Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

For those that are worried about the content of the 2010 Madison Scouts show I believe their staff is very capable and competent in making sure the show achieves the desired results.

From what I have seen from videos I really enjoy what they are doing!! A great start back to where Madison should be!!

I really doubt it's a one show fluke.

I guess we'll know after tonight. It is the content score that confuses me. Isn't that basically a reflection of demand and how it supports the show? I have yet to see a color guard with more demand than Blue Stars this year. Their work is as difficult as anyone's (I'm a drummer but this is supported by numerous color guard folks I've chatted with) and they're doing it one handed with straight jackets on, tied to chairs, in hand cuffs, I mean seriously? I can see their performance score being down right now due to the difficulty of what they're trying to pull off, but I don't get the content score at all.

I guess we'll know after tonight. It is the content score that confuses me. Isn't that basically a reflection of demand and how it supports the show? I have yet to see a color guard with more demand than Blue Stars this year. Their work is as difficult as anyone's (I'm a drummer but this is supported by numerous color guard folks I've chatted with) and they're doing it one handed with straight jackets on, tied to chairs, in hand cuffs, I mean seriously? I can see their performance score being down right now due to the difficulty of what they're trying to pull off, but I don't get the content score at all.

I'm somewhat ignorant here. I saw a photo of the Blue Stars colorguard with what I thought was a straight-jacket, but it just looked like they were wearing a white jacket while keeping their hands/arms close to them. In other words, they weren't actually in a straight-jacket. (Not trying to bash, I honestly don't know because I haven't seen an up-close version of the show)

If it makes you feel any better about Madison's difficulty, there's a lot of moments where they have to do work on those 'construction' props. (tossing on them, tossing over them, tossing on them and catching off of them, tossing over them to someone else who catches it)

I know next to nothing about colorguard btw. I'm pretty much confused when trying to form an opinion about it, but I can say that I'm also surprised that Madison beat BS in the guard caption.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

i will people would stop saying scouts were not scouts the past three years...i marched in 08 and #### it we earned that seat in finals. i know every bit of what being a scout is...grr its just frustrating, we are not about numbers or placing.

I don't think anyone said the Scouts were not the Scouts over the past 3 years...in terms of those who marched, etc. You guys deserve all the respect in the world....and, yes, you certainly did earn your finals spot in 2008.....I am just saying that I like this direction better than what was the case over the past 3 years....that's all.

Scouts guard are Rock Stars... They are gonna roll over a whole lot of others... 12 guns, unison 7...

Edited by Cop

I really doubt it's a one show fluke.

Jim Moore has laid out three of the best WGI equipment books with SCV... 2008 2009 and then 2010 wow.

And now his book for the 2010 Scouts.... They are not a fluke, it's colorguard at it's best..

Go Madison

Edited by Cop

I don't think anyone said the Scouts were not the Scouts over the past 3 years...in terms of those who marched, etc. You guys deserve all the respect in the world....and, yes, you certainly did earn your finals spot in 2008.....I am just saying that I like this direction better than what was the case over the past 3 years....that's all.

Heard. haha sorry if i seemed a lil on edge. but omg yes the new direction is fantastic!! whoopin up on some Blue stars and glassmen! they are bringin it!!! :thumbup:

Heard. haha sorry if i seemed a lil on edge. but omg yes the new direction is fantastic!! whoopin up on some Blue stars and glassmen! they are bringin it!!! :thumbup:

No problem; I understand where you're coming from. When people used to ask me what corps I marched, I would tell them Oakland Crusaders, and of course they would brighten up, thinking it was the DCI finals years. Then I would tell them what years I marched, and people would say, almost cheerfully and to my face, "Oh . . . the down years!" Needless to say, that's hard to take. The people who are members of corps during their "down" years don't care less, don't try less, don't fail to work as hard; they're just caught up in circumstances beyond their control, and trying to make the best of them. In more recent years, the advantage of time gives me the perspective to understand what people mean and not take it so personally. But I'd be lying if I said that it didn't hurt at the time.

Czapinski had them way down in vis GE, so that's a bit of a concern.

bit of Trivia - Czapinski wrote Madison's drill in 1978. Check it out.

In fairness, the drill doesn't have the continual whiplash effect of many other corps, so I wonder if that's part of it. But I see this as potentially being part of the rebuilding process: First build the foundation of that sound, then build the visual behind it.