Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

In fairness, the drill doesn't have the continual whiplash effect of many other corps, so I wonder if that's part of it. But I see this as potentially being part of the rebuilding process: First build the foundation of that sound, then build the visual behind it.

Sound...check.

I'm somewhat ignorant here. I saw a photo of the Blue Stars colorguard with what I thought was a straight-jacket, but it just looked like they were wearing a white jacket while keeping their hands/arms close to them. In other words, they weren't actually in a straight-jacket.

Looks like a straight jacket to me.

07_06_2010_houdini.jpg

Check out the DCI Field Pass as they talk about the use of the straight jacket and other props.

No problem; I understand where you're coming from. When people used to ask me what corps I marched, I would tell them Oakland Crusaders, and of course they would brighten up, thinking it was the DCI finals years. Then I would tell them what years I marched, and people would say, almost cheerfully and to my face, "Oh . . . the down years!" Needless to say, that's hard to take. The people who are members of corps during their "down" years don't care less, don't try less, don't fail to work as hard; they're just caught up in circumstances beyond their control, and trying to make the best of them. In more recent years, the advantage of time gives me the perspective to understand what people mean and not take it so personally. But I'd be lying if I said that it didn't hurt at the time.

Very well put. I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time at the right age to march in 2 of Madison's better years but have always understood that it was the members that stuck with the corps during the difficult years like the late 60's and more recently 2007 that made it possible for

members like me in 75 to enjoy the success we did and those new members and vets who will enjoy the resurgence of the current Scouts.

And Lil Scout 13 I thought the 2008 Scouts rocked!

Very well put. I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time at the right age to march in 2 of Madison's better years but have always understood that it was the members that stuck with the corps during the difficult years like the late 60's and more recently 2007 that made it possible for

members like me in 75 to enjoy the success we did and those new members and vets who will enjoy the resurgence of the current Scouts.

And Lil Scout 13 I thought the 2008 Scouts rocked!

I thought we did very well in 08 it just seems like the memory of that season has been clouded by all the negativity from 09.

Czapinski had them way down in vis GE, so that's a bit of a concern.

bit of Trivia - Czapinski wrote Madison's drill in 1978. Check it out.

Gary will score scouts low the next time he judges them as well. Gary and also Marie

No problem; I understand where you're coming from. When people used to ask me what corps I marched, I would tell them Oakland Crusaders, and of course they would brighten up, thinking it was the DCI finals years. Then I would tell them what years I marched, and people would say, almost cheerfully and to my face, "Oh . . . the down years!" Needless to say, that's hard to take. The people who are members of corps during their "down" years don't care less, don't try less, don't fail to work as hard; they're just caught up in circumstances beyond their control, and trying to make the best of them. In more recent years, the advantage of time gives me the perspective to understand what people mean and not take it so personally. But I'd be lying if I said that it didn't hurt at the time.

I can totally relate. I marched Blue Stars in 1993.

I can totally relate. I marched Blue Stars in 1993.

At least your corps climbed its way back up . . . and that's a good thing! In that case, even years that are considered "down" years at least keep the corps going. And to rebound from that and create upward competitive momentum? That's something to be treasured. Sadly, it did not happen for my corps . . . and too many others.

I thought we did very well in 08 it just seems like the memory of that season has been clouded by all the negativity from 09.

Yup, it's the "What have you done for me lately?" mentality.