Why Announce Where the Corps is from?

I just got to thinking, when a corps is announced, why announce where the corps is from any longer?

The regional model has long been gone in DCI. Most of the kids who march come from all over the country. Even many corps hold camps outside of the stated city they are from or change their "headquarters" frequently. Most corps have pretty much dropped the city name from their corps name, as well. You hardly ever hear "Concord Blue Devils" or "Canton Bluecoats" these days.

Can you tell I am bored at work and it's winter in drum corps? :tongue:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually agree. When I marched and they said "from Denver, Colorado..." I always thought, "No, actually, I'm not."

I remember talking to a friend from Blue Stars back in 04, and she said she never went to Lacrosse for a camp. She'd never been to the city at all.

The only corps I actually feel it's appropriate for is Cadets, who say "...sponsored by Youth Education in the Arts". That at least promotes the sponsoring organization.

If there are two corps that can't drop where they are from, it's Regiment and Blue Devils.

Simply for the fact that I love the way that Brandt Crocker says Rockford, Illinois and Concord.

:tongue:

Ummm Santa Clara?

Touche, sir.

hell, some people still call the Cavies "Chicago" and the Cadets "Garfield"

euuh, Boston Crusaders :tongue:

Since most (and maybe sometimes all) funding comes from the cities some corps are headquartered, this would be a hard sell. It could be politically not advisable. I sense that Rosemont might have a problem with this considering the amount of $$ they use to support the Cavaliers. I am assuming the same goes for Rockford, Concord, Santa Clara and Allentown just to name a few?