Audience etiquette with new pre-show

The downtime between shows may seem unimportant, but the more I think about the more I realize it's been an integral part of my drum corps (watching) experience. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm a little reluctant to give it up. Not that that's going to occur, at least any time soon. The pre-show is still unjudged, the judges will still be talking about the previous corps during them, so fans should have the right to treat it differently.

I hear you on this, and I agree. I think the only noticeable difference initially is that the "break" between corps is going to be a bit shorter. That's easy enough to plan around, but still stretch your legs and all. It's one reason I think we'll be seeing more frequent (but possibly shorter) scheduled intermissions down the road.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you on this, and I agree. I think the only noticeable difference initially is that the "break" between corps is going to be a bit shorter. That's easy enough to plan around, but still stretch your legs and all. It's one reason I think we'll be seeing more frequent (but possibly shorter) scheduled intermissions down the road.

Oh No! NOT INT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They wouldn't dare!

That's it. I'm out..... :doh:

And to cross your cross, can we yell at people to shut up and sit down during the pre-show like we're (traditionally) allowed to do during "the" show?

(Jeesh, it just hit me: picking on poor cameramen and yelling at fans to sit down and shut up. I really don't act this way, do I?)

:doh:

Ok, so we arn't that far apart on some issues :doh:

I never smoke in the stands, unless someone sitting in front of me opens an umbrella and blocks my view.

If it's not an umbrella or a support post, it's someone 7'10" tall. ALWAYS in front of ME

so to add to the cross-cross post with another cross, my LIVE view is usually worse than a pirated video and I usually buy TWO seats to be comfortable

You couldn't be more wring, especially on this topic.

Last weekend I had a great conversation at dinner with someone who was in on all of the discussions at the rules congress. DCI has brought in consultants to help make sure that "the show", especially at championships (and to a lesser degree at local shows, where possible) isn't so much a string of 11 minute productions, but one big seamless entertainment package. This is one way DCI can evolve and compete with other entertainment options.

For example, last year at Indy we saw some of the advertising become part of the show to a certain degree, the Aerobed video add with Jersey Surf being the chief example. You're going to see more of this type of thing in the future. Obviously, the video thing won't be possible everywhere, but other things will. The pre-show concept is something corps are already doing that falls into this category.

It's all about maximizing the audience experience. And if that means the die hards have to change their method of thinking about what happens between shows, so be it. It's not that hard to plan a restroom/concession trip in advance, or for the souvie stands to open earlier/close later. It's win-win for everyone.

The idea is to minimize the downtime between corps, and keep the audience attention occupied. It's just good entertainment planning.

I'm sure we could ask Bob to comment in more detail on this...

funny thing tho. I have been attending shows for my whole life. in between corps before preshows, i dont remember seeing fans zoning out waiting for the next corps to start up. in fact, it gaves fans a chance to talk about what they just saw.

they didnt need fireworks for retreat, video ads, etc. sure some people got up for a bathroom or a drink. that happens now.

this is just more of the continued dumbing down of America, and DCI has joined in. its really hard to talk to your neighbor while the latest DCI corporate partner ad blares over the jumbotron

I wish I had a definitive answer (I wasn't there, just going on stuff told to me by a few who were). I believe the consultant(s?) are entertainment industry experts who know how to put on a live event.

I know that we all sometimes wish that "regular joes" would be consulted on this stuff, but the hard truth is that most regular folks don't know, understand, or want to understand the ins and outs of live entertainment. They just want to be entertained. Experts with experience in the field, be it with stuff like the Disney parks, Broadway, touring concerts, already know and understand this stuff. It's all a matter of making it work within the context of a drum corps show. Some things will work (the Aerobed commercials, good pre-shows, etc) and some won't (the raucous music and smoke machines at World Class awards). It will take some manner of experimentation to get it right.

I know a lot of die-hards won't like it. Of course, if we really want to market DCI to the masses, get it back on TV, bring in new fans (and keep them), DCI and it's die-hard fans need to understand that this kind of experimentation HAS to happen.

There are a few individual corps that have already figured this out, and are adapting (or have adapted) accordingly.

and if it fails...will they change or listen to the "experts" more?

drum corps isnt your every day entertainment. it was never meant to be

If you attend other performances it is unacceptable to enter late or leave early. Additionally, it is unheard of to interupt or disrupt performances.

One of the most noteable exceptions was with Booth's Ford's Theater assasination of Lincoln. Not implying that the pre-show crowd disruption is in that category and not implying that it should be handled as was Booth.

I am not advocating pre-show as I feel that as others have stated, enjoying breaks between corps is part of a drum corp show.

That said, I want to reflect on pre-show should this ultimately be the way drum corps shows of the future are organized.

I feel that the difference in our beloved drum corps shows is the cultural starting line mentality and resulting transitions between the end of a performance and the starting line of another. We have to start somewhere so perhaps a well orchestrated pre-show leading directly into the start of a competitive performance is an effort to restate the cullture to mirror other performces such as opera, symphony, and broadway.

The key as others have pointed out is marking out a discernable period of performance start and intermissions. To be successful means changing the culture from separate individual corps performances to that of a single performance having several parts somewhat akin to a symphony performing several pieces before an intermission (we don't enter/leave between each piece). I agree with usher and fan education but am more inclined to emphasize that a well orchestrated the time between a performances pieces (corps) is executed as the really effective way to ensure minimal disruption.

I guess to that end I have some concerns as this is being sold as optional for each corps. To be successful this needs to be consistent otherwise the intended effect is lost and audience members will not be able to discern when it is acceptable to banter between corps and when it is not (Ok during SomeCorp without pre-show but better settle for SomeWorldChampCorp that has a pre-show). Lastly, I have concerns with how pre-show impacts adjudication anyhow. At least mentaly it has got to have an impression.

(aside: I recall my age-out year with SCV 1989 we felt complled to implement drill during our warm-up of Phantom of the Opera's Point of No Return as many other corps were doing that... until DCI East in Allentown, our first effort with the moving warm-up, where in morning prelims the corps ended up being about 4 yards off of our starting postion... our moving warm-up lasted exactly one pre-show)

Edited by Joe Salvatore

More INT ?

How are show site managers going to train their ushers regarding entry and exit during this time? Are people who like to spend time finding old friends and chatting in the stands going to be expected to be quite during all of pre-show now? I know that PR's preshow in 08 was really engrossing and was a great set-up for the show, but not everyone is going to be as good at that as PR was.

Just wondering if anyone else is concerned that pre-show is going to cause some friction between fans in the stands. ("hey, be quiet, my corps is on the field doing stuff!" "it's pre-show, I can do what I want!" etc.)

I think you have a valid concern here.........I think it should be totally acceptable to run to the restroom or grab a quick soda in between performances, as long as you are back for the announcement of the corps. I think there will be people who will get upset if you enter/exit during somebody's "pre-show". I know there will be people who get upset if people are talking during somebody's pre-show. Even worse, is that I think the line of when the pre-show starts/ends and when the actual competitive portion starts will probably confuse to the point that people will still be talking once somebody has actually started their competitive performance. Phantom 08 is the only pre-show spectacle that I was really into.............I don't really believe very many will be effective......how many corps have we seen do the "sway with the windchimes, ad nauseum, to little/no effect?" I don't mind the option, but now everybody is going to do it, and not necessarily well.......

GB

I think the audience etiquette with the pre show, on the whole, will be just as respectful as the the behaviour of Corps at retreat.

Who knows, maybe even better. Time will tell.

I think the audience etiquette with the pre show, on the whole, will be just as respectful as the the behaviour of Corps at retreat.

Who knows, maybe even better. Time will tell.

die hards will be better. young kids bussed in for the day i'm not so sure about