Pirated finals videos

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't resist the urge to chime in here...

There is obviously a need (read MARKET) for the immediacy and customization that a home made video provides. You can stand on your soap box and cry holier than thou all you want, but that won't stop the tsunami of technology. Rather than fight it, work with it and make it work for you. The solution is very simple. Offer a $15 or $20 video permit for those who wish to make home movies of the event. Add a few restrictions like hand held only, no tripods or additional mics, etc., and require that the permit be displayed in plain view for ushers and other audience members to see.

These home movies actually do a lot for the promotion of DCI. Yes they are currently illegal, but maybe they shouldn't be if a contribution is made to the cause. Do the math and I think you will find that DCI is letting a good opportunity get away.

There is obviously a need (read MARKET) for the immediacy and customization that a home made video provides. You can stand on your soap box and cry holier than thou all you want, but that won't stop the tsunami of technology. Rather than fight it, work with it and make it work for you. The solution is very simple. Offer a $15 or $20 video permit for those who wish to make home movies of the event. Add a few restrictions like hand held only, no tripods or additional mics, etc., and require that the permit be displayed in plain view for ushers and other audience members to see.

These home movies actually do a lot for the promotion of DCI. Yes they are currently illegal, but maybe they shouldn't be if a contribution is made to the cause. Do the math and I think you will find that DCI is letting a good opportunity get away.

I agree with everything you said but it ain't that simple. DCI can't do that and would lose their shirts in court if they tried. They have licensing deals to use the music that specifically prohibit that kind of thing. They'd have to go back and renegotiate their licenses with the music publishers and the price would be much higher.

I agree with just about everything you posted, but....

If DCI was serious about this stuff, then they would confiscate it the second they saw it and, in order to one up these folks who record stuff . . . would control their own content via a DCI Youtube channel (Fan Network is nice, but the subscription fee still creates a barrier).

DCI, nor stadium officials have a legal right to confiscate a fan's camera. Nor do law enforcement officials without a court order. They also cannot force an individual to erase any footage. Yes, they can prohibit the act itself, but short of forcing the individual to leave the premises not much they can do at that moment in time (unless they intend to hold performances on some military base and the installation's commander deems it a matter of national security, heh).

Edited by dcsnare93

How much control can DCI have over "it's" content when corps are limited by the licensing of the composers/arrangers? With the problem corps are having with certain composers (John Williams(?), etc) maybe having a DCI controlled video website would hurt. Maybe some composers would not allow corps to use their music because of the site. Or perhaps charge more since DCI would have their compositions on the web. Help in one way but hurt in another.

As for the military bases confiscating cameras. I pass a nice big sign about that every morning. Too bad I can't take a picture of it. :smile:

DCI, nor stadium officials have a legal right to confiscate a fan's camera.

I meant more along the lines of "confiscating" the material on YouTube/Vimeo, etc as soon as it pops up in order to push their own "fan cam" stuff that users could submit . . .goodness knows they certainly don't have any right to take folks stuff at a show.

Sorry for not being clear there.

I agree with everything you said but it ain't that simple. DCI can't do that and would lose their shirts in court if they tried. They have licensing deals to use the music that specifically prohibit that kind of thing. They'd have to go back and renegotiate their licenses with the music publishers and the price would be much higher.

I understand that there would be legal issues, and that would go into the cost associated with the permits. The other option is to continue taking a loss on it. They're never gonna stop the guy who sneaks in a video camera and records things, possibly without anyone ever noticing. Bootlegs have been happening since the dawn of portable recorders. It's not just a DCI thing. But, DCI is in the unique situation of being a youth/family activity and parents want to video their kids. They do it at school, they do it at the park, and they're not gonna stop doing it at a stadium just because somebody printed something on their ticket. They'll never be prosecuted anyway, so it becomes a hollow rule with no real penalty. So... make some money.

Bravo.

I recall in the 70s going to midwest prelims at whitewater and taking my old school panasonic cassette tape recorder with me and record audio of the shows and nothing was said back then my mother still has the tapes. of course at the time this was not perceived as stealing but time changes everything.