Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

Seriously, does marching any instrument really "look" normal?

No, it's all pretty silly. The juvenile "flutes and clarinets marching suck" garbage is more funny than anything.

I don't want flute or clarinets on the field simply because they don't sound good outside, and I like the all brass sound of drum corps.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOOD GRIEF...., they don't mix the rock band and the symphony FOREVER. The Rock Band and Symphony come togther on a rare occasion to do a gig together and then they go their separate ways. The rock band keeps it's identity and so doesn't the symphony..... all intact.

What does that have to do with anything? The point is that there are NO limits on what instruments an orchestra or a rock band can use whenever they want. IMO drum corps should be the same.

for special events sure they have worked together.

but drum corps isn't a special event. it was, and becomes less of, a unique artform/competitive genre all of it's own.

It's not just special events for some...and again, the point is that there are no limits on those groups at all....as should be the case in corps, IMO.

It's not just special events for some...and again, the point is that there are no limits on those groups at all....as should be the case in corps, IMO.

This conversation has gone in circles for years. I think you believe that opening up options simply allows more options. If that were true, I'd still be against further change in DCI. However, I subscribe to the point of view (borne out by history) that opening up options results in all of them used by everyone. At that point the marching arts are completely homogenized, and there is no more plain vanilla ice cream for people who prefer that flavor.

right. so let's just take a unique activity and try to make it all things to all people.

you do realize that is a universal failing tactic for any kind of business?

I just want to know why everyone feels that "Marching Band" is a threat to "Drum Corps". Why don't people think "Drum Corps" is a threat to "marching band"? or why is there a even a threat at all? Is it only because Marching Band allows for more instruments? Really? So the fact that Drum Corps doesn't allow certain instruments makes it "weaker" than marching band and as a result gives it the potential to tare down DCI as we know it? Really? C'mon...

**I know this is off topic but a few of the posts in this thread made me think about it.

What does that have to do with anything? The point is that there are NO limits on what instruments an orchestra or a rock band can use whenever they want. IMO drum corps should be the same.

There are " no limits on what instruments an orchestra or rock band can use whenever they want " ?

That's like saying "there are no limits to what instruments a homicidal maniac can use whenever they want "

Look... common sense tells us that no orchestra is going to make permanent in their season the use of rock band instruments or rock singers. Nor would a rock band make permanent use of opera singers in their shows.

Sure, they COULD do it. If they were completely insane, or had a death wish.

Edited by BRASSO

I just want to know why everyone feels that "Marching Band" is a threat to "Drum Corps". Why don't people think "Drum Corps" is a threat to "marching band"? or why is there a even a threat at all? Is it only because Marching Band allows for more instruments? Really? So the fact that Drum Corps doesn't allow certain instruments makes it "weaker" than marching band and as a result gives it the potential to tare down DCI as we know it? Really? C'mon...

**I know this is off topic but a few of the posts in this thread made me think about it.

If the foxes invade the hen house and the hens are stripped bare of protections from invasion, would you say that the hens stripped bare of protections are a threat to the foxes that came into the cages,... or the other way around ?

If the foxes invade the hen house and the hens are stripped bare of protections from invasion, would you say that the hens stripped bare of protections are a threat to the foxes that came into the cages,... or the other way around ?

Without getting too wrapped up in this: for a large part of competitive marching arts (for lack of a better term) history, marching band has emulated drum corps. I'm just guessing but I would say up until about 2000 perhaps? Anyway, at some point, drum corps became so mired in tradition (not necessarily a bad thing) that marching band became more innovative. From that point forward, drum corps, to some extent, has emulated marching band (and/or WGI) in show design (e.g. amplification and electronics) while marching band still strives to emulate drum corps in performance quality. While drum corps remains the gold standard of the marching activity in terms of excellence and execution, in areas such as show design and creativity DCI has been lagging behind in recent years. For better or for worse, drum corps is now looking to marching band for 'where to go next', because marching band has already gone there.

I'm also curious if the drum corps purists out there were given the option pick a year rules-wise and have those rules be carved in stone tablets and enshrined in DCI headquaters until the end of time, would you do that? Which year and why? Would you be comfortable with the activity never changing/evolving again? If not, how would you suggest the activity move forwards (not necessarily from today, but from a year of your choice)? Along those lines, which recent (2000+) rules changes do you feel have been beneficial to the activity? This should probably be another thread...(EDIT: New Thread)

Lastly, I'd be very curious to what the reaction would be if drum corps had ratified amplification and electronics prior to their use in marching band. I would think that there would still be traditionalists who would voice the same complaints they do today, but there would obviously be less talk of "drum corps turning into/is already marching band". If drum corps did it first, would there be as much of a complaint? What if these changes were looked at in a vacuum where marching band does not exist? What would everyone think then?

Edited by Richard