As long as we're stirring pots...Why so many camps?

Honestly I was just formulating a hypothesis out-loud (dangerous on dcp haha) but I think my point was missed WHY is it cuts seems to just give up without marching somewhere that is more their speed to work them-selves up? Some the best, and smartest, drum corps "youngsters" I know started in DCA or and open class DCI and worked themselves up.

I guess what I wanna leave here for those of us with A.D.D. (I can make fun of it I have it haha) is WHY to so many people try out for upper world class then give up? :worthy:

I would venture a guess in that it is the cost of doing so. They want a certain corps ( usually a top one) and if they can't have that, they keep their money for other things?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would venture a guess in that it is the cost of doing so. They want a certain corps ( usually a top one) and if they can't have that, they keep their money for other things?

That has been my experience with cut lists, If they don't get in the corps of their choice, they take the year off instead of going to a lower placing corps. Unfortunately this keeps the status quo.

DA

Well it's great to know with the absolute absence of education in drum corps that at least ONE corps is still teaching. :worthy:

What an ignorant statement. I freakin' learned how to teach from watching my drum corps instructors, many of whom are respected music educators in their day jobs. No education in drum corps? Whatever, dude.

What an ignorant statement. I freakin' learned how to teach from watching my drum corps instructors, many of whom are respected music educators in their day jobs. No education in drum corps? Whatever, dude.

Before getting overexcited, read the rest of the posts and note that it was already addressed and very well put to bed. The only ignorance in it was someone spouting off before reading the whole argument amd keeping a mistatement alive......... dude.

Now, now...that is not what was said or implied AT ALL. What was said is that we give kids that want the experience of drum corps a chance even if they have no drum corps or band experience at all. I have started kids in June that were playing every note by August almost every year I have been there. That is what was meant by this post. No one said that other corps dont teach or there is a lack of education every place else in DCI. The point is that we will teach kids with a desire that would perhaps NOT make another corps... providing they are willing to try hard.

I learned this activity in the 60's and if we didnt take everyone that wanted to try there would be NO drum corps today, I dare say. Ask some of the mentors in this activity and you will find out that some of the best instructors and soloists and performers BITD couldnt read music, and most corps were made up of more than half of the membership that was like that.

Please don't take it to a place that it doesnt need to go to.

Donny

One things I've always admired about Pioneer, is the above 'mission statement' has always been true of Pioneer. I remember when they were repeat Division 2 Champions/power-houses they pretty much accepted anyone who had the passion and commitment to commit to the winter/spring camps and tour. I've always heard nothing but great things through out Pioneer's history about your commitment to giving all members an education, even if that meant teaching a horn player from scratch. I know that some people can read your statements and possibly think "that's easy to say when you're not an 'elite' corps, or perennial semi-finalist. But Pioneer, as far as I know, has ALWAYS had this attitude: even at the height of their competitive success.

Kudos for that, and good luck this season

Before getting overexcited, read the rest of the posts and note that it was already addressed and very well put to bed. The only ignorance in it was someone spouting off before reading the whole argument amd keeping a mistatement alive......... dude.

My first reaction was also one of "no education in drum corps, are you kidding," but I think in context Bozzly was interpreting (misinterpreting, perhaps) a statement made by a Pioneer staffer who made a statement that COULD be taken to meant something along the lines of "most corps don't teach, they clean: at Pioneer we actually teach kids." I didn't take that from Donny at all, and I think Donny later clarified his thoughts. But I agree with 84skyrydr, and I don't think Bozzly was implying at all that Pioneer is the only corps that educates, and I can see that it would be easy to jump the gun and misread Bozzly's intentions (as I did the first time I read it).

Trying to brink this back to the OP's question:

Back in the day ( cough cough) when we were 100% local we had practice EVERY Sunday and then in spring it was every weekend. While the move in camps replaced this in modern times, I think that the evolution of M&M and show design has made it necessary to have more camps. What is expected of members today is at such a high level that the camps are needed to be able to get a more mature marching style as well as the grasp of such difficult music. I've noticed as more camps have been held, the attention to detail overall has risen ( interval, bearing etc.)

Only problem I see is that it runs the risk of fewer kids being able to make the financial cut. IMHO that would elevate the top corps once again from the rest of the pack.

It will be interesting to see how this works out over the next few years.

First thought that comes to mind is this: "Why should it cost thousands to be a member in the first place?" Oh, I forgot -- we no longer have such things as 'local' corps with weekly rehearsals that would make expensive travel and expensive monthly camps unnecessary.

Silly me, I'm another one of those old 'dinosaurs,' left over from an era when you joined the corps in your neighborhood, or at least near enough to travel to each week. Now, it's far more attractive to travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to be a member of a more select, elite corps, rather than building from the ground up in your own area.

Forgive the cynicism, but this is one of the things that irks me and many of my generation.

When I think of the term "local corps," it says to me a group that

1) starts beginners and gives them musical training,

2) performs at local events

3) probably does local parades

4) perhaps competes in contests that are mostly close to home but may involves some interesting travel every now and then,

5) may perform at a national event regularly or every few years

6) is financially reasonable.

In most parts of the country, that activity is still going strong.

When I think of the term "local corps," it says to me a group that

1) starts beginners and gives them musical training,

2) performs at local events

3) probably does local parades

4) perhaps competes in contests that are mostly close to home but may involves some interesting travel every now and then,

5) may perform at a national event regularly or every few years

6) is financially reasonable.

In most parts of the country, that activity is still going strong.

You're right. It's called high school band. That's what has replaced the old "local" drum corps.

I dont know if that is entirely true...there are DCA groups, Alumni groups and spin off minicorps and the like that still do this where I live. Admittedly it is not DCI finalists, yet as we know some of these groups are very good.

Donny