As long as we're stirring pots...Why so many camps?

Donny- Your last statement is so true. Too often, people forget DCA, the Alumni corps, and the mini-corps. Lot's of great talent and entertainment there.

Sadly, I think there are a few on DCP who have the highest praise for DCI's top 12 WC corps, and nothing but contempt for any other corps. Too bad.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right. It's called high school band. That's what has replaced the old "local" drum corps.

Exactly! I've said that many times! I'll take thousands of bands over a few hundred corps any day. More kids marching, playing and competing today than in 1971.

Donny- Your last statement is so true. Too often, people forget DCA, the Alumni corps, and the mini-corps. Lot's of great talent and entertainment there.

Sadly, I think there are a few on DCP who have the highest praise for DCI's top 12 WC corps, and nothing but contempt for any other corps. Too bad.

Of course, there are those who trash what DCI corps do today and extol the virtues of the all-age DCA, alumni and mini corps.

"Back in the day" my corps, which consisted mostly of local kids, practiced three days a week. The daily rehearsals didn't start till school was out (it was only then we began to learn the drill). "Imports" weren't usually there (and weren't expected to show up), until school let out. They were often housed at local homes. We didn't have camps.

Now-a-days,monthly camps are used to learn the music and go over basics. Guard perfects technique and might be learning portions of the show. Some corps have drill ready and will begin teaching. The dailies are all about perfection.

VK has had a mix this year of camps and weekly (Sunday) rehearsals. Daily rehearsals start the end of June.

Completely agree, but I feel its a pipe dream because I know of many (and I dont think my experience here is just mine) "kids" that try out for an upper level corps and DONT make it, say F*** it and dont march and improve those skills at all. Is it because incompetent staff? (from say high school level, again no offense to anyone) Or parents blindly looking at their childs playing? I dont know, but seriously if you get cut from a world class corps its because you need to practice more thats all.

it's not staff. it's just kids. it can be humbling to be cut, and often times some big egos get deflated to the point of giving up

Regardless, arguing about hypothetical situation (local corps model) is pointless. The local model ceased to work a long time ago for the most part, and NO corps currently sees it as a means to successfully run a corps. Forget about the argument about current MM's wanting to march with the best/World Class only (though I think that argument is true to an extent). Think more about facility costs for weekly rehearsals, having local staff and local membership available every weekend (with marching band in the fall, WGI in the winter/early spring), etc.

well you could have the local option even with Open Class corps. After all, they don't really "tour" til 2 weeks out.

You're right. It's called high school band. That's what has replaced the old "local" drum corps.

but, not all bands do competition. there are still many band directors out there that refuse to even acknowledge drum corps exists.

and let's be honest, some band directors only go to local events because they are FORCED to

but, not all bands do competition. there are still many band directors out there that refuse to even acknowledge drum corps exists.

and let's be honest, some band directors only go to local events because they are FORCED to

Of course not all compete, but there are thousands that do to varying degrees, as compared to a few hundred corps at it's peak.

Yes, some directors don't like drum corps at all...that's OK. There is room for all types of bands, given that there are something like 27000+ high schools and thousands of colleges in the US.

Exactly! I've said that many times! I'll take thousands of bands over a few hundred corps any day. More kids marching, playing and competing today than in 1971.

Let's add this into the discussion.

In 1981, when 98 corps showed up in Montreal in three divisions (and many, many more competed but didn't go to Championships), the conversion from picture shows to corps-style shows in marching band was well underway. People like you and me, Mike, were already sharing the skills we learned in drum corps with our local bands. Many times we started with our alma mater (because our band directors were still there, trusted us, and we worked cheap or for free), and then we slowly branched out as the movement spread.

The growth of band programs was guaranteed at that point because, 1) there were more and more corps alumni teaching advanced techniques, and 2) the population grew, therefore there were just more schools being built and more programs being established. Yet, at the same time the numbers of corps were shrinking due to many reasons, including but not limited to the economy, loss of sponsor, poor management, etc.

Given the comments above, though, wouldn't it be a perfect world if we could have thousands of bands AND hundreds of drum corps? And considering the numbers of school-age (middle/high schools and college) musicians, it's not unthinkable that it could happen with the right organization in place to foster that growth.

Given the current state of DCI and the organization as it exists with each member corps competing with the rest for members, placement and sponsorships (closely related to placement, and very self-serving), wouldn't an independent organization that looked out for the interest of ALL corps be more conducive to the success of all instead of just the powers that be?

Garry in Vegas

Of course not all compete, but there are thousands that do to varying degrees, as compared to a few hundred corps at it's peak.

Yes, some directors don't like drum corps at all...that's OK. There is room for all types of bands, given that there are something like 27000+ high schools and thousands of colleges in the US.

And love and peace will prevail, and there will be butterflies and fairys and amps and woodwinds. Actual magic dust will fly out of the synthesizers, and poop will not smell badly anymore. :w00t: