hurricanes to watch big shows. I practiced in rain. marched in rain. Marched in heat and cold too.

someone else used the word "wussified" in relation to drum corps in another thread, maybe even this one.....and I think in some ways....that poster is spot on

That's just it, Jeff. You and I come to this product with preconceived notions about what WAS good and thus, must FOREVER be good. Frankly, the DCI elite's current product has passed me by, BUT . . . it's a work in progress. I do hope to buy-in again soon.

The real money lies in whatever product resonates with TODAY'S casual viewer. I truly believe DCI is striving to find a formula it thinks can achieve that acceptance. That product might not include you and I. So be it, I guess.

As I stated before, Job One should be to incorporate more palatable melodies.

I understand the need to keep finding new fans. however, I see no business sense in casting old fans away.

I worked in the wireless industry for many years. All you heard until 2002 was "get new customers, get more new customers".

then they realized...in doing so, they weren't retaining customers. Then you began to see a priority in how existing customers were taken care of, as well as getting new customers.

the key demo became the "churn rate"...losing customers mean you "churned" them out.

2% was considered unacceptable annually. 2% of 30 million customers, yeah that's not a lot in the big picture.

2% of DCI's customer base....while not drastically bringing new fans in...which I'm not convinced they are seeing as NO attendance numbers for 08 and 09 have been released ( and you know if they were good, or could be put in any kind of good spin, DCI would have done so)....2% is hurting the business.

there is logic in retaining and adding. I'm just not sure they want to do that or know how

to me...really....despite my dislikes of some of what I see on the field....i want to be entertained. sometimes really technical shows do that. sometimes shows that tug the heartstrings do that.

and for paying those kinds of bucks to go to finals, not being in a thunderdome does that.

if attendance drops annually like Orlando did, it may not matter what deal DCI has with Indy...public perception may be too damaged to fix

I disagree, both with this premise and with the inference that there has been an advantage in the past.

To make a long story short, we have had cases over the past decade where one corps has broken away from the pack with a markedly superior visual program, and won many contests as a result. It happened because they were that good....not because a few of the shows were indoors. (Note that they won contests outdoors too.)

Corps that have won DCI the last decade got their edge almost exclusively from their creative VISUAL and Guard shows, not from being musically creative with new music, new fresh ways of playing the music, etc.

From The Cavaliers creative Visuals ( it wasn't the new music )..... to the Cadets " The Zone ".....even Phantom's win in 2008 was a VISUAL change in the last week that put them over the top...... to last year with the Blue Devils and their thoroughly unique and creative use of chairs, dance..... it has been a Corps ability to do something unique and creative in the Visual realm that has taken them to a Title, not the Music

65-80 brass executing good charts doesn't get the same credit as 30 or so Guard( half the size ) doing great dance and equipment work. With Guards usually half the size of brass lines, per member, they are more important in the points they can generate for their Corps. Just do the math. A Guard member IS more important to placement and scores than the Brass..... and percussion members ( smallest number ) have more weighted opportunities to generate build up credits than do Brass as well. Guards of much smaller size are not handicapped due to size. Quite the contrary. They are advantaged, despite their relatively smaller size than the brass line, whose central role is to carry the Music., and secondarily do their visuals. And percussion ? Their central role is to augment the music. Their influence to the Visual score is far, far less than the Guard. It is the GUARD that increasingly separates the Corps placement wise in DCI, because they don't do music..... they do the Visual only. When Cavaliers won, it was the ability to execute superb visual moves that carried them to their Titles. Including the brass doing the creative Visuals. Was it music that allowed he Cavs to reemerge in the 90's to capture their Titles ? Hardly. Their ticket got punched to their Titles primarily from their superbly created and executed Visual side.

Additionally, we have seen more individual GUARD members out front doing solo work in terms of the time alloted in the solo than most solos done by either brass or percussion. Just watch the videos if one needs to confirm in their own mind who is front and center these days with the solos. 8 out of 10 times, the solos out front are done primarily by someone from the Guard. So yes, the activity rewards the Visual and Guard, more so than the Music. I don't see how that's much in dispute. If a Corps wants to win DCI, it's got to come primarily through a knock out creative and innovative Visual show, not a killer brass line or drum line..... these will usually garner you 2nd, 3rd, 4th place.

And if we put these Finals in DOMES ? Well, the Visual and Guard will be EVERYTHING on Finals Night as there are no echos in a knock out Visual Show. Judges hear the music played in an echochamber when it's in a dome. But they can still see a great visual show augmented by a superb Guard. A Corps with a stunning visual and guard show will win in a dome, more than a Corps with great brass and percussion line. But that's just my opinion here too. We'll just have to see.

Edited by BRASSO