Pirated finals videos

Correct. Something is illegal when it infringes upon someone else's rights.

Or something is declared illegal to impose someone else's sense of "right" on others.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. Something is illegal when it infringes upon someone else's rights.

But human rights are just that. They are made up by humans.. who are we to say what rights humans are entitled to?

But human rights are just that. They are made up by humans.. who are we to say what rights humans are entitled to?

We argue about it a lot.

We argue about it a lot.

NO, we DON'T, we debate :doh:

Most pointless thread in DCP. Ever.

Ummmmm, I can think of many that were more pointless but because they were, I don't remember the titles.

One would think that allowing people to record a show, from their perspective in the stands, would only help promote the activity.

Maybe they would catch a move or sound that the dvd does not show.

Also, You would think that DCI would plaster youtube with the best moments from finals of all the corps show, you know, for publicity.

I would think that a bootleg recording of youtube would be very minimal exposure. I doubt very many uninitiated folks stumble onto youtube videos of DCI and decide to go to a show/buy merchandise. I think the vast majority of youtube drum corps watchers are those of us already planning on going to shows and buying merchandise. Plus, with the advent of the Fan Network (and it's adds plastered all over DCI's official sight), putting low quality videos on youtube is nothing compared to the professional (at least comparatively speaking) quality videos on Fan Network for free created specifically to promote the activity.

And as I pointed out, you would be surprised how good a bootleg recording can turn out. I referenced a great bootleg of WGI Percussion World (both PIW and PSW Finals) that was a steady-cam shot of the over head boards that project the edited-on-the-fly video used for the live stream and DVD's. The crowd drowns out some things here and there, but it's very serviceable; and as I pointed out, I know of people who will not buy the DVD's because they have a good copy of the bootleg. So while the damage might be fairly minimal (compared to bootlegging the latest Hollywood blockbuster), there is monetary damage none the less.

As a performer, seeing people with their cameras at a show that is not finals is kind of cool to me. It makes me feel like these people think that my performance will be good enough for them to watch or share on the internet. It's some what of a hype for me I guess you can say. But now a show that's being taped and sold on dvd, that's not cool. But it is cool to watch a certain years finals scores reaction. :thumbup:

I REALLY hope you're not trying to correlate violating DCI copyright laws by illegally recording corps performances with segregation laws or something. :thumbup:

Here, let me finish this up for ya:

You know who else prohibited the illegal recordings of their public performances without express permission? Hitler.

Boom, thread over (heck, since people are trying to compare taping shows with racism or something, might as well throw out a Hitler reference)

Umm, read the whole thread and then we'll talk, I'm defending the guy with the camera, not condemning him.

So I have to pay 3000 dollars to march for the summer and another 100 dollars in November to DCI to watch why I spent 3000 dollars over the summer.

No thanks. From a person who marched and is still marching during the age of facebook and youtube, PLEASE DON"T TURN THE GUY NEXT TO YOU IN with a video/audio/picture capturing device.

or I'll personally stop during a performance and find you.

THANKS

:thumbup: