Pirated finals videos

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd record the shows every chance I'd have. I mean face it, sometime you think of a show you liked and your say to yourself, "hey, i'd really like to watch that show right now." Well, luckily because of youtube you dont have to go looking for that DVD you lost 7 years ago, you dont have to find that remote that you have seen in weeks, you just type it in and get something that just gets you by. I couldnt see this effecting DVD sales that much, its a spur of the moment thing. Why should I have to go to DCI.org or to the corps website and pay $30-$100 for a dvd of a single show or more that I feel like watching randomly on a wdnesday evening. So personally, I would have walked up to the dude with the camera and said thanks for saving this moment in low quality so I can get my drum corps fix for the night.

I'd record the shows every chance I'd have. I mean face it, sometime you think of a show you liked and your say to yourself, "hey, i'd really like to watch that show right now." Well, luckily because of youtube you dont have to go looking for that DVD you lost 7 years ago, you dont have to find that remote that you have seen in weeks, you just type it in and get something that just gets you by. I couldnt see this effecting DVD sales that much, its a spur of the moment thing. Why should I have to go to DCI.org or to the corps website and pay $30-$100 for a dvd of a single show or more that I feel like watching randomly on a wdnesday evening. So personally, I would have walked up to the dude with the camera and said thanks for saving this moment in low quality so I can get my drum corps fix for the night.

I agree 100%.

That's not really cool but at the same time I'm not going to start a fight, especially not at finals, over it. There definitely are some fans though who have no problem with getting in people's faces. At the first Toledo show this past year someone got in my friend's face for taking a picture of the Cavaliers as they were coming onto the field. Is it actually illegal to photograph the corps?

The basic law is that if the person viewing or recording is in a place they can legally be then yes they can photograph or video tape. However, privacy laws differ from state to state. In general, if the private property is open to public (e.g., malls, stadiums, tourist areas, etc.) then photography and filming may be allowed unless there are signs expressly forbidding it. So, it's very unlikely your friend was doing anything illegal by taking a picture of a corps entering a field -- given there is no reasonable expectation of privacy when walking onto a football field in a crowded stadium.

As for making a recording for personal use (and not distributing it), you'd be hard press to find a DA willing to prosecute such a case. At most, you open yourself up to a lawsuit from DCI due to breach of contract (not necessarily anything to do with copyrights, and in which case you'd probably lose too, heh). It has long been held in courts that videotaping for private purposes only (e.g., not distributed / sold) does not require a license.

Edited by dcsnare93

hell.. i have the DVDs and still go on you tube...

honestly... I don't give a #### if it is illegal. It doesn't really matter if you video tape something anyway... most corps and also DCI are often patrolling you tube, and other sites. If it is a full length show, it is often removed very quickly.

IIRC, the reason I have heard stated at drum corps shows for not allowing recording is due to music copyright issues and has absolutely nothing to do with "stealing from the corps". Anybody that used a camcorder to record a show in the Can probably only watched/listened to it once and decided that was enough. I can only believe that the CD's and DVD's sound as good as they do is because they have been technologically enhanced.

08-thou-shalt-not-steal.jpg

To paraphrase Dennis Miller . . .I don't want to go off on a rant here, or anything . . but:

Is this image public domain?

Did you let the person who owns said image at wordpress know that you're stealing their bandwidth to re-post your "Mighty Moral Minute"?

Uh oh, you may have stole something on teh internetz. :smile:

Anyway, as far as the topic goes . . . people are going to record drum corps shows, just like they do rock concerts. It's been going on for a long time, and will continue to do so.

However, that's what they're going to stay: bootleg. No one is going to confuse a HandyCam video of SCV for Finals level quality, just as they wouldn't say a recorded show of Lush from 1994 in Texas is better than a full length album and its attendant videos with superior production values.

Is it illegal? Sure, and so are a lot of other things that people do every day. Lots of people skate by smoking pot, cheating on their taxes, not returning that extra $20 that they got from the cashier by accident at Steak and Shake, jaywalking and other stuff. Most all of us speed a little faster than the speed limit if we can do it.

Yep, I just made a moral equivalency of all of those things, using my own personal judgment. Apparently, a lot of other people do this too, about a great many things.

Is it right? Well, that's for the judicial system to decide as copyright cases and other things come to court. . .but until each one of us start performing citizens arrests when see we something illegal going on, it's not really going to change a whole lot.

If DCI was serious about this stuff, then they would confiscate it the second they saw it on YouTube, in order to one up these folks who record stuff . . . would control their own content via a DCI Youtube channel (Fan Network is nice, but the subscription fee still creates a barrier).

. . .or, better yet, invite people to record stuff like lot rehearsal or other footage and then post it on DCI.org/DCI's official YouTube presence as something similar to the CNN "iReport" idea.

Rather than be at odds with these kids who want to record shows and other stuff, let them. Make them your own personal news team covering shows that you otherwise couldn't get to. Learn to use "anonymous" as your ally, not your enemy, and DCI will be the richer content-wise for it.

Otherwise, we just end up with an activity that's got more of a stranglehold on its content than Lindsay Lohan in a Vegas nightclub does with a rolled up Andrew Jackson and some pure Colombian nose-candy.

(I felt obligated to continue the Miller thing to the end. :smile:)

The basic law is that if the person viewing or recording is in a place they can legally be then yes they can photograph or video tape.

Doesn't DCI state that recordings are not allowed at their events? If so, then at the least you can get your butt bounced out of the stadium and DCI could do what is needed to protect their licensing.

This whole thread just makes me want to fart.

Which would also sound awesome on a bootleg.

Friend: "What's that?"

Bootlegger: "Amp must have been bumped. Nevermind".

Seriuosly, interesting how DCIs are supported on DCP but when peoples wallets are concerned then all bets are off.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I'm listening to Asphalt Cocktail so I'm in the perfect mood to bring up something that has stuck in my craw since Finals night.

But first, does anyone remember how the seats in the Can are numbered? Sitting in a section do the seat numbers increase from right to left or left to right?

Now, Finals night. I've got my 10 year old with me and we're settling in for the show. I'm getting situated. I happen to turn around and see a guy standing two rows back, right behind me, yakking with his friends. Just then I happened to notice that he's got a nice, small, obviously digital Sony Handycam in his hand. I actually stared at it for a moment, almost in disbelief, to make sure it was a video camera. There was no doubt in my mind.

I looked up at him and he wasn't paying any attention to me or my evil, glaring stare. In that two-tenths of a second I knew I should confront him sternly about it, then second-guessed myself ("What if he says, 'Yes, I'm going to record the whole show."), then I turned and sat down. I fumed about it for a few minutes and almost got up and in his face but, ultimately, I decided to shut up, enjoy the show, and not make a scene about it. I even considered getting a stadium staff member but there were none in sight.

I've never forgotten my 50-year-old wussiness (I don't typically back down easily) and have since regretted not saying something.

So, should I have?

What would you have done?

What WILL you do?

AFAIK, it's only illegal if the recording itself is distributed. Against stadium rules, yes. Against DCI policy, yes. Highly discouraged, yes.

Having been a performer on a year when recordings were NOT made to be purchased. If only in part. I don't have a problem with people making recordings. Scouring the DCI website to purchase recordings from the years that I marched and didn't make finals and coming up empty.

Wondering if you would have issue with the issue if it wasn't finals? Or wasn't even world class.