Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

That's why "Voiceovers and narration" are legal! :worthy:

and I pull this up thinking " Ok, Davis has posted something, this will be interesting"

And by God, it is, you DO have sense of humor after all

( by the way, we had to play for the basketball game tonight, 20 requests for the 3 note wonder tune " stand up and get crunk" . I'm NOT looking forward to next football season already... but at least we have ALL of next week off :worthy: )

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Us old guys consider it a compliment when we're mistaken for young guys. I saw my first drum corps in 1973 when I was in high school. Loved it then. Love it today.

HH

Oh, you ARE a 'newbie'...I saw my first in 64 (I was 10 1/2 though). and I agree..."Loved it then. Love it today". :worthy:

You know, there's no point arguing over this. None of you are corps directors/board members who vote on this stuff so this really doesnt matter. You're getting worked up over what THEY thought will be BEST for the corps this season.

As for the pre-show and age rule. If you read them, you would understand them

i did read it. and what i saw to me said "opening the door just a little wider"

That's completely understandable, but what can stressing out about it accomplish besides possibly enlightening a few hundred people who read DCP?

more people read than post. and since, at least for appearances sake with the fiasco that is Lucas Oil, maybe DCI will read and learn

I'm with you so far.

Yea, not so much here. You may feel or think so, but the fact is this...how many discussions amongst directors and corps staffs have you been apart of lately? If the answer is no (and I bet it is), you have no clue what is discussed. You may think they don't care, but you don't really know.

It's one thing to have an opinion on a topic, it's quite another to pronounce facts with no evidence to back it up. I can tell you that directors and corps staff do consider the fans. Maybe some more than others to varying degrees, but it's happening.

Right now, a lot of consideration is being given to the fans and the audience experience at shows. It's been a major topic of conversation. Now you and I may agree that designers should consider entertainment to a higher degree (and again, some do more than others), but to say no consideration is being given to the fans at all is flat out wrong.

i want to agree. but bringing in "experts" on how to make things better?

wouldn't they want to listen to fans who actually help foot their bills over experts who apparently have no ties to drum corps?

There IS an underpinning to many opinions here saying "DCI is now, and has been destroying drum corps." I don't agree.

If we think back to when and why DCI was formed, more importantly, WHO formed it, we must recognized it was created to protect and promote the "super corps" at that time. Those high-end groups wanted to determine their own fate, not carry out the wishes of the American Legion or VFW. Their new organization accomplished that. Nothing has changed today.

I haven't read the DCI By-laws (charter?) but I doubt the organization took responsibility for preserving EVERY drum corps on Earth, then and forever more. The organization DOES open an opportunity to EVERY drum corps on Earth to earn their way into an elite group (top 12, top 25) who shall determine how best to protect and promote a "super corps" group of participants.

Hundreds, maybe thousands of non-member corps pursued the dream of becoming part of this elite group. Many of them failed and bankrupted themselves in the process.

If we believe in the "survival of the fittest" theory, we see that concept continuing to play out. As consumers, WE do not have to buy into it. Yet, if the new vision and changes work for those who decide to make them, fine! There can be success without those who express their dismay here.

Time will tell.

but let me ask you a question Fred...

if enough people walk, will they realize they went too far and change things back? will they keep on their merry way anyways?

and not only that...if they do change back, will it be too late as people will have had enough and are gone for good?

That IS what passing amps was for. Synths were a different rule that passed. Amps passing did not permit electronics. No new instruments were permitted by the passage of amps.

amps were the gateway rule Mike...get one thing passed, add more on in the years to come.

Honestly, Jeff -

If enough people walk, creating crowds in the 8-10K range for major events, I believe DCI will continue its rapid drive toward creativity and perfection by adjusting the scale of its venues. I truly believe we'll see the activity morph into an arena act, a "bigger-scale" blast!

There are hundreds of large arenas to book. They are not controlled by weather. ALL show effects are possible, unique costuming, laser lights, smoke, videos, movable props and backgrounds of all sizes. A "wow" experience for entire families.

Performing units in such a setting can be pared to 80-90 members. Today's elite corps organizations can field more than one touring ensemble, if they choose. DCI might even book the extravaganzas in cities for consecutive nights. More importantly, the season can be extended into non-traditional months.

I do believe we'll see this within the next decade. I'll attend!