Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOOD IS GOOD .

Closed mindedness in this regard is usually a lack of musical education.

Ah, yes. . . the elitist mindset.

Music majors playing for music majors watched by music majors. . . .forget the fact taste is subjective. Going gaga over the latest piece for wind ensemble (something along the trite "Kinda Jazzy (But Not Really) Tone Poem to Some Place") is no different than wanting to hear Malaguena again. Most people don't need a music ed degree to know what they like.

Tell me again how many members of the CBS "Orchestra" have music ed degrees?

Keep up that mindset, though. Enjoy cannibalizing the other circuits in the coming years to try to sustain what little following we have left. :tongue:

GOOD IS GOOD .

Its music we are talking about. The ART and pageantry of drum corps.

When people booed Bob Dylan for going electric. were they out of line ?

listen first.

Well, I'll put my 11 years of ensemble directing (private middle school and high school, both chorus and band) and my Bachelor and Master of Music out there as an example of a musical education. I have listened for a fairly long time since I started my involvement in band as a student 28 years ago and drum corps 26 years ago.

As I said in an earlier post, I LOVE a wind ensemble - INDOORS. I get to hear flutes and clarinets and saxophones of all sorts (and oboes and bassoons) play without amplification, and the acoustic indoors is much more supportive in terms of balance, blend and intonation. I prefer an outdoor ensemble be all brass and percussion because the balance, intonation and blend of that particular ensemble is a much more pleasing outdoor musical experience for me.

To claim that those who have similar preferences lack musical education is a red herring. People like what they like - it doesn't really take knowledge of music to hear certain things on a field and know they don't sound quite right. Maybe it's not musical education you're talking about, but rather "music education indoctrination."

Really? Because it is not the 'actual show' you think it's ok to make a fool of yourself and ruin the enjoyment of the performance for those around you? I hope anyone who disrupts a performance gets kicked out of the stadium.

Oh, here I think we can all agree that " anyone that disrupts a performance gets kicked out of the stadium". No fan should run onto th field, like those intoxicated nitwits at sporting events, where security has to run and tackle the nut before hauling his sorry behind out the gate. I just don't thnk we'll see any DCI fans running onto the DCI field to harrass a clarinet player anytime soon.. ' Hope not, anyway.. But yes, boot him or her out. Here we can agree. Nobody has the right to " disrupt a performance ". Also, yelling out from the stands during a ballad the name of a marcher, or yelling out " splooie" and " eat' em up Boston ", or " woodwinds are awful " is certainly no cause for removal as long as the burst of pleasure or displeasure is short and to the point, it seems to me. If we allow loud bursts of yelling approval from the stands, it seems to me that we ( and Corps ) should be able to likewise tolerate the occasional yelling of DISapproval too.

Edited by BRASSO

GOOD IS GOOD .

Its music we are talking about. The ART and pageantry of drum corps.

When people booed Bob Dylan for going electric. were they out of line ?

listen first.

No, the people who booed Dylan for going electric were not " out of line ", anymore than those fans who cheered his use of an electric guitar. And by the way, Bob Dylan never again attained the same level of commercial success for himself after he used an electric guitar in his band as he had amassed in his folk guitar useage band days. The elecric guitar simply was not as well suited for his particular talents and music writing skills, as the folk guitar had been as an accompaniment to his musical writing skills. Plus, he was more proficient playing the stringed folk guitar, than the electric guitar. So a compelling argument can be made that Bob Dylan's change from a stringed folk guitar to an electric guitar ultimately was a failure for him as it hurt, not helped, his professional musical career via future number of Top 25 hits on the Top 25 Billboard, and concert size audiences in the coming years for Dylan and his Band.

Edited by BRASSO

I happen to like both vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream, but I wouldn't appreciate it if someone poured chocolate sauce all over the vanilla in the freezer just because he didn't think he had enough chocolate ice cream to enjoy. He might think the vanilla ice cream is now more flavorful, but it wouldn't be vanilla anymore. It would seem very selfish to insist on adding that sauce to everyone's vanilla without their permission. It's not like anyone is trying to take the chocolate out of the chocolate ice cream. I like both, and it seems to me that it would be best for everyone if both were always available to choose.

I happen to like both vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream, but I wouldn't appreciate it if someone poured chocolate sauce all over the vanilla in the freezer just because he didn't think he had enough chocolate ice cream to enjoy. He might think the vanilla ice cream is now more flavorful, but it wouldn't be vanilla anymore. It would seem very selfish to insist on adding that sauce to everyone's vanilla without their permission. It's not like anyone is trying to take the chocolate out of the chocolate ice cream. I like both, and it seems to me that it would be best for everyone if both were always available to choose.

Good points. Some might argue that adding woodwinds would be like instead of having vanilla yogurt OR chocolate ice cream as a dessert offering, it would be like taking vanilla yoghurt and chocolate ice cream, mixing it together in a bowl, freezing and thawing it, and then making it the only thing now on the dessert menu and then hearing.... " Com'on, eat up. It'll be good for you. Plus, the chef and the kids in the back worked long and hard on the new concoction. Just give it a chance. You'll love it".

If that's the option, I think I'll do a pass, take an after dinner mint, and ask the waitor for the check, thank you very much.

Edited by BRASSO

Except I don't see anyone looking to use WW 'without...permission'.

Really? Because it is not the 'actual show' you think it's ok to make a fool of yourself and ruin the enjoyment of the performance for those around you? I hope anyone who disrupts a performance gets kicked out of the stadium.

You're absolutely right.

You know what else I hate? When people stand up and cheer and block the view whenever something amazing happens. It's so disruptive. If they think it's ok to make fools of themselves and ruin the enjoyment of the performance for those around them then they should be kicked out of the stadium. There were some Colts fans at the last show I went to that stood up and yelled "RED TEAM!" every time something remotely cool happened. What a bunch of heartless ########.

Everyone sit on their hands, it's the polite way to go.

[/sarcasm]

My point is since that DCI says "anything goes" during preshow, IMO the audience will therefore have that right too. Bridgemen had to deal with some booing back in 77 when they were disqualified and eventually let back onto the field. You know what? They won back the crowd. I highly doubt WWs will have that same effect, but until they do I'll definitely be a complete d-bag and boo whatever I don't like hearing during the preshow. The players will no doubt deal with it like professionals.

What the hell do you want me to do, go find every corps director and judge and hand them a polite note even though they will probably throw it out once they get it?